The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Active Threads
0 15 min rides
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 468
0 Just saying G'day
Last Post: big andy
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 3
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17,739
Views: 1,786,420
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: ronccc
Replies: 10,670
Views: 1,958,496
0 Battery melt down
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 19
Views: 732
0 new dude
Last Post: 72HOGXLCH
Replies: 12
Views: 289
0 What cams are these
Last Post: keithnh
Replies: 13
Views: 2,399
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 16,159
Views: 919,297
0 A Truck and Two Saddle Sores on Two Bikes to Jacksonville
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 2
Views: 95
0 short chrome sissy bar with pad, but bolt on, not quick detach.
Views: 1,149
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Replies: 5,156
Views: 308,897
0 Flush gas cap question
Last Post: GorilladaHun
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,249
0 removing clear coat on fork lowers
Last Post: jazzman
Replies: 11
Views: 268
0 Round Air Cleaner Poll
Last Post: TUCCI
Replies: 339
Views: 71,071
0 Who runs 70wt. oil
Last Post: needspeed
Replies: 65
Views: 10,638
0 harbor freight lift
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 480
0 Best Plug For A Points Conversion Sporty?
Last Post: lostjohnny
Replies: 0
Views: 28
0 air cleaner swap parts question
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 7
Views: 466
0 cycle shack 1.75" slip ons without a tune?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 2
Views: 190
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,771
Views: 7,451,641
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 8,014
Views: 1,665,668
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 24
Views: 2,060
0 Starting issues (No Spark)
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 831
0 48 O2 sensor?
Last Post: jvandivere
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 251
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Evos)
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 20
Views: 77,485
0 Ignotion power wire question
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 23
Views: 528
0 Howdy ya'll
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 448
0 Need help picking new mufflers
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 159
0 15 sporty braided rear brake line
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 75
0 Post up how many wheels you have in your household
Last Post: stikflote
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 337
More...
Members Birthdays
View Poll Results: TOO HOT to RIDE
Never 577 67.09%
90 32 3.72%
95 66 7.67%
Heat Index over 100 185 21.51%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam503 View Post
They were called "cruiser" bikes due to the stepped, lowered seat and taller, pullback handlebars. I got a set of Suzuki "L" handlebars at a swap meet years ago and put them on my 650 Yamaha S. Then I put the Yamaha "S" bars on my Suz. GS1100GK. The Gk had some really flat straight back handlebars that made it hard to balance at low speed.
My Suzuki GS650 GL had a set of low handlebars almost identical to my standard Sporty's set. The set was almost flat with less than a 2" step and it was the same width from front to back which caused me to almost be on my tiptoes while at a stop with its 30"+ seat height. My daughter used to ride with me for hours at a time in comfort. The bike's profile - other than the engine - was very similar to my Sporty.
I'm pretty sure "naked" was somewhere in the title and it was like an ancestor of the "super" or "muscle" bike like the Honda Magna or Yamaha V-Max which came a few years later. Those bikes, like the Kawasaki Vulcan 750, had the really high stepped seats which I thought looked ridiculous with a passenger on them. The wheelbase was longer on these and the controls started moving forward which was very uncomfortable for me.
Old 4th June 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Lowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really niceLowe175 is just really nice

Riding in temperatures of 90 -100 and greater is dangerous as dehydration becomes a serious problem. Frequent stops for rest and hydration becomes mandatory. Woke up once on a desert stretch 6 feet from the back of a semi doing 95 mph. Thank God he was moving on down the road or I would have become a splat on the road. Pulled off the road ahead and took a break. Doused myself down with water - totally wet and jumped back on the bike. 20 minutes later I was dry as a bone. Learned to respect weather conditions and take proper precautions after that.
Old 11th June 2019
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2004 XLH1200Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 FXDB
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold

