The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Active Threads
0 XL FORUM Offcial Sciatica Thread
Last Post: Traxx
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 19,436
0 Where you carry your tool bag?
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 82
Views: 17,090
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 108
Views: 3,047
0 Hello from New York
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 99
0 Hi from Calgary
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 42
0 V&H StraightShots Wrapped?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 85
0 Hello
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 139
0 When Were You Born?
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 330
Views: 80,194
0 XLCH Crazy voltage spike
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 38
Views: 1,574
0 New to 2002 hugger 883
Replies: 10
Views: 321
0 Dying battery, starter, mystery gremlin?
Replies: 2
Views: 48
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 13,954
Views: 782,224
0 what brand of spark plug do you use?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 309
Views: 76,312
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 157
Views: 14,908
0 Wet Sump Ifo, fix and tools
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 55
Views: 3,704
0 Stock mirrors. Can you see behind you?
Last Post: 83XLX
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 562
Views: 111,378
0 My new LED headlight
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 265
0 Lets See your bike on a scenic overlook
Last Post: andy_t
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 143
Views: 26,247
0 83 xlx
Last Post: Island Dude
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 67
0 Your Favorite Style
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 481
Views: 190,523
0 Fuel injection quick connect o-ring
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 38
Views: 16,343
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 14,453
Views: 1,345,796
0 Range With EFI 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: motorend
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 95
Views: 58,237
0 1986-2003 Customs-Your Photos!
Last Post: Jer
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 324
Views: 98,875
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 45,229
Views: 7,135,333
5 1200 or 883
Last Post: a-sad-anorak
Replies: 1,052
Views: 326,615
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Replies: 1,185
Views: 290,079
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: 1skullster1
Replies: 1,024
Views: 234,359
0 It's sportsterdude.248's birthday!
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Views: 175
0 Help me figure out weird engine braking.
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 1,752
More...
Members Birthdays
black pearl (75), SDREDD (58), pig (56), BonRu (54), cbass (46), ssm7530 (44), HawkeyeTX, SxysCowboy (36)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Chief of Security

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

I could do that, and I will, but after a little investigating, and I emphasize little, it's obvious what the added volume of an 18" long hose to the combustion chamber you're testing does.
It wouldn't be surprising to find minor differences in the accuracy of different gauges tho. Just not 45psi.
I'm 110% positive the issue is the schrader valve location.
I'll post my results using the Pittsburgh gauge with the hose from the Actron.
HSR42 25 pilot 2 turns Y8 needle jet 97 needle 2nd groove 170 main
Dragtron II AC K&N filter/VR1 20W50/Spectro 85wt Primary Oil

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Chief of Security

60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Well upon further review that's proven to be more difficult than expected. 2 different sized quick connect fittings. Even swapping those out would require adapters as where they attach to the gauge is different sized as well.
The male end attached to the hoses is crimped on.
If you think about it tho the schrader valve isolates the hose from the combustion chamber you're testing.
I never gave it a though til I came up with the low readings and looked into it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

I usually try to 'test' the gauge I'm using against another in the toolbox before using to check accuracy across both.
I've had not so good luck with cheap ones and expensive ones.
I got the HF ones last and they were both within a few psi of each other.
The actual PSI reading is not as important as the difference between the cylinders anyway.
Too many variables to getting 'actual' pressure readings unless it tests below 100.
Then I'd worry.

As far as length goes, XLF member, MatHormell, got a good reading from this long hosed rig.

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R Nine T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
As far as length goes, XLF member, MatHormell, got a good reading from this long hosed rig.
Because if the schrader valve is at the end of the adapter, at the end of the cylinder head end of the hose, the length and and ID of the hose will only affect how many compression strokes will be required to max out your reading.

BUT, if the schrader valve is at the gauge end of the hose (totally stupid!!!) and you do the math using 60gunners' 18" hose, and assuming the hose is 1/4" ID, the effective volume it adds to a late 1200 Sportsters' 62cc combustion chambers will drop your cranking pressure about 40 psi. It will vary some depending on static CR and cylinder bore.

As to the actual PSI reading not being important I guess you've never machined cylinder heads or piston domes/crowns to get the cranking pressure you wanted/needed. Cranking pressure (and the dynamic CR which is related) is frequently more important than static CR.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief of Security

Matt would've gotten a reading around 130 with all that hose and fittings if there wasn't a schrader valve at the head end.
Take the schrader valve out and test. The longer the hose the lower the reading. That's a lot of added volume to 62cc.
As long as you know this tho, the actual number isn't as important for the average Joe. Especially if you have a known "good" number with the same gauge/hose setup.

Tomcat does make a point when it comes to knowing how far you can push cranking pressure when it comes to detonation. But for the average joe just knowing the schrader valve should be there and isn't and explains the lower but equal numbers is good enough.
I was fine with my 165 readings because I knew this after 5 minutes of researching it.
Still nice to know the actual after a rebuild tho I suppose and there is a mathematical way to make the correction and come pretty close.
Had I known this prior to buying the tester I wouldn't have bought it tho.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief of Security

Looked into various options at making the HF gauges read an accurate psi from making or buying a hose with the valve to drilling/tapping for a valve in the existing hose.
I've come to the conclusion it's simply not worth the time, trouble and expense when ones that do read accurate can be found for not much more $$$.

One thing I've noticed about the Actron tho is the threads on the adapters are not very clean. I would chase them. The adapters on the Pittsburgh are much nicer and I'll use those since I have them. If the gauge ever gives out I could adapt the fitting on the Pittsburgh to use the bigger quick connect coupler and hose from the Actron since the accuracy of the gauge itself doesn't appear to be an issue as Hippy pointed out.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 3 Weeks Ago at 20:02..