The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,349
Views: 1,210,041
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8,312
Views: 1,819,614
0 Sixty years young
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,329
0 New from Ohio
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 465
0 Missippi Gulf Coast here.
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 834
0 new from socal
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 391
0 New guy here from Michigan
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,991
0 New from France
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 698
0 first xlch
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 822
0 Newbie seeks smoother ride
Last Post: Jerry P
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 4,134
0 Hello from Home of HD
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Views: 760
0 Normal or excessive intake valve buildup
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 77
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: madnss
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,266
Views: 123,645
0 2018 Iron 1275 Project
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 1,154
0 Stock vs. Modified
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 297
Views: 106,022
0 Rear seat frame bobber modification
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 28
0 Ultima Ignition Issues
Last Post: cbolden2
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,241
0 Pre 04 pistons in later motor?
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 42
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: maltesefalcon
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49,893
Views: 8,151,653
0 Crash Bar
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 107
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 27,246
Views: 2,830,000
0 2009 Iron 883 Wont Start!
Last Post: jsaintmartin
Replies: 40
Views: 510
0 How do you like your Dealer?
Last Post: Brad
Replies: 203
Views: 56,781
0 Different Methods of Aligning Rear-End
Last Post: robbie202
Replies: 71
Views: 14,531
0 Transmission Sprocket
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 220
0 New to me 1975 sporster xlh
Last Post: sungod
Replies: 30
Views: 1,779
0 1979 Ironhead oil level
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 248
0 One cylinder working ...
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 24
Views: 692
0 Oil pressure switch testing
Last Post: Mission1
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 72
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 234
Views: 20,821
More...
Members Birthdays
Ole, Matterz (56), pcouwenberg (54), StLSporty (45), acedoc (41), Feathers_bangor (32)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! Show us the finished repair.
Old 16th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonizedeyesockets View Post
Hey all! Some reason I wasn’t getting updates on this one. Thanks for the input!

Ok that’s wise to grind it. Am I looking to make it smooth for a good JB contact or like is it like I should be cutting it back to make it one angle. ?

When you say tube, are there aluminum tubes I could buy? Or what do you mean?

Any chance anyone knows the size? I suppose I can measure it easy enough I don’t know measurements like this very well thought might ask in case its common one.

Thanks all
I assume you are talking about grinding before epoxying the tube in place. No, you do not want a smooth surface, you want plenty of roughness (called tooth) to the surface. the main reason to grind it a bit is to clean the surface good before epoxy. Take your time, pull the carb apart, get some aluminum tubing from your local hobby shop like Iron Mike mentioned, carefully enlarge the hole with a drill to the size of the tube OD. Cut a short piece of tube (careful to keep it at flange level when installing so you will have less to take off to resurface it) and smear a bit of epoxy on the outside of the tube, place it in the hole, then add epoxy around the tube to mold a clean shape around the tube. After it sets up good, use a smaller drill bit (by hand) and clean out any epoxy you may have allowed to get in the passage. Resurface the epoxy where the mounting surface is using a coarser file to rough carve it and a finer file to finish it off and it's done. Pay attention that the gasket or carb does not block that hole off or the carb can't draw fuel from the bowl when engine is running. Make sure when you resurface that you do not make the mounting surface uneven (wavy). It needs a clean seal or you will get a vac. leak.

Hole size is not rocket critical, it's just the bowl vent. A very important vent but still just a vent. Just get tube that is approx. the same ID as the hole was. Save the rest of the tube. Like most of us, you will end up with a selection of tubes, springs, screws, etc. They will become useless clutter until you decide to throw them out. Then I guarantee that your next job will require something you just pitched out. Or as always happens too, you won't be able to remember where you put it and you will still have to buy another one. Then you will find it, probably as you look for a place to keep the new scrap.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1

Last edited by wedge; 16th January 2021 at 22:07..
Old 17th January 2021
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I assume you are talking about grinding before epoxying the tube in place. No, you do not want a smooth surface, you want plenty of roughness (called tooth) to the surface. the main reason to grind it a bit is to clean the surface good before epoxy. Take your time, pull the carb apart, get some aluminum tubing from your local hobby shop like Iron Mike mentioned, carefully enlarge the hole with a drill to the size of the tube OD. Cut a short piece of tube (careful to keep it at flange level when installing so you will have less to take off to resurface it) and smear a bit of epoxy on the outside of the tube, place it in the hole, then add epoxy around the tube to mold a clean shape around the tube. After it sets up good, use a smaller drill bit (by hand) and clean out any epoxy you may have allowed to get in the passage. Resurface the epoxy where the mounting surface is using a coarser file to rough carve it and a finer file to finish it off and it's done. Pay attention that the gasket or carb does not block that hole off or the carb can't draw fuel from the bowl when engine is running. Make sure when you resurface that you do not make the mounting surface uneven (wavy). It needs a clean seal or you will get a vac. leak.

