The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMŪ

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUMŪ > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 873
Views: 75,842
0 Vm38 mikuni carb
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 217
5 What can cause the engine to suddenly misfire?
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 157
0 Glutten for punishment sportster cams it ain't
Last Post: ken883/1200
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 238
0 Rear Tire alignment - suddenly it's off. Why ? - 2011 XL1200CP
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 601
0 Killed 2 batteries (not ran out of juice)
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 83
0 Currently in deep shift...
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 303
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,519
Views: 265,443
0 What have I done wrong? (Cleaned Carb, Now Won't Start)
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Views: 58
0 cam cover removal
Last Post: jazzman
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 67
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 12,962
Views: 1,183,547
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 10,140
Views: 1,720,614
0 Use Force Sportster Exhaust
Last Post: Veeflys
Replies: 8
Views: 244
0 `83 XLX rebuid and questions thread
Last Post: spamer80
Replies: 155
Views: 12,187
0 Leaking Head Gasket, Loose head bolts
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 100
Views: 3,135
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,955
Views: 291,634
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,677
Views: 7,022,398
0 Calling all short frame riders . . .
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 194
Views: 18,115
0 1967 Harley Sprint SS250
Replies: 48
Views: 7,068
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Last Post: Tonyb65
Replies: 22
Views: 7,319
0 Call the new 2020 models Sportsters?
Replies: 136
Views: 11,640
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: rubine
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 742
Views: 19,450
0 erratic Badlands indicator module
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 28
0 Solenoid rebuild drained battery
Last Post: mikam123
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 223
0 good ride today
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 92
0 Show me your non-stock breather systems
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 295
Views: 115,108
0 How the heck do you remove seat with rear wheel on
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 218
0 Oil Temp
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 32
Views: 6,006
0 Speedo ideals
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 4
Views: 131
10 how low do you let it idle
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 4,716
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
clutch, crankcase, ironhead, xlch xl ironhead

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
frittatta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1970 sporty, hard to crank

Greets from sweden!
Iīve searched the forum and the interwebz and cant find any info or thread about this.

I bought a 1970xlch, ironhead, a couple of months ago. Probably it has been sitting without oil for a while, how long I canīt tell.
I started working on it a week or two ago and was about to adjust the valves. I put it in gear, reached for the back tire and tried to rotate the engine. And it was stuck, totally stuck. Couldnīt kick it around either at this point.
Then, after some thinking, I poored diesel through the sparkplugs thinking it would disolve any eventual rust inside of the cylinders.
A couple of days later, still no luck turning the engine over via the tire. But I was able to turn the engine over using a wrench on the crank nut. (spark plugs and valves removed.)
I worked that wrench pretty hard, got the engine turning a bit easier. At some points during the rotation itīs still hard to rotate it. Almost as itīs stuck again.
Yesterday I filled the motor with new oil, re-did the transmission, adjusted the valves.
I took a small lightbulb, sent it down via the sparkplug hole. The cylinder is smooth and shiny.

Now I can turn the engine over by using the kick, even if itīs sluggish. It still has two points during, I think, one rotation where it feels like getting stuck again. Me thinking that being when it turns from up- to down-stroke.
Rotating it with the back tire aint even worth tryinī.
If I have it in gear, the back wheel turns with the engine.

I donīt know where to look or what to do next. Iīm afraid that if I keep kicking it i might break it.

One idea I had was that I atleast should get the engine running, or atleast try and start it. So I was about to adjust the timing, so I was about to look for the timing mark. However, having the crank nut covered in itīs oily case I canīt turn the engine using that, and finding the timing mark using the kick is a nightmare.

It feels as if I checked the whole engine except the clutch.

Does someone recognize this problem? Any ideas, feeback or advice?

Thx in advance!
/Fred
Old 9th April 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

You may get a better response in the Ironhead section, for pre-1986 Sportsters.

It may require disassembly to determine, as post 70 of this thread shows a bike (206,000 miles) runiing with 1/2 the crank bearings gone.
http://xlforum.net/forums/s....php?t=2005408

However, seized bearings may be the issue.
Best to wait for responses from Ironhead owners.
Old 10th April 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

a good product to use is aero-kroil by kano industries for breaking free stuck pistons. you can use a soft object to determine position of the drag through the plug hole. if the cyls had a sizeable taper and the rings siezed in the larger area and when moving the pistons to the narrower area can cause drag since the rings can not move freely, just one option.
you need to pre-lube the engine because it sat so long before cranking. but to be safe, a D&C is usually a safe thing to do for a machine in this condition.
Old 10th April 2017
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XB12X
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 65
ChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to beholdChefRex is a splendid one to behold

You say it was sitting without oil for a while, was the oil tank empty? And did you fill the tank? When sitting oil can leak into the bottom end causing considerable drag.
Are you trying to turn the engine with the plugs in?
Old 10th April 2017
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
a good product to use is aero-kroil by kano industries for breaking free stuck pistons. you can use a soft object to determine position of the drag through the plug hole. if the cyls had a sizeable taper and the rings siezed in the larger area and when moving the pistons to the narrower area can cause drag since the rings can not move freely, just one option.
you need to pre-lube the engine because it sat so long before cranking. but to be safe, a D&C is usually a safe thing to do for a machine in this condition.
D&C?

Thx for the advice.
I'll probably remove the transmission chain and crank nut. Read somewhere that it could be the crank bearing.
Old 10th April 2017
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRex View Post
You say it was sitting without oil for a while, was the oil tank empty? And did you fill the tank? When sitting oil can leak into the bottom end causing considerable drag.
Are you trying to turn the engine with the plugs in?
Thank you for the advice!

There was a very small amount left in the oil tank and very little in the engine itself.
Is there an easy way to clean the "old" oil out Of the engine?
You say "bottom of the engine", does it clog up and become rubbery? Is there an easy way too get it out? Or does the engine chew it up?
I've changed the oil in the transmission and there was a lot of small flakes almost dusty metal.

I've removed the spark plugs and the pushrods.
Old 10th April 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

D&C = dig & see what is wrong
these old iron usually tolerate being setup long term. but iron and aluminum are dissimilar metals and will corrode together. so ring seizure is usually a first suspect. if it were me, i would pull the top end off to examine the piston assy and then do a rod shake and inspection. if the drag goes away, the rest of the bearings probably ok. it can come off in frame and all it cost is some time and gaskets. and since the top is off, check for cyl taper and for valve recession and seat leakage.

Old 10th April 2017
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
D&C = dig & see what is wrong
these old iron usually tolerate being setup long term. but iron and aluminum are dissimilar metals and will corrode together. so ring seizure is usually a first suspect. if it were me, i would pull the top end off to examine the piston assy and then do a rod shake and inspection. if the drag goes away, the rest of the bearings probably ok. it can come off in frame and all it cost is some time and gaskets. and since the top is off, check for cyl taper and for valve recession and seat leakage.

Seems logic the rings would start to rust if the motor has been left with little or none oil in it.
Iīve had a small light bulb inside of the cylinders. They are all shiny and neat. But I guess that the rings could be in a worse state without leaving a mark inside of the cylinders?
Old 11th April 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

rings corrode in the piston lands and yes the do rust to the cylinder walls at times. stroking it over with diesel will wipe the walls but the rings can still be stuck.
Sponsored Links
Old 16th February 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 67
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 69
oldschool has disabled reputation

Fill oil tank 1/2 eway put a half qt in lower end through timing plug hole with light oil plugs out attach a rope and put it in gear slowly tow it down the street spinning the motor over it might loosen up use 2nd gear what do you have to loose ? might work might not ?