The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Hammer 1250
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 196
0 Andrews flowmaster carb on ebay
Last Post: davesz1r
Replies: 21
Views: 1,400
0 04 brake upgrade question
Last Post: Calcustom
Replies: 3
Views: 30
0 Primary Dip Stick?
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 241
0 Noise and rod play
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 433
0 Don't Think I Ever Did This
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 70
0 1966 XLH...sort of
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 292
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 396
Views: 43,456
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,424
Views: 1,008,993
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 19,902
Views: 2,025,471
0 Bikers choice main jet threads
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 171
0 Sportster 883 mini electronic speedo
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 511
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Doc308
Replies: 463
Views: 98,596
0 41mm V-Twin Narrow-glide conversion for XL
Last Post: farmall
Views: 466
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 47
Views: 2,992
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,804
Views: 2,059,792
0 Spark Plug Indexing
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 25
Views: 1,661
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 47,693
Views: 7,632,987
0 1992 XL ignition explained
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 415
0 Counterfeit Mikuni Carbs
Last Post: davesz1r
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,488
0 front exhaust pipe keeps slipping off, help
Last Post: 67170
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 2,014
0 Stairman question
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 117
0 New Guy Here - Handlebar Question
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 2
Views: 149
0 yost power tube guy
Last Post: kitabel
Replies: 14
Views: 338
0 FDR Drive pothole did this...if u can believe it
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 11
Views: 569
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 51
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 6,958
Views: 985,338
5 Is my timing correct?
Last Post: rerb
Replies: 4
Views: 112
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,085
Views: 347,302
0 who has NOT had problems with the XL
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 762
Views: 202,110
More...
Members Birthdays
debster, brknwng (72), TerryW (67), doc_davo (65), clh, Hanoverfiste (48), XL-DecentGlide (45), nobleff517 (45), joekangiser (42), scroggy (36), sgvrider (33)
Tags
ecm, powervision, tts, tuner, unlock

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1250X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Davo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you use someone’s computer to update the pv? Because if the shop can reflash your ecm it makes me think your pv unit might be the problem.
Old 17th April 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
SportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud ofSportyHD has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunightas View Post
Unfortunately this is not it, I have in fact rode the bike with the PV connected and powered up just to see if I could still see basic info like the Tach etc. but nope, all I could see is the error message during my ride. Thanks anyway, always worth a shot!

Not sure if it will show gauges etc without first linking to your bike. I may be wrong. Just confirming you’ve tried connecting it to the bike with the ignition and toggle switch on run. Engine NOT running. Your situation is really weird. Makes me think it’s something simple. Like others said, it’d be interesting to see if there’s a piggyback system on the bike.
Old 17th April 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Lunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
Have you verified there isn't some sort of tuner already attached to the bike some where else ? this could be preventing the ecm from receiving the new information.

also the contacts on the eCM are gold plated and were only designed for 5 plug in's max.. you may be needing an ecm anyway if there was /is a piggy back system.

keep us updated.
It doesn’t look like there is any existing piggyback tuner. The ecm wire(s) go right to the harness, no module present. I will post a pic later when I get to work.

Old 17th April 2019
Biker

Lunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Lunightas, you started your thread in the 'Forum FAQ / How To' section, which is for posts about the Forum, and how to use the forum functions, so I'll move it to the 'Electrical and Ignition' section.
Oops, and thank you. I have been lurking for a while, but still not great with navigating the different sections, let alone posting in the correct one.
Old 17th April 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyHD View Post
Not sure if it will show gauges etc without first linking to your bike. I may be wrong. Just confirming you’ve tried connecting it to the bike with the ignition and toggle switch on run. Engine NOT running. Your situation is really weird. Makes me think it’s something simple. Like others said, it’d be interesting to see if there’s a piggyback system on the bike.
This is going to be the first thing I try when I get the ECM back. How was the dealer able to tune it if it was locked, right?