Hole size is not rocket critical, it's just the bowl vent. A very important vent but still just a vent. Just get tube that is approx. the same ID as the hole was. Save the rest of the tube. Like most of us, you will end up with a selection of tubes, springs, screws, etc. They will become useless clutter until you decide to throw them out. Then I guarantee that your next job will require something you just pitched out. Or as always happens too, you won't be able to remember where you put it and you will still have to buy another one. Then you will find it, probably as you look for a place to keep the new scrap.
Haha! This is why I end with so much 'junk'. Forgot where I put it and buy more 'junk'! I bet I have enough 'junk' to start a small hardware store.
CRS is a b!tch!

Last edited by 60Gunner; 17th January 2021 at 00:29..
Old 17th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my "JUNK" is actually sorted and stored
2006 Sportster XL1250C
Hammer Sledge Heads 1.98X1.61 Valves
Hammer 600 Cams
Big Ass CP/Hammer Pistons
Mikuni HSR 45 /Hammer Billet Manifold (Now HSR 48)
Jetted 27.5 slow,182.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Scarecrow Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch (now with Barnett Pressure plate and 25% stiffer spring)
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Engine Oil
Napa 7148 oil filter
Max Power, 111.47
Max Torque, 84.39
Best 1/4 Mile ET to date 11.85
Best 1/4 Speed to date 115.14
Build by Jester Motorwerkz West
Old 17th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmangb View Post
Most of my "JUNK" is actually sorted and stored
So's mine, but do you know where I stored it? Neither do I.
Old 17th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Gunner View Post
Haha! This is why I end with so much 'junk'. Forgot where I put it and buy more 'junk'! I bet I have enough 'junk' to start a small hardware store.
CRS is a b!tch!
I could put Home Depot out of business worldwide if I can only remember where I stashed my junk.
Old 17th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

Even my nuts and bolts are relatively "sorted"
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL883 /1275
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
carbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant futurecarbonizedeyesockets has a brilliant future

hi all. a little update.

I wasn't able to find small diameter and thin aluminum tubing. I figured I would seek out a form for the repair and that the form would need release. I decided up on a 20D common nail with 3 layers of electrical tape to get the perfect fit for the broken carb air hole. Then I wanted to test options so (not on the carb!), I put a thin layer of aquaphor (cause I didnt have vasoline) on one taped nail and then tried red line assembly lube on another nail &tape. Mixed up the JBweld and had a go. Waited a full 24hrs and check back, to my joy both of the tape nails slide out for test. The assembly lube was easier to clean so I decided upon that.

So thats what I did. I got a new nail, 3 layers of tape, put a thin amount of redline on tape area where i didnt want the JBweld to adhere, placed it into the carb hole, and with fine paper edges and a q-tip made sure to clean off the area the weld needed to contact with aluminum carb body. Now this was the gamble part i think, either i over do it and it doesnt hold or i under do and am stuck with a nail in the carb! Anyway did my best surgical cleaning, said F it and had a go. Came back 24hrs later expecting the worst and it pulled out without a hitch. Cleaned it off, hand filed excess JB down flush with the gasket and here we are.

https://ibb.co/9Yyy8J6
https://ibb.co/FWbPYvf
https://ibb.co/71FVXcN
https://ibb.co/JFzjW84
https://ibb.co/9GdByxr

The good news is that I think that part is repaired.

Now my problem is I also cleaned the carb, replaced gaskets, accel pump, went to a 45 jet, and to SS hex bolts. It'll start with enricher full out, 15seconds and enrichener 1/2 dies. First mix was at 2 out. then tried to 1 1/2. tried upping the idle gradually on both since it sounded so low. I dont have a tach . But maybe I should be going to other way to richen it if its running w enrichener hmm. Off to read over sportsterpedia carb section.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Glad to see you got it repaired - JBWeld & Duct Tape will fix just about anything...

The SP CV40 page will give all the info to get the carb setup for the right Idle and Transfer operation. Just carefully follow the Idle Drop Method.

Sportsterpedia - Getting Ready to Tune Your CV40 Carb

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - An XLForum Information Resource!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Good job. It looks nice and solid. If it ever cracks over time (and I think it will not), all you need to do is the same thing again.