The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 I guess it''s true. (2019 The Last Year For The Sportster?)
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 5,051
0 trans slips in 2nd gear 1989 883
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 91
0 Start up
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 197
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4,234
Views: 492,115
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 436
Views: 107,719
0 Buell heads and cams!
Last Post: aswracing
Replies: 2
Views: 57
0 Bike can't go over 75miles.
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 13
Views: 714
0 What oil and filter to use in 2005 1200c
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 39
Views: 1,037
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,853
Views: 887,807
0 gearing is too high ?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 65
Views: 3,577
0 Need some advice on 1983 Ironhead
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 4
Views: 113
0 First startup
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 10
Views: 372
0 Problem with my 1998 1200S
Last Post: ftwflh
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 127
0 Dirt bike front wheel??
Last Post: 73HEAD
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 825
0 Torx screws on clutch cover
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 5
Views: 133
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 4,729
Views: 1,805,387
0 Harley Restoration Book
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 89
0 Share your Sunrise OR Sunset Photos!
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 1,037
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,074
Views: 1,197,565
0 Power Loss At Sustained High RPMs
Last Post: rocketnorton
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 874
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Last Post: lespaul6
Replies: 351
Views: 72,805
0 Grenade Plate
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 17
Views: 511
0 Tachos, heads, drives abd Cables
Last Post: Scootin-Newton
Replies: 19
Views: 1,129
0 Call the new 2020 models Sportsters?
Last Post: jzink0883
Replies: 140
Views: 12,490
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 44,715
Views: 7,030,713
0 Rocker Lockers - Quiet Down Annoying Top End Ticking
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 69
Views: 20,305
0 Sadly Leaving
Last Post: jcn59
Replies: 18
Views: 672
0 Bigger valves
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 182
0 DK Coil and Coil/Key Relocation Customer Review and Pics
Replies: 85
Views: 22,088
0 New Here, building drag bike with Buell M2
Last Post: aswracing
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 119
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
eim, ignition, stock, timing, voes

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2017
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Pigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enough
Default E1984 - Original HD Coil, EI, VOES- Timing

I understand how to time a vehicle using a timing light, and know the basic procedure for the ironhead with a 100% stock ignition. (Sticky referenced)

All components are working correctly, but I would like to check the timing since I have not done so since I bough the bike in 2009.( Who knows if this was even done correctly)

Do I need to set base timing with the VOES signal to EI Module grounded? Or is it as simple as setting up the view plug, bumping up to 3000rpm, setting my dial back timing light to 35-40 degrees and set advance plate so the TDC mark in the center of the view window.

Long story short, does VOES change anything in the procedure?

FSM has two charts one stating 55 BTDC and 40 BTDC

I'm currently set to 38 BTDC @ 3000 rpm with VOES connected and operating.
Old 8th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Scuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond reputeScuba10jdl has a reputation beyond repute

Dialbacks tend not to work well with HD ignitions (dual spark) because of the odd timing. Unless you've got one of the fancy ones that can handle dual spark you should set it to zero and treat it as a standard timing light.

If all your parts are stock, you can use the stock procedure for that setup. However, if you are using an aftermarket module they typically have different curves so you need to follow their specific procedure.

2002 XLH883/HAMMER1250 - 1972 XLCH 1000 - Few things in life are as satisfying as riding a Sportster with no destination in mind.
Old 8th February 2017
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

It has been a while since I have checked the timing of my 1978 with Ultima ignition set to single fire with a VOES, but I recall grounding the wire from the VOES while setting the timing. In fact I had installed a connector on that wire specifically so that I could do this easily. But this is not in the FSM and I do not recall the technical reason for doing it. I believe that a local Sportster mechanic suggested it.

Best to see what others say.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 8th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigthang View Post
is it as simple as setting up the view plug, bumping up to 3000rpm, setting my dial back timing light to 35-40 degrees and set advance plate so the TDC mark in the center of the view window.
As mentioned, this would be correct __IF__ your timing light can deal with the dual-fire, non-symetrical ignition...

Quote:
I'm currently set to 38 BTDC @ 3000 rpm with VOES connected and operating.
How do you know this?

===========================

Here's the chart from the VOES section of the Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/h...lectric_switch

You'll notice that the VOES line to the ICM is grounded to give you the Advanced Curve - That is the curve that would be activated while at Idle or almost any throttle setting while the bike is standing still (it has a high vacuum level at idle) - If you disconnect the VOES line, you will be running on the Retarded Curve (meaning less advanced) because it would simulate having a low vacuum level (like when you accelerate hard)...

The EVO factory manual for 1994 says VOES should be connected and functional - Set Idle Speed to 1650-1950 - Using regular timing light, look for the front cylinder ADVANCE MARK on the flywheel in the timing window (NOT THE TDC MARK)...

.....~\
__o~~o__
IXL2Relax
>>>> Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<

Reference the Sportsterpedia
An XLForum collection of technical info & advice

Last edited by IXL2Relax; 9th February 2017 at 19:21..
Old 8th February 2017
Master Mechanic

Pigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enoughPigthang will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl View Post
Dialbacks tend not to work well with HD ignitions (dual spark) because of the odd timing. Unless you've got one of the fancy ones that can handle dual spark you should set it to zero and treat it as a standard timing light.

