The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Sportster weak lifter - what does it sound like?
Last Post: ironmanx
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 117
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: goblin_dust
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,700
Views: 7,222,223
0 Rewire with Thunderheat. Getting horn, back brake and back light, nothing else
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,428
0 oil return for stroker
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 146
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,366
Views: 1,475,776
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 3,045
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 14
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 22
Views: 338
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 6,512
Views: 861,652
0 So, anyone wanna talk flat track???
Replies: 105
Views: 13,038
0 Fact or fiction?
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 32
Views: 1,324
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 9,413
0 Pre-rubber stock exhaust to '08 heads and cylinders
Last Post: olrider
Replies: 8
Views: 220
0 question for our machinists
Last Post: yoshi
Replies: 16
Views: 780
0 Mid or forward controls.
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 158
Views: 42,629
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 900
Views: 40,935
0 Selling a complete bike vs parting out
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 10
Views: 166
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 14,616
Views: 816,639
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,368
Views: 174,659
0 77 XLH Starting issues no needle bearing in primary?
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 153
0 supply oil line seeping
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 343
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 6
Views: 222
0 Primary Cover Starter Shaft Needle Bearing
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 6
Views: 1,706
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,855
0 Wanna build a cheap big bore stroker ?
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,525
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,443
Views: 1,839,523
0 Holiday sale on 1250 kits through 12/31! $495 any kit big fin or small!
Last Post: aswracing
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 50
0 2002 Sporty backfire through carb
Last Post: budoka
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 20
Views: 609
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 965
Views: 126,758
5 HAMMER vs NRHS vs S&S Conversion Kits
Last Post: Lukidj
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 93
Views: 8,364
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2019
Biker

Nrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of light
Default the milwauke 8 made me love my sporty

now, dont get me wrong. the softails I rode today were technological marvels. they were FAST and torquey. (sp?) they had amazing lean angles. they had great brakes..........they were......boring.

I am at the end of my harley freedom promise time frame, so I thought Id try out a couple bikes. the sport glide and the street bob. the bob, not overpriced, but the pipes were so high you have to have tiny bags. the sportglide had handlebars like a gsxr. to get taller bars? all new cables. with abs, thats a lot of money. no thanks. the price? terrible on the glide, the bob reasonable, but so stripped down, add a grand and only if you value shop at jp and ebay. meh.

the test ride? lol. lets just say hd has sucked the spirit out of the new bikes in the name of a "better" engine. so lame. so boring. so expensive. I got back on my 48 and realized I will only ride the evo from now on. will harley make some sort of boring m8 model for the sporty? I hope not. lets keep the sporty the last real harley.

now when I see a m8 based bike on the road, I smile, realize they basically ride an overpriced jap bike and laugh at them. sad to see the soul of hd seems to have died in an attempt to compete.

long live the sporty.
Old 9th June 2019
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200CX Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2017
b0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud ofb0fh has much to be proud of

100% agree
Old 9th June 2019
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883n Iron (2019 engine)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

i pay respect to others opinions
but i don't think completely like that
imo m8 bikes are modern Harley with pushrods and tons of torque and are different by any metric bike....

also i think and agree they are old men's bike... boring... heavy... and much overpriced...

with 25k euros i would not buy for sure an fxdr...
maybe a brand new Kawa 1000 Ninja, a racing CBR1000RR or a Panigale...

for the moment i love my Sporty stock 883... i flog her at 100% every time i want to... on my mountains...
it would be different if i were on a more powerful bike... or a different one whatsoever...

that said... i would be not displeased of an m8 like version of the evo Sporty...

Last edited by Nibelungen; 9th June 2019 at 14:36..
Old 9th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: MAGGY
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: HAMMRD
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BEAR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2016
joes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond repute

the M8 is a result of engineering evolution...pun there somewhere. it is butter smooth and very powerful off the showroom floor. yep pricey. what do you expect the moco to come up with, a clunky, budget priced bike that "marks its spot"? plenty of used older tech out there if that's your thing...
Old 9th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: MAGGY
Sportster/Buell Model #2: HAMMRD
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BEAR
Other Motorcycle Year: 2016
joes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond reputejoes95bobber has a reputation beyond repute

i was at a picnic yesterday and met a guy who has worked in the Milwaukee plant for many years. whole family has actually. great stories....any way he assures me that the sporty will remain in the line up for quite some time. i hope he is right....

he also said there is an employee discount for bikes of some sort....he is now working on getting a livewire delivered.....to the new shop...
Old 9th June 2019
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Blue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Scoot has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, I am just wondering what your expectations were when you went on this test ride?

Were you expecting lightning fast acceleration and massive lean angle?

Or were you expecting a nice comfy ride for hours on end at 80 mph down the freeway?

I'm just wondering because as much as I appreciate my Sportster I would also love to ride an M8 on a long multistate ride. Yes, I have done this on my sportster as well but if I had the option I would definitely take a touring bike in that case.

Also the M8 is very easily one of the most powerful engines in the HD lineup and stupid easy to get more power with a simple cam swap.

What's done to your 1200?

Glad you were able to ride other bikes though and appreciate what the sportster is.

-Sent from my BlackBerry
Old 9th June 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
denguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond reputedenguy has a reputation beyond repute

Love my stock 95 1200, get compliments regularly on the ''beautiful, beautiful'' bike, usually from young guys. Surprised me because I thought modern people weren't aware of such things.
Old 10th June 2019
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm good with my Stage 1 883R. I like the looks of the Heritage Classic but it's way out of my price range & far too heavy. I can do 300 mile days on my sporty in comfort
Old 10th June 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrg2brn View Post
now, dont get me wrong. the softails I rode today were technological marvels. they were FAST and torquey. (sp?) they had amazing lean angles. they had great brakes..........they were......boring.

I am at the end of my harley freedom promise time frame, so I thought Id try out a couple bikes. the sport glide and the street bob. the bob, not overpriced, but the pipes were so high you have to have tiny bags. the sportglide had handlebars like a gsxr. to get taller bars? all new cables. with abs, thats a lot of money. no thanks. the price? terrible on the glide, the bob reasonable, but so stripped down, add a grand and only if you value shop at jp and ebay. meh.

the test ride? lol. lets just say hd has sucked the spirit out of the new bikes in the name of a "better" engine. so lame. so boring. so expensive. I got back on my 48 and realized I will only ride the evo from now on. will harley make some sort of boring m8 model for the sporty? I hope not. lets keep the sporty the last real harley.

now when I see a m8 based bike on the road, I smile, realize they basically ride an overpriced jap bike and laugh at them. sad to see the soul of hd seems to have died in an attempt to compete.

long live the sporty.

Some feel that way about your "new" 48.
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Sponsored Links
Old 10th June 2019
Biker

Nrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of lightNrg2brn is a glorious beacon of light

I don't like the technology that changes the feel such as the rubber engine but fuel injection and belt drive were great additions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk