The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Front brake won't bleed 1989 sportster
Last Post: Jowniofownio
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Alto Carbonite Clutch adjustment
Last Post: Mjolnir
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,047
Views: 607,871
0 TC88A maps for 1250 Sporty
Last Post: Mjolnir
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
0 ironhead with a sprotor
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,418
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 702
Views: 67,512
0 Cylinder Piston kits
Last Post: Dave L
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 3,110
0 '89 Sportster 1200 Chopper
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,204
0 1967 XLCH stroker project
Last Post: Keithybloodygeorge
Replies: 53
Views: 2,142
0 Steering stem dimensions?
Last Post: madlim
Views: 15
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1
Views: 2,582
7 Long Road Trip advice
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 137
0 Leaks
Replies: 2
Views: 84
9 77 bobber wiring HELP....
Replies: 1
Views: 121
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: sportytrace
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 834
Views: 72,533
5 Did you go back to an OEM plungers seat? Like it?
Last Post: stalkie
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 192
2 Humble pie
Last Post: Vohnsen
Replies: 15
Views: 497
0 Back in Sporty Land
Last Post: TurkeyRun
Replies: 8
Views: 215
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,127
Views: 416,271
0 HER 42 gas leaking from drain hose?
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 653
0 Feeling in trouble.
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 19
Views: 664
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: moparnut72
Replies: 2,292
Views: 160,624
0 Diagnostic help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 18
Views: 408
0 Have you ever had your drive belt (secondary drive) break
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 657
Views: 164,689
0 Value of a Boattail?
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Replies: 23
Views: 721
0 electric frank voltage regulator woes
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 9
Views: 261
0 spoke nipple tool?
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 13
Views: 1,810
0 Spring Seat Brackets?
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 3
Views: 173
0 Where do you ride in the lane?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 29
Views: 841
0 $1.9 million Harley Worlds Most Expensive
Last Post: SoonerSport
Views: 42
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Street Brawler
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Ranchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, so far I'm batting zero's... Everything is tight, no signs of movement. Since I have profile rims I swept them at a 45` angle and hit a max of .025". Checked the front and it was the same. Spokes were all consistently tight. Swing arm pivot bearings were tight, pivot shaft hasn't moved and bolts are intact. Wheel bearings feel good. Dog bones are all tight and show no movement in the rod ends. Minimal sag in the motor mounts. It all looks about the same as when I took it apart the other year.

The only thing I noticed is my rear tire is worn more in the center and has a definite 'ridge' where it rounds over. I wonder if that is why it feels funky. I found the pressure low after dropping it and bumped it up to 40 psi. Still plenty of tread so maybe I'll play with the tire pressure and see if it gets more comfortable leaning into a curve.

Heck, maybe this is all in my head since I didn't get much seat time over winter and part of that was sliding across the pavement.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Ranchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond reputeRanchero50 has a reputation beyond repute

So, put it back together and dropped the back air pressure from 40 to 35 psi cold. Totally different ride experience. Put 25 miles of back roads and it felt fun again. Felt like the front was sliding around and when I checked once I got home the pressure was 40 psi in the front. Lowered it to 35 and the manual specs 30 up front so I'll revisit it once cold. I remember when I added air last time I went by the sidewall settings.

Good times.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollly Rogers View Post
Drive belt may be too tight if you raised the rear ride height. Belt changes tension with swingarm travel.
That's right: with longer shocks, the belt is slacker at rest (little or no compression); if you adjust belt tension the same as with shorter shocks (you shouldn't: there are different specs) then the belt could get too tight under compression).

The belt is at its tightest when the axle, swing arm pivot, and tranny sprocket centre are in line.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c>1250cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 FLH Standard
hbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud of

In my opinion and experience I would say that the tire is the problem. Don`t know what tires you are running. The ridge you talk about, in my experience, will make things wonky. I hade the Dunlop 401 do that with me. How many miles on tires? I think once you get a wear pattern started then it will stay to the end. My opinion. Not a tire rep.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsporty View Post
In my opinion and experience I would say that the tire is the problem. Don`t know what tires you are running. The ridge you talk about, in my experience, will make things wonky. I hade the Dunlop 401 do that with me. How many miles on tires? I think once you get a wear pattern started then it will stay to the end. My opinion. Not a tire rep.
I'm running Perelli Night Dragons. Not sure how many miles but only one season if memory serves. Right before Christmas the bike threw me (low sided), rear kicked out at a traffic circle, and a week or so later after putting it back together it felt really discombobulated on a short trip to the dealers for something. Ended up only having 15 or so PSI of pressure in the rear so I pumped them up to the sidewalls recommendation and then we got stuck in a cold snap and it hasn't felt right since. I think having the pressure too high made the rear wear ridge noticeable and lowering the pressure allows the tire to conform to the road without feeling squishy.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c>1250cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 2002 FLH Standard
hbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud ofhbsporty has much to be proud of

That pressure thing is tricky for me. The manual says one thing, side walls say another. I am running Avon Cobra`s . Should I run what the manual says or the sidewall. Right now I am running 38 rear 33 front. If I run what the manual says 36-30 (I) have got some weird patterns in tread. Then they would feel weird when hitting the curves hard. Did not like the Dunlops at all. Once again I think your problem was the low press. Main thing keep the rubber on the road.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

The sidewall figure is the maximum, not the recommended pressure.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Yep, bike is happy with the manual recommended pressure. Glad I got to learn what it feels like both ways though.
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

I have Night Dragons, running 31psi front, 40psi rear. Excellent tyres, even before stage 1 tune I could get the back end to step out in the dry with the horrible Scorchers. I get 12K from Night Dragons as I ride like the 60 year old bird watching spinster I am! I know a younger 1200R rider who gets 5K from Night Dragons
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 700
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
Dave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud of

I will never run another Bridgestone Spitfire rear tire. Had it on my Vulcan from the factory. Funky shape like a mushroom. Ok if all you do is ride straight up!