The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Active Threads
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 139
Views: 4,376
0 Oil Pump Upgrade with Pics
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 103
0 80amp relay?
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 52
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: Jollly Rogers
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 5,618
0 Teach me about front end and fork tube length
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 155
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,184
Views: 199,635
0 Wet Sump Ifo, fix and tools
Last Post: cxf
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 50
0 Amazing without the windshield.
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 197
Views: 38,778
0 New Harley Owner
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 120
3 Tool roll - what do you carry?
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 43
0 Race Report (Short Video)
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 294
0 detroit area, or oscoda area on weekends.
Last Post: gpydeski
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 333
0 sportster chin spoiler, yay or nay?
Replies: 6
Views: 61
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 12,360
Views: 1,125,268
0 Folkie's Rural Rambles
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 11,391
0 Cam cover swap
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 1
Views: 63
0 What Trips Do You have Planned for 2019
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 7
Views: 232
0 Tuesday 23rd July 2019: Lympstone
Replies: 12
Views: 724
0 Seen on Facebook market Place
Last Post: ken883/1200
Replies: 3
Views: 68
0 Lympstone, 23rd July 2019
Replies: 0
Views: 27
0 1982 Ironhead Washer Part
Last Post: ferretface
Views: 248
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 10,799
Views: 872,567
0 2010 xl 1200 low solo seat fit
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 265
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 9
Views: 161
0 Primary will not seal
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 33
Views: 653
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,033
Views: 171,999
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,158
Views: 781,975
0 Open relationships, swinging, threesomes, et al...
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 144
Views: 29,035
0 How to eliminate TSM on 2000
Last Post: steveolds
Replies: 23
Views: 483
0 gearing is too high ?
Replies: 27
Views: 1,245
More...
Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (63), kkbii (56), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (48), jay 21 (46), Matt-04-883 (45), timhypo (44), harleybuell2000 (43), Biker-Dale (41)
Tags
90ci, big bore, engine builder, hammer performance, patriot defender

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before.
"Big power builds aint for pussies" !
2006 Sportster XL1250C
Hammer Sledge Heads 1.98X1.61 Valves
Hammer 600 Cams
Big Ass CP/Hammer Pistons
Mikuni HSR 45 /Hammer Billet Manifold (Now HSR 48)
Jetted 27.5 slow,182.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Scarecrow Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Engine Oil
Napa 7148 oil filter
Max Power, 111.47
Max Torque, 84.39
Best 1/4 Mile ET to date 11.85
Best 1/4 Speed to date 115.14
Build by Jester Motorwerkz West
Old 10th February 2017
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
These big builds tend to be very custom in nature. That's why you don't see pre-configured packages for them on our web site. They're not a bolt-on kit that a guy can install in his garage on a Saturday afternoon without checking anything. That's the 1250 kit. These are a different animal, especially one at this level.

Many, many shops would therefore dismiss a clearance item like this, and proclaim that it's on the engine builder to check that. And they have a point. However, we try really, really hard to put people into combinations of parts that fit together and work with as little fitting and filing as possible. Even combinations that really push the limits, like this one. We just missed a little bit here.

It's really a very, very minor deal in the grand scheme of things. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my race motors I've opened up and found witness marks on valve pockets. If you're not getting those sometimes, you're not pushing things hard enough. We used to joke that it "helps the valves close". Seriously, if you're going to play at this level, it comes with the territory. Don't try to do a build at this level unless you're willing to deal the little things that might come up from pushing things so hard. Mat has been great, he understands completely. This is piddly.
Aaron, are the pistons at this level off the shelf at Hammer, or custom from CP?

I figure once the "formula" reaches a point where it seems everything is harmoniously working together and making big power, why couldn't a pre-configured package be made available? Isn't that sorta what the sledge heads+660 cams+90"+reverse dome was for awhile prior to the "BFH heads"?

I remember the valve pocket grinding I had to do on the original set of 88" reverse dome big bore pistons. Back then that was also a brand new setup like what Mat has now. The grinding was all at the edge of the pocket near the cylinder wall, and the depth was fine. That was with 2" intake valves. Later when I went to 90" the clearance on the pistons and 1.98" intake valves was fine out of the box. I figured refinements had been made.

Anyways, I hope to step up to BFH heads one of these days.

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 11th February 2017
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB12R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
MatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswracing View Post
What you have to understand is that this whole area is right where things get pushed in the quest for power. Overlap is a key ingredient to making power. But overlap pushes both piston-to-valve and valve-to-valve clearance. So there's a trade-off with valve sizes. You can sink the valves to get more clearance, but that causes a trade-off in compression. If you've got a big bore, that gives you more room for bigger valves, but you have to alter the valve angles to take advantage of it. You can do things in the piston design to give you more clearance there, but that has it's own set of trade-offs, for example you need to maintain enough strength in the floor of the pocket because it can get to thin between the pocket and the ring groove. You can move the ring pack down, but that has trade-offs too. Likewise, milling heads for more compression has trade-offs.