Here in Texas it gets HOT. When the summer heat kicks in, I ride early and get back before 2 pm.
Old 11th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe175 View Post
Riding in temperatures of 90 -100 and greater is dangerous as dehydration becomes a serious problem. Frequent stops for rest and hydration becomes mandatory. Woke up once on a desert stretch 6 feet from the back of a semi doing 95 mph. Thank God he was moving on down the road or I would have become a splat on the road. Pulled off the road ahead and took a break. Doused myself down with water - totally wet and jumped back on the bike. 20 minutes later I was dry as a bone. Learned to respect weather conditions and take proper precautions after that.
I know what you mean. Back in my mountain biking days, I was by myself and over 20 miles away from any water in 98-degree, very humid heat in late July. I seriously didn't think I was going to make it back to my truck with several bottles of water in it. Heat and dehydration can make anybody stupid very quickly. Now when I ride my bike with the motor, I force myself to make frequent stops in hot weather even if I feel I don't need to (that feeling means the stupid part has already kicked in).

By the way, I still love mountain biking but my body can't take the abuse anymore. I would road bike but the texters have tried to kill me several times. I had more respect from drunk drivers.
Sponsored Links
Old 28th January 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
MrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe175 View Post
Sounds like more stops at the local pub to me!

Being from Perth in West Aus, half the year is above 90 degrees ( your speak) and most of Jan and Feb are above 110. Another 4 months are generally raining or cold ( by our standards- Anything below 65 is too bloody cold) So you either nut up or shut up with the heat.

Where I grew up though, 122 degrees was pretty much the norm through summer, so heat doesnt bother me generally.
Old 28th January 2020
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki H1 Mach III
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
Kbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
Sounds like more stops at the local pub to me!

Being from Perth in West Aus, half the year is above 90 degrees ( your speak) and most of Jan and Feb are above 110. Another 4 months are generally raining or cold ( by our standards- Anything below 65 is too bloody cold) So you either nut up or shut up with the heat.
Sounds like you might have your conversion table off a little.
https://www.holiday-weather.com/perth_au/averages/

I just checked.....Here in North Carolina USA our average is 11*C high and -1*C low. We consider a sunny 11*C day good riding weather.

It's more about temp/humidity/wind chill than ambient temperature. The ability of the air to take away heat determines comfort.

What ever the case, I'm glad you can ride in the weather you have. I hope to make a trip Down Under one day and do a ride-about if there is such a thing. Don't want to do it in 110*F though.
Old 28th January 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

My perfect riding temperature range is 55 to 85 degrees F. I'm hot-natured and I wear shorts and t-shirts all winter around the house, inside and outside. My wife is the opposite, so we argue over the thermostat setting a lot.

I usually wear my black helmet in cooler weather and my white helmet in hot weather, especially when the sun is blazing. If it's cloudy I wear the black one all the time. Both are full-face, different brands with great ventilation.
Old 28th January 2020
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR Low Rider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2019
SLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond reputeSLW210 has a reputation beyond repute

Never too hot for me to ride.
Old 28th January 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLW210 View Post
Never too hot for me to ride.
As long as I'm moving, I'm fine. I do ride in hotter weather but I'm not nearly as comfortable. A hot ride is good. A cool ride is better.
Old 30th January 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
MrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud ofMrChris has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts View Post
Sounds like you might have your conversion table off a little.
https://www.holiday-weather.com/perth_au/averages/

I just checked.....Here in North Carolina USA our average is 11*C high and -1*C low. We consider a sunny 11*C day good riding weather.

It's more about temp/humidity/wind chill than ambient temperature. The ability of the air to take away heat determines comfort.

What ever the case, I'm glad you can ride in the weather you have. I hope to make a trip Down Under one day and do a ride-about if there is such a thing. Don't want to do it in 110*F though.
Yeah, sorry, my conversion WAS a bit out, but that website is also hideously wrong.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...9225_All.shtml

Is the official government site. Closer to 80 - 100. averages.

You will be fine for most of it if you stick to the south coast, which to be honest is what most of society has done for that reason! Some of the coolest (in my opinion but I like extreme remote scenarios) stuff to do though is in the centre, which gets hot though.