The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Posting pics
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 102
0 1969 XLCH Pics
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 5
0 Stock mirrors. Can you see behind you?
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 552
Views: 108,168
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 656
Views: 74,953
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 434
Views: 106,264
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,701
Views: 7,025,940
0 2020 Bikes listed on the HD website
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 209
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,192
Views: 182,515
0 What have I done wrong? (Cleaned Carb, Now Won't Start)
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 308
0 ***DK Custom-Performance Rear Shocks-Twin Adjustable Bitubos***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 1,190
0 Hard Struts /Weak Shocks & Torn Wires
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Views: 95
0 Two small bearings (balls) in drain plug
Last Post: mikam123
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 670
0 ***DK Custom Products Outlaw Permanent HiFlow Reusable Oil Filter***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 4,553
0 Looking back
Last Post: Crash7557
Replies: 0
Views: 7
0 XLCH Sticker on front fork clamp cover
Last Post: 72HOGXLCH
Replies: 3
Views: 54
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 4,221
Views: 490,754
0 82 Ironhead producing power but won't charge battery.
Last Post: eheijst
Replies: 2
Views: 35
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,785
Views: 364,390
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 13,026
Views: 1,188,918
0 oil filter choices
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 31
Views: 670
0 For all the 79 owners
Replies: 8
Views: 188
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,959
Views: 291,732
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 2,254
Views: 204,323
5 Sportster ignition 2006
Last Post: olddudeone
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 2,345
Views: 297,868
0 33mm Front Fork Service-Disassembly
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 3,046
0 one sporty and $5000... What would you do?
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 309
Views: 141,530
0 Ironhead Starter Solenoid
Last Post: XLoSaurus
Replies: 2
Views: 61
0 Starter under load
Replies: 14
Views: 427
0 Analysis results on my run of Rotella T
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 94
Views: 28,511
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
1977 sportster, cable, clutch, ironhead, snap

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Roane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default clutch diagnosis? first dragging then snapped, then able to shift again... ideas?

So, I've been lurking on the forum for about a year as I started working on getting my old 77 Sportster back in shape after an engine rebuild. I'm in the home stretch but just had a weird clutch issue. In testing out the bike after checking compression, adjusting the valves and putting on a new generator/voltage regulator, I noticed the clutch was causing the bike to creep. I wanted to heat up the engine to adjust the carburetor and messed with the cable a bit (not much but thought I could just turn the cable out a bit since I was in a rush instead of dealing with the problem correctly). Once the bike warmed up and went a few miles the clutch became harder to dis-engage and I had to kick it into neutral while rolling a good clip every time I got near to stopping. At one point, when I pulled the clutch in, the lever just went to the handlebar and I lost all use of the clutch. While stopped, I put it into neutral and gave it a little running push to try to pop it into second, which didn't work but, after stalling, the clutch was again able to engage and disengage (with the dragging again). I limped home in second and tried it through the gears there. Everything seemed to work again, but am wondering what would cause the cable to pop back into position, and if it might stay there. I was going to adjust the clutch properly this time, but would rather not open up the primary and mess with the ramp etc, since it was opened very recently to get the clutch cable installed (not by me). A mechanic I know said the massive spring in there might have just helped pop things back into place. Any ideas?
Old 5th October 2018
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2004 XLH1200Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 FXDB
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold1Scooter is a splendid one to behold

Pull the primary cover and look at the clutch ramp. Look for all 3 balls are in place, excessive wear on the ramp and did the stake come loose. Adjust the clutch per Factor Service Manual and you should be good.
Old 5th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks. Was hoping to avoid that but will do it. Any advice on what I need to have on hand before I open her other than what's in the manual. I've not done that yet (a shop replaced the cable a few weeks ago when I was getting it inspected for re-entry to the world).
Old 5th October 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

I had a stiff/no lever situation a few years ago and it turned out to be the tube that connects to the ramp broke off. I had it welded back on and all was fine. I don’t think that will be your issue though, since you said it started working again. For clutch creep, I would say go through the adjustment procedure again. For stiff lever I would take a close look at the ramp mechanism and/or the clutch basket and hub itself - the surfaces where the frictions and steeles ride need to be smooth with no where for them to get hung up. For this you would need a clutch compressor and maybe a new primary gasket.
Old 5th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Many thanks.
Old 7th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

So, I adjusted the clutch twice as per the manual, but it now doesn’t want to disengage. Two questions if anybody has the time. When I released the lock nut and turned in the screw to just where there is tension, I can’t get a full two turn in after that because it just locks in, too tight to turn. It’s been a long time since I did this procedure but I don’t recall it locking down like that. Is it normal? Also, any suggestion on tweaks? Should I back the lock nut out more? Anything this might signal other than user error?
Old 7th October 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

if, once the adjusting screw touches the thrust bearing collar in the release disc, you can't turn it any more than just a little and it stops, something is wrong and i think it's time to pull it apart (clutch) and see what's going on. you should be able to get several turns - at least 1/8" worth of total distance - on the adjuster before the release disc is bottomed out.
Old 7th October 2018
Ironhead Rider

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000, Stock
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 900 Hardtail Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
Yellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud ofYellowstone Kelly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roane View Post
At one point, when I pulled the clutch in, the lever just went to the handlebar and I lost all use of the clutch. While stopped, I put it into neutral and gave it a little running push to try to pop it into second, which didn't work but, after stalling, the clutch was again able to engage and disengage (with the dragging again).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Scooter View Post
Pull the primary cover and look at the clutch ramp. Look for all 3 balls are in place, excessive wear on the ramp and did the stake come loose. Adjust the clutch per Factor Service Manual and you should be good.
Something's not right inside the primary cover. Do what 1Scooter and Doodah suggest and pull it off and take a look.

http://xlforum.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic72446_4.gif
Old 7th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Ok,
Last question before I yank it. Apologies if this is a dumb one but you are really turning that screw in so it will eventually bottom out in the plate and not move? Was just wondering if maybe I could be going the wrong direction somehow. And, should I grab new parts before opening it so I can put in a new ramp etc just in case? And run 20w50 since I’m in New York now and winter comes?

And should
Sponsored Links
Old 7th October 2018
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

In southwestern Ontario I always switch from 50W to 20W50 for the fall and winter

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]