Two years ago I bought a AGM battery. It died this year when I was trying to start it for the first time his season. Because of this I am sensitive to putting a load on the battery with it not running. So I was basically going: Key in ignition > toggle switch RUN > Push button to start. Within 3 seconds. Since I didn’t want the tuner, and light etc to be on with the bike not running. Maybe I just wasn’t even giving it a chance to “marry” before the bike was running. I thought it would marry while it was idling. The instructions weren’t specific about this from what I remember reading.

I do have a trickle charger, and I did also install a Drag Specialties high efficiency Regulator, so I hope that helps my battery in the long run, I also want to make sure my bike is idling at a solid 1kRPM to generate enough current to charge the battery.

Saturday: 70 degrees and partly cloudy. It would be a dream to have my ecm back by then, plug it in like you suggest and then be able to ride all day
Old 17th April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
shanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond repute

Will the PV show the PV Device Info screen while connected to the bike?
If it does it should show the current PV firmware version.

The latest versions are-
PV_FIRMWARE-2.0.44-1596 AND TUNE DATABASE (PV_TUNEDB-0.0.10.00)

Have you installed the WinPV software?
http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/p...Power%20Vision
I would make sure the Power Vision has the latest firmware and Tune DB using the PV Update Client. (should be a shortcut added to your start menu when WinPV in installed)
Connect the PV to the computer with a USB cable, it will power up and you will see "PCLink Mode" screen. Then run the update client.

Have you seen this DynoJet document?

Fail to Unlock or Flash Procedures

Find your Owner's Manual, Wiring Diagram and Parts List here :

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm
Enter your VIN OR
Use the search - enter year and model

If something doesn't work on your Sportster look here:
SportsterPedia.com
Old 17th April 2019
Biker

Heres a pic of the ECM cable going to the harness. I really wish I could put the pic in this view instead of using a link. I did lookup "posting pictures" on the XLforum.

https://ibb.co/tCQwSyr
Old 17th April 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanneba View Post
Will the PV show the PV Device Info screen while connected to the bike?
If it does it should show the current PV firmware version.

The latest versions are-
PV_FIRMWARE-2.0.44-1596 AND TUNE DATABASE (PV_TUNEDB-0.0.10.00)

Have you installed the WinPV software?
http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/p...Power%20Vision
I would make sure the Power Vision has the latest firmware and Tune DB using the PV Update Client. (should be a shortcut added to your start menu when WinPV in installed)
Connect the PV to the computer with a USB cable, it will power up and you will see "PCLink Mode" screen. Then run the update client.

Have you seen this DynoJet document?

Fail to Unlock or Flash Procedures
As mentioned previously, I don't have a windows based computer. And furthermore, I'm not comfortable with asking someone to borrow their computer for this consuming project.

I did actually see and use the document you posted. I did enter the code to no avail. I'll likely try this again when I get the ECM back.

I looked this morning again at the instructions that come with the PV. They explain how to plug in the PV, and how to download tunes...but they don't show how to marry the PV to the bike, I think they should add a section. It could be as simple as: turn ignition on, turn toggle switch to RUN, wait 10 sec. That is, if this is how it's done.
Old 17th April 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1250X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Davo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a cheap laptop, much easier to get an understanding of your map, modify your tunes, monitor your progress, update the firmware, software etc. The don’t need a computer sales pitch is more directed at the tuning process, because once upon a time we used to have to carry a laptop around to log data etc.
Old 17th April 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo_137 View Post
Get yourself a cheap laptop, much easier to get an understanding of your map, modify your tunes, monitor your progress, update the firmware, software etc. The don’t need a computer sales pitch is more directed at the tuning process, because once upon a time we used to have to carry a laptop around to log data etc.
No.

I'm not getting a laptop for this. I bought the PV for the tuning, which you say is what it is directed at. Additionally, when I spoke with Dynojet (before sending my ECM to TTS) they did not once mention the need for a laptop.

If I can't get it to work without a laptop, I'll return it, and put my stock AC back on, yes that's how hard I'm digging in my heels on this one.