The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 149
Views: 11,511
0 Occasional carb spit back, am I missing something?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 874
0 Power Loss At Sustained High RPMs
Last Post: T. Clark
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 438
7 Oldest Motorcycle You've Owned
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 2,904
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,275
Views: 285,881
0 2020 Sportster?
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,165
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 244
Views: 77,529
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 222
Views: 63,520
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,686
Views: 1,513,988
0 WTF is it with these F'n rocker cover leaks!
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 1,107
0 Alternator/generator Conversion
Last Post: wymanv
Replies: 128
Views: 68,256
0 Can you Drown a Sportster ???
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 22
Views: 594
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 4,822
0 how many run baffles, run open, or just run stock
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 410
Views: 93,584
0 For Sale: SE Race Ignition Tuner 32124-04B/Stock ICM
Replies: 9
Views: 287
0 Cold Start. Then stall
Replies: 1
Views: 80
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 83
Views: 8,077
0 Clutch issues
Replies: 6
Views: 133
0 75 XLH Bendix Carb Spitting Gas - Video
Replies: 13
Views: 497
0 Brake Line Part Number ?
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 242
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 4,182
Views: 481,324
0 looking to swap mids for forwards
Last Post: tmessenger
Replies: 1
Views: 112
0 Tire cupping
Last Post: LLOYD883
Replies: 8
Views: 247
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,115
Views: 777,112
0 Proud Dad
Replies: 11
Views: 254
0 Massachusetts rides 2019
Replies: 8
Views: 208
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 12,183
Views: 1,112,290
0 I found a 57 drag chopper 20 years in storage, ridden 5hs
Last Post: phooster
Replies: 19
Views: 1,114
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Replies: 100
Views: 5,431
7 I met a living legend.
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,472
More...
Members Birthdays
merc, schvamf (47), MikeLightnin, o2man98 (39), Toadz (31), WingNut15B (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Hours Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerguy View Post
Actually, I think the lever boot is necessary of what just happened to my buddy's clutch lever. (This is what prompted me to clean mine out.) He had lubed his cable regularly over the Sportster's 30K miles but he had never cleaned it out like Doc Harley's video showed. The lever had suddenly gotten so tight with the packed lube and grit, neither one of us could hardly squeeze it at all. He cleaned it out, lubed it lightly and it was good as new again. This would not have been fun if it had happened in the middle of a trip and you didn't know the cause. I would still disassemble and clean it regularly, I just wouldn't like the possibility of it suddenly tightening up during a ride.

It is no more unsightly than the boot on the cable adjuster nuts; you actually have to look for it to notice it. It is molded to fit perfectly on the Shadow and it just looks like an extension of the black cable housing. I didn't even notice the difference between my Shadow's and my buddy's Sportster's lever until they were parked side-by-side. It was one of those, "Hey, look at that!" moments. Seriously, how many times have you ever noticed anyone else's levers unless they were aftermarket or custom?
Granted I'm talking largely anecdotal experience here, but I've just never had one or seen one get that dirty it seized up.

Maybe there are other variables here like ambient conditions and/or type of lubricant used.

Kinda like some chain lubes seem to do more harm than good attracting and holding dirt more than lubricating.

I wonder say if Chris (Parrothead) has ever disassembled and cleaned his levers in 250k miles and more than a decade.

I know our (ironically also) 30k 07 doesn't seem to have any issue here and likely won't anytime soon if my previous experience is an indicator.

Anyway I see these rubber covers on most of our project bikes (largely JAPanInc. and other Asian dual sport, Moto cross, and scooters) and I can understand how they may help in two of the three cases

I just don't think it's a typical need on Harley street bikes.

Ymmv and certainly proves it can. I just think it's atypical.
Sponsored Links
Old 12 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy's situation could be atypical from the majority of H-D riders because he uses his everyday that is above freezing and he commutes a long distance to work, rain or shine. He also parks it outside 90% of the time whether at home or work. Neither one of us even thought about checking the grit inside the lever assembly (we were focusing on the cable) until we were troubleshooting and came across Doc Harley's video. He was going to replace the clutch cable without even thinking of cleaning the lever assembly.
Like I said, once it was cleaned and sparingly lubed, the lever assembly was like new again. The cable had been regularly lubed for years, so that was not the issue here.
I checked the factory manual and the owner's manual and neither one referenced cleaning the assembly on a regular basis. I never had to do it before on any of my 55 years of motorcycles but I always kept them in the garage and rode them in dry weather, like most of us do.
Old 8 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

With well over 300,000 on my three Sportys, I've not had any issue. Occasionally shoot some lude in n and ride. Never thohght about accumulated crud until this thread. Ride 12 months of the year from-20F-140F, without issues. Mnaybe the ice build up in winter flushes that crud out?
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 7 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

My Roadster has over 100,000 miles and I also ride it every day, except when the roads are icy. I occasionally lube the clutch cable with a cable luber and I use Tri Flow aerosol. I've never had a problem with accumulated buildup. I'll have the levers off this week, and I'll inspect them for any buildup, but I honestly don't expect to see any. I'll report back here if I do.
Old 7 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Plus 1 on that Tri Flow, great stuff!
Old 7 Hours Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Plus 1 on that Tri Flow, great stuff!
Same stuff I use, been using on my bicycles, doors, tools and anything else that is metal and moves. It was already in my clutch cable housing before I cleaned out my lever assembly and the action was very smooth. Now it's even smoother and it didn't take long to do at all. I'm just glad I found out about taking that extra step. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned before Doc Harley brought it up. Apparently, according to him, it is an issue that is overlooked. I plan to do it every time that I adjust the clutch @ 10K intervals.