If all your parts are stock, you can use the stock procedure for that setup. However, if you are using an aftermarket module they typically have different curves so you need to follow their specific procedure.
It's a fancy one. I'm an aircooled VW mechanic and needed the fancy one to check RPMs, Dwell, and ignition timing at WOT since the stock VW pulley's only have idle timing marks. It's one of my most valuable diagnostic tools.

Link to Summit for specs. (Amazon has best price)

Back to setting the advance for stock internals, set with VOES closed to ground or open to set it at the retarded most timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
As mentioned, this would be correct __IF__ your timing light can deal with the dual-fire, non-symmetrical ignition...

"I'm currently set to 38 BTDC @ 3000 rpm with VOES connected and operating."

How do you know this?

I know it is at 38 degrees advance because of the type of timing light I have. You select the advance you want and it internally retards the light to show the TDC mark for the front cylinder in the inspection hole. (Aircooled VW doesn’t have WOT timing marks and this is how I set the advance on those primitive engines.)

Using a modern timing light will let you advance your engine with much more precision.

Summary of VOES info.

Idle: ECM receives a ground signal (allows engine to advance completely)

WOT or Under Load: EI receives no signal because the switch is open (brings the advance down to prevent overheating and pinging)

Using this knowledge, and using the fact that 3000RPM might cause the switch to go open, we should make sure that the EI is reading a ground signal to set the MAX advance the engine can achieve.

Example:
Switch grounded (Simulates high manifold pressure), ignition timing will be at 40 BTDC.
Switch unplugged (Simulates open switch low manifold pressure), ignition timing will be 40 minus the retard from EI

In conclusion, we should make sure the EI is reading ground so that at idle and high vacuum situations, the engine does not go over 40⁰ BTDC otherwise we could cause internal melt downs in these scenarios.

Would this be correct thinking?
Old 8th February 2017
Master Mechanic

Here is the 83-85 timing table <---- My Scoot

Here is the 80-82 timing table

So it looks like they want the VOES connected and set the timing to 55 BTDC which if the manifold pressure isn't great enough would cause the advance to go greater than 55 BTDC. If the VOES stays closed while the bike is stationary this would make the max advance 55 BTDC and would go lower when the switch opens under load.

Thats a lot of advance either way. Hence why I'm asking to make sure it's not a typo.
Old 8th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
T. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud ofT. Clark has much to be proud of

Nope, 55 degrees is not a typo. My 1984 Evo big twin had the same advance curve and was very prone to detonation.

Before you set your advance timing to 55 degrees make sure you still have the module with that high advance, otherwise your timing will be way too advanced. Part number for 1983 module is 32410-83, for 1984 it is 32410-84.

Perhaps you could also double check with the VOES disconnected, fast idle should read 40 degrees.
Old 8th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

The VOES DOES NOT SET THE TIMING - It only switches between the two timing curves programmed into the Ignition Control Module...

It is the Module that changes the actual timing setting based on the engine RPM - The ICM has two separate curves programmed - One is more advanced than the other - So you have an Advanced Curve and a Retarded Curce (the Retarded Curve is less advanced than the Advanced Curve but is still advanced before top dead center)

So, the VOES, based on manifold vacuum, tells the ICM to switch between these two curves...

If your timing light is that capable, I'd be happy to set the PREFERRED max advance you want (using the set-back) at 3000 RPM - Then rev the engine up to 4500rpm a couple times to make sure the advance does not go farther...

HD never really published their advance curves, although some folks either tested them to measure what the curves were or found out some how - There are a few places that show curves, but certainly not for every module...

What module number do you have in there now??

.....~\
__o~~o__
IXL2Relax

Last edited by IXL2Relax; 9th February 2017 at 01:43..
Old 9th February 2017
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
The VOES DOES NOT SET THE TIMING - It only switches between the two timing curves programmed into the Ignition Control Module...

It is the Module that changes the actual timing setting based on the engine RPM - The ICM has two separate curves programmed - One is more advanced than the other - So you have an Advanced Curve and a Retarded Curce (the Retarded Curve is less advanced than the Advanced Curve but is still advanced before top dead center)

So, the VOES, based on manifold vacuum, tells the ICM to switch between these two curves...

If you timing light is that capable, I'd be happy to set the PREFERRED max advance you want (using the set-back) at 3000 RPM - Then rev the engine up to 4500rpm a could times to make sure the advance does not go farther...

HD never really published their advance curves, although some folks either tested them to measure what the curves were or found out some how - There are a few places that show curves, but certainly not for every module...

What module number do you have in there now??

.....~\
__o~~o__
IXL2Relax

Precisely what I was asking in a round out way, which curve to set base dynamic timing to. I understand this is not a vacuum pod, but an off-on switch. No need to yell

I'll double check the part number this weekend. I do know it's single spark because there is only one Hall effect pick up on the advance plate.

Basically all I have to do is leave everything connected as normal and set the front cyl adv. timing mark in the display hole, after verifying -83/84 HD part number.

T.Clark answered my question.

I can then check the precise degree by using the dial back feature on my light for peace of mind, small adjustment, and documentation.
Sponsored Links
Old 9th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Precisely what I was asking in a round out way, which curve to set base dynamic timing to. I understand this is not a vacuum pod, but an off-on switch. No need to yell
Well - Not yelling - Just emphasizing... Whatever

.....~\
__o~~o__
IXL2Relax