The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Lubrication and Lubricants
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Lubrication and Lubricants You guessed. Here is where everyone can argue over oil.

Active Threads
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19,958
Views: 2,032,890
0 Adjustable main with mag
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: mac93
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,179
Views: 325,434
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 714
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17,454
Views: 1,010,023
0 Mounting seat with out frame tabs?
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 2
Views: 54
0 What kind of saddle do you use on your sporty?
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 293
Views: 86,389
0 Cleaning carbon build-up
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 7
Views: 189
0 Changing Battery(with factory Alarm)
Last Post: SonWon
Views: 220
0 Gasket placement
Last Post: Billy1200
Replies: 0
Views: 18
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,117
Views: 1,712,537
0 Top end failure
Last Post: Mission1
Replies: 12
Views: 374
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 76
0 ....1
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,547
Views: 323,465
0 What a birthday I've had
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 45
Views: 1,434
0 Mystery transmission piece??
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 5
Views: 120
0 Keihin Butterfly crack
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Views: 209
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 3
Views: 88
0 still chasing my engine cutting out hot issue!
Last Post: supermotolew
Replies: 8
Views: 197
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 950
Views: 92,087
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: mrmom9r
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 884
0 Don't Think I Ever Did This
Last Post: Veeflys
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 593
0 Hammer 1250 kit with fp3
Last Post: Pagey
Replies: 2
Views: 630
0 Sticky Ironhead trans
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 3
Views: 115
0 Inherited Ironhead
Replies: 9
Views: 243
0 HF bike lift
Last Post: BigLerowski
Replies: 12
Views: 436
0 Graduated to Ironhead
Replies: 14
Views: 484
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 47,712
Views: 7,637,549
0 Cutting Out Cracking Popping, Etc, After Fully Warmed Up
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 127
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2014
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
taco has disabled reputation

hey guys I am new here so don't chew my arse to bad , but been lurking here and there since I bought my 2014 883 iron in august, well I have had carry over pretty bad with only 1700 miles so I took it back to dealer 2 weeks ago and they blew me off I think (kept it for couple days and said nothing wrong just checked oil level and took it for ride) they told me running it hard would do that. I don't think I rode it that hard. any way since this thread was still recent I thought I would jump in and say thanks for info I got 20-50 syn i'll ride that this winter 1/2quart low to see if that helps come spring i'll go straight 50 1/2quart low. something has got to happen brand new bike and I had oil running down side of engine yes it was coming out of air box. I have rode twice since then(dealer and lowering oil) and nothing leaking, will monitor to see how MY bike needs to be kept and ridden. I know it is a cruiser not a sport bike but shame if I gotta ride like an old man
i'll try to be less wordy next time
Old 9th November 2014
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883/1200 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Can Am Spyder F3-S SE6
Other Motorcycle Year: 2019
Graywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond repute

Just an added comment to this thread - the oil leaking from the air cleaner might not be the only source. I had oil getting on the side of the bike and could find no leaks. It usually happened when running the Interstate highways for a while at high speeds. Found out it was coming from the primary vent line that terminated on the right side above and forward of the rear wheel. I bought the 01 used and not real sure if that vent line should have ran on back or not. I added a short piece of hose and ran it on to the rear of the bike. No more oil down the side! It wasn't enough oil venting to have any effect on the level in the primary. It was only some light oil mist, but it doesn't take much oil to make a big mess.

That might be something to check if you can't find any other source for the mess on the side of the bike.
Old 10th November 2014
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
DK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
One trick I've learn from a girl friend : she use a sanitary serviet aka as Kotex at the bottom of her air cleaner, she swear not a single drop of oil get pass it. She say you have to change it less often than a woman will do. Beat all the AC recommendation I've seen so far. LOL
That is true. Bikers have been using that trick for decades, BUT, here are some pictures showing what happens when all of that oily mess goes back into the motor instead of being vented into the atmosphere.

www.DKCustom.com
Phone: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com
DK Custom YouTube Videos
Instagram.com/dkcustomproducts
Lots of Photo's at Pinterest

Old 10th November 2014
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Rollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud of

WoW - Thanks for the pic.
Old 10th November 2014

DK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond reputeDK Custom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
WoW - Thanks for the pic.
Yeah, its amazing how much venting to the atmosphere can help an engine.
Old 10th November 2014
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Rollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud ofRollbar has much to be proud of

Hey DK Thanks for all the great info / help
Old 10th November 2014
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

I run an external horse shoe breather with indexed bolts running directly under the bike.

Tell the guy running the cylinder on the picture number 2 to richen his AFR, you can see is having a spot that will turn into a hole if he still run his bike that lean.
Old 11th November 2014
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883xlc/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
AnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant futureAnaChris has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
I know it is a cruiser not a sport bike but shame if I gotta ride like an old man
i'll try to be less wordy next time
My Sporty hits 5th gear at 115mph keep at it buddy!
Old 15th May 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
taco has disabled reputation

hey sorry to bring this thread back up with out researching forum more but after a few rides with a little oil drip had big time blow bye. did about a 9 hour round trip to Virginia mountains and back to county by the bay, had a very little spittle, drove to work next day very easily and had a major puking just from 15min ride with oil level just above line when warm. took it back to dealer and they said they could not find anything only thing if I have a problem again would be to take heads apart and rebuild under warranty . I like my ride but this ain't right and down right embarrassing at work. I would never have bought it if I new this was going to happen on a brand new motorcycle. can some one tell me how I can complain to Harley Headquarters ?
Old 15th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
hey sorry to bring this thread back up with out researching forum more but after a few rides with a little oil drip had big time blow bye. did about a 9 hour round trip to Virginia mountains and back to county by the bay, had a very little spittle, drove to work next day very easily and had a major puking just from 15min ride with oil level just above line when warm. took it back to dealer and they said they could not find anything only thing if I have a problem again would be to take heads apart and rebuild under warranty . I like my ride but this ain't right and down right embarrassing at work. I would never have bought it if I new this was going to happen on a brand new motorcycle. can some one tell me how I can complain to Harley Headquarters ?
Why complain to HD headquarters? The dealer said if it happened again (and it probably will) they will rebuild under warranty. Probably you have one or two bad umbrella valves, and if they replace them, and anything else during the rebuild, seems like they are taking care of you.

Kevin