The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Looking for tire suggestions
Last Post: toadfish
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 792
0 A thunderstorm -weather that is
Last Post: oupa
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 161
10 New rider - XL1200S in Aus.
Last Post: Beelzeboss
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 83
Views: 6,744
0 Are the 04s the red headed step child?
Last Post: Spokane2303
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 3,552
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 25,284
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Beelzeboss
Replies: 5,676
Views: 692,067
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: JKKO
Replies: 99
Views: 21,163
0 Hello from Waipu, New Zealand
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 7
Views: 39
0 POLL: Vance and Hines
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Replies: 184
Views: 41,974
0 stock modded exhaust vs short shot
Last Post: elbozo
Replies: 0
Views: 17
0 78 primary chain adjustment bolt
Last Post: Darkseacret
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 397
0 Fork Spring Rate measurments, sag and more
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 54
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: pdavis5160
Replies: 189
Views: 20,042
0 91-99 Lifter Pin Upgrade to 00-05 Lifter Pin Screws
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 8
Views: 83
5 my 3D printed turn signals.. what would you print?
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 2,262
0 Any experience with this process?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 14
Views: 460
0 Frame-mount Danmoto baffle removal?
Last Post: Curbside
Replies: 8
Views: 4,780
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 383
Views: 101,113
0 Andrews flowmaster carb on ebay
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 79
0 compression problems
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 72
Views: 2,949
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: BWP 5p
Replies: 42,839
Views: 6,697,696
0 02 sensor query
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 205
0 Chrome or Dark Custom
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 25
Views: 3,362
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: frogg_nutts
Replies: 3,753
Views: 418,183
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,961
Views: 875,573
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,023
Views: 330,419
0 Stumped! Need assistance (No Power Over 3k RPM)
Last Post: xkreedx
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 81
Views: 9,678
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Replies: 580
Views: 122,919
0 Mainshaft- What happened here
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 62
Views: 5,566
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

And the later peak pressure occurs
Old 6 Days Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud ofneedspeed has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
the ironhead was prone to detonation largely due to small bore.
I'm no expert here so I won't say that this is wrong, but it contradicts my understanding of what makes an engine prone to detonation. The areas in the combustion chamber furthest from the point of ignition are where detonation usually starts. If so wouldn't a larger bore be more susceptible to detonation? I've been able to find writings from so called engine experts that say so. Haven't seen one that said the smaller bore was more prone to detonation. The consensus is that the larger bore is.

Quote:
..... when compared to the bt, the smaller bore detonated more....
It could be, but was it due to the size of the bore?
I've never heard that the ironhead detonated more than a bt. (assuming shovelhead?) but I'll take your word for it. It sure is possible. But wouldn't other factors besides the bore size be the more likely reason? Two possibilities being an aluminum head vs a cast iron head and shovel timing advance of 35° vs 40-45° of an ironhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
I don't think the Ironhead bore size makes it prone to detonation,....
I'm thinking the same

Quote:
why more prone to detonation over the shovel?
well there are spaces that you cannot get rid of and these are furthest from the point of ignition and mostly appear at the circumference of the piston and cylinder wall bore. these are potential hot spots and can lead to detonation.
The area just above the top ring is what is called crevice volume and yes, it is a source of detonation. But the shovelhead has that area too, and it's volume would be a bit more due to the larger bore.

Putting the top ring groove higher on the piston can reduce this crevice volume with a small increase in power but at the expense of some top land strength. Some pistons are being made with anti-detonation grooves on the top land to help protect the top ring from detonation waves. Wiseco's ironhead pistons have them.

Just a comment on the original post #1 question. Would it run better at 40°? You say "last 4 years runs great". Try it. If you can't feel a difference change it back to 36. You don't want to run any more advance than what is needed to make it run well.

I've been enjoying this discussion.
Old 5 Days Ago
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 83
Sportster/Buell Year #2: xlh
SHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of lightSHAKY DAVE is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
Post like this are what brings me here. You guys look much farther into these than most. Good discussion with experiences to back most of it up.
Not saying all are correct, or incorrect, but leads the reader into something he/she could research and make their own distinctions.
Well done guys.
man this is a great thread and i'm digging some of the discussion
Old 5 Days Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Hypothetical question- Would a smaller bore draw in less fuel, thus there would be a smaller concentration of fuel in one area of the combustion chamber than the other side of the chamber, making the less charged side hotter? <<Did I just post that?
Old 5 Days Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz1000 View Post
dam,, rick ur good,,, too good,,,,,butt can u speak English,, luv u bro,,,,,,
sorry cazz I wanted to address this yesterday but post#28 distracted me.HC =hydrocarbons.O2=oxygen.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 4 Days Ago
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Oh yeah!
Serious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
Hypothetical question- Would a smaller bore draw in less fuel, thus there would be a smaller concentration of fuel in one area of the combustion chamber than the other side of the chamber, making the less charged side hotter? <<Did I just post that?
No.
Old 4 Days Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well now, We have this thing called volumetric efficiency.
VE= 34546 X CFM / CID X RPM.
With which you calculate corrected Mass Air Intake.

I use the optimal formulation myself a lot to figure Carburator size for idiots I do work for ( NO PUTTING A Dominator 1000 ON IT WON'T MAKE IT GO FASTER )
... CFM needed =MAX-RPM X CID / 3456 ...
No matter how big the valves or cams, this is as big as the engine can use physically...
Can you tell I slept at a Holliday Inn Express..
Old 4 Days Ago

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Again, any "hot spots" are a result of incorrect combustion (detonation). Any hot spots would be a symptom not a cause.

The air/fuel mix in a cylinder is mostly the same throughout. Technically this is not absolute and there are some minor variations.

In the sense of what is being discussed, the hot spots actually begin as cold spots, pockets of fuel that are too far or shielded from the flame front. When these spots finally light the cylinder pressure is too high for them to burn in a controlled fashion and they burn explosively.

You have to slow things way down, super slow motion, to visualize what is happening. The Air/fuel mix does not all light at once or instantly. From the spark "kernel" a flame front passes through the combustion chamber as a wave of sorts. Ideally this is timed to cause peak cylinder pressure to occur ATDC as the piston is moving down so it can do work. If the timing is too late the fuel does little work and may even be still burning when the exhaust valve opens. If the spark is too early the cylinder pressure rises above what the fuel can tolerate and it burns explosively.