This is what it's all about. There are tons of trade-offs everywhere. How hard you push it, and how you choose to make those trade-offs, has everything to do with your final result.

Well, Mat's build pushes all these things. We're trying to thread a needle here, getting as much overlap and as much valve as we can into the motor, because a big motor needs all it can get. We missed on the valve pocket placement by a gnat's ass. We were trying to keep a thick floor.

These big builds tend to be very custom in nature. That's why you don't see pre-configured packages for them on our web site. They're not a bolt-on kit that a guy can install in his garage on a Saturday afternoon without checking anything. That's the 1250 kit. These are a different animal, especially one at this level.

Many, many shops would therefore dismiss a clearance item like this, and proclaim that it's on the engine builder to check that. And they have a point. However, we try really, really hard to put people into combinations of parts that fit together and work with as little fitting and filing as possible. Even combinations that really push the limits, like this one. We just missed a little bit here.

It's really a very, very minor deal in the grand scheme of things. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my race motors I've opened up and found witness marks on valve pockets. If you're not getting those sometimes, you're not pushing things hard enough. We used to joke that it "helps the valves close". Seriously, if you're going to play at this level, it comes with the territory. Don't try to do a build at this level unless you're willing to deal the little things that might come up from pushing things so hard. Mat has been great, he understands completely. This is piddly.

Was hoping you would chime in with useful information haha, Thanks Aaron!
HAMMER PERFORMANCE .600 Cams
1.725 Ratio S&S Rocker Arms
HAMMER PERFORMANCE Intake Manifold
HSR 48 Miunki
XR1200 Crank Conversion W/ Case Mod 34T
HAMMER PERFORMANCE Sledge+ Head Work
2.020" Intake and 1.630" Exhaust Valves
Conical Valve Springs
S&S Premium Lifters
HAMMER PERFORMANCE Billet Push Rod Bases
Barnett Clutch Hub With Scorpion Clutch
Dynatek 2000i
R&D MOTORSPORTS- TRANSMISSION WORK-REM ISF
WorldWideBearings
Patriot Defender Exhaust
Old 13th February 2017
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 88" 2003.
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
jkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant future

Hi Matt did you use 883 heads or 1200 heads?
Old 13th February 2017

MatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond reputeMatHormell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinkade View Post
Hi Matt did you use 883 heads or 1200 heads?
Heads started off as 07 Screamin eagle 1200 heads for carb'd version..
Here's a before and after pic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 13th February 2017

Guess I can give an update while I'm here. Got the front rotors installed.. Not the best looking ones but will get me rolling for now until I can afford some nice waved ones.. Took the measurements for the front wheel spacer needed.
Also modified a ducati rear brake bracket..worked well for mock up but will not function properly due to bends in the mount throwing it off. So I gave the bracket to my Machinist friend along with the specs for the front wheel spacer.. So he's going to make the pieces for me this week and then I can mount up the rear wheel and measure for those spacers.. Things are coming together.

Old 13th February 2017
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 88" 2003.
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
jkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatHormell View Post
Heads started off as 07 Screamin eagle 1200 heads for carb'd version..
Here's a before and after pic

I like that style chamber Matt!! Used a chamber like that on my carb TC88 flowed really well.
I thought you might have used 883 the valves are on a different angle with 883 heads than the late 1200, so valve releif needs cutting at different angles i like 1200 better. Hope you get it going soon so you can get to the track!!
Old 14th February 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinkade View Post
I like that style chamber Matt!! Used a chamber like that on my carb TC88 flowed really well.
I thought you might have used 883 the valves are on a different angle with 883 heads than the late 1200, so valve releif needs cutting at different angles i like 1200 better. Hope you get it going soon so you can get to the track!!
With the level of work I had done, either head can be used as a starting point, it's all changed

Last edited by MatHormell; 14th February 2017 at 04:22..
Old 15th February 2017

So got some bad news today . Looks like my axtells were damaged on the spiggots during shipping.. Not sure how as I wrapped them like crazy and 2nd day aired them.. But we are talking ups so really not surprised, but screwed none the less.. Definitely not in the position to fork out more $$$ right now while trying to buy a house.. So I'm thinking I'm gonna sell my progressive 970 shocks to. Cover this.. If anyone's interested I'd like $800 for them.. They have maybe 100 miles tops on them and retail for $1200.. All black in 14" if anyone is interested

Last edited by MatHormell; 16th February 2017 at 03:57..
Old 15th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond reputeseajay has a reputation beyond repute

Were the parts insured?