The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Pushrod cover seals
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 3
0 Hardtail frame conversion with 3" stretch and avoiding a chain conversion kit
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 178
0 28 years later..
Last Post: USAFpj
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 1,042
0 2010 xl 1200 low solo seat fit
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 124
14 HD ad for Dirt?
Last Post: gusm2
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 141
0 Bearing questions
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 12
Views: 429
0 Turn signals and switch required 1972 xlch
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 4
Views: 133
0 Best way to 883->1200cc ?
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 12
Views: 398
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,918
Views: 288,978
0 Hi From NJ
Replies: 14
Views: 200
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,181
Views: 198,224
10 Show your bike next to a Cow
Last Post: mick42
Replies: 18
Views: 620
0 Hello from oklahoma
Last Post: Veeflys
Replies: 16
Views: 271
0 Triumph or Harley!
Replies: 10
Views: 437
0 New Member
Replies: 21
Views: 441
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 44,376
Views: 6,968,249
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 12,288
Views: 1,120,398
0 What engine oil do you use?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 466
Views: 92,419
0 Cold Start. Then stall
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 10
Views: 308
0 Greetings from Queens
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 14
Views: 174
0 From Illinois with my first sporty
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 1,037
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,137
Views: 780,210
0 Front end swap
Last Post: stalkie
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 564
0 once a cheater always a cheater?
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 38
Views: 4,078
0 Removing oil pump
Replies: 32
Views: 766
0 In tank pump and filter work
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 128
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: Cheater5
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,723
Views: 1,801,680
0 Converted 883, head questions
Last Post: depthsounder
Views: 177
0 Nut and Washer Size by Part Number?
Last Post: motogpfan82
Views: 65
0 Open relationships, swinging, threesomes, et al...
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 140
Views: 27,855
More...
Members Birthdays
oakies, Gunhappy2 (61), SamIam (55), biggdann (49), boyer911 (49), danii (42), PVD24 (40)
Tags
clunk, clutch, release, throttle

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the front drive belt pulley?
Old 1st October 2018
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Manda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to beholdManda is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopbilly1 View Post
i'm having the exact same problem. i've taken the primary cover off and looked over everything three times now. I can't seem to find what it may be, but its loud enough to where you would think you have a obvious problem.
...And you're riding 2003, which is exactly the same trans as mine... Anyway, I've decided to ignore and ride without worries. So far so good, and I've put about 10000 miles since I've started this thread.
Old 4th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I have been looking for a very loud rod knock for over 40,000 miles.

I'm sure it's not what it sounds like, because; I would be pulling shrapnel out of my ass by now if it was.

Everything on the bike either creates noise, or amplifies it. I think that's just part of the character of these things.

Glad to hear that you are out enjoying the bike instead of stressing over gremlins.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 16th October 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
HotRod917 has disabled reputation

My 13' Iron does it too 18k kms..call it "The Clutch release Clunk"...almost always at low speed manuvers..glad i finally found a thread that is determined to looks for solutions. Now let's do the elimination theory first.

1. It's not the oil issue making the plates stick/drag (tried the HD formula+, Motul 20w50 s-syn and mobil 1 as well)clunks when engine hot or cold.

2. Pretty sure it's not windup cos a sprocket that is snapping back the chain slack doesn't sound like a clunk..how do I know this, i have a 1972 royal enfield bullet 350 that needs it's primary cover pulled off to adjust the chain every time (note no compensator sprocket on this one, but separate primary and tranny as the big twins)and that can only be so loose before it starts skipping sprocket teeth and hitting the case surfaces inside and slapping itself on the tensioner pad (also the newer RE's have the auto chain tensioner and u can hear the chain slapping on the tensioner pad if u snap the trottle too quickly)..the sound would be more wooden than a clunk especially in a closed up primary with lube in it.

3. From the above..point is I have tested my sporty with the primary chain tight and loose but could not eliminate the clutch release clunk, this rules out the chain deflection issue.

4. If the sprocket nut is loose then there would be a side to side movement on the shaft and not a rotational movement on the axis(front to back)

5. Which brings me to my final point 'free play between the clutch basket housing and main shaft cos if there was free play at the stator sprocket and flywheel shaft then it would clunk every time we're on and off trottle even in neutral with a non moving bike.

And Yes I have ridden other sporty's too that don't do it..a friends 12' superlow and some demo bikes at the dealership including BT's. So guys let's get to the bottom of this..if someone has pulled the primary plz check for free play of the clutch basket..will do the same when i get a chance. Here to share, learn and make a better sporty in the process. Thanks guys
Old 16th October 2018
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's a problem. I've always thought it was slack in the primary being released and taken up, and I still do.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 26th October 2018
Biker

I never said it's a "this will break ur bike kinda thing" and it's certainly is not a problem per say.

And I'm all for "if it ain't broke......"
But i will also say "If this bothers you, try and improve it"

Isn't this why ppl put big bore kits to improve engine performance and go farther to chase horsepower numbers, work on suspension to make it more comfortable and trackable, improve breaking to stop better, shred weight to make it more hooligan

From all the research I have done, there are number of ppl that find this annoying..and when ur in tune with ur machine, these small harmless things are very irritating..so i request u guys to dig a little deeper so we can find a solution and not just shrug it off sayin, it's the nature of the beast. Thank you for ur time
Old 26th October 2018
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883 Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xl Hugger (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Nibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond reputeNibelungen has a reputation beyond repute

both my rides never did with oem clutch..
both did and does a little squeal when i run from a stop... after i swapped with a SE clutch...
i have read it's normal...
Old 29th October 2018
Biker

The slight squeal is cos of the harder material SE friction plates sliding on the steel plates before they fully engage.

The thing here is a Clunk' almost like a shift clunk (which I do love) but not as pronounced when doing a slow speed manuver and modulating the clutch..imagine almost duck walking ur motorcycle at a prade or slowly navigating through heavy traffic.

It's like the clicker on a pen getting stuck sometimes before fully disengaging..and although i can replicate it like the others here..I'm not intentionally riding my bike like that (cos we all like linear clutch progression and vehicle movement don't we) but everytime it happens it's really annoying and I'm like "Oh man here we go..F U sporty".

The other thing I can think of is the 1st gear on the mainshaft and the gear it engages on the counter shaft being straight cut gears (all others being helical 06-up)..could this be the cause of this clunk produced by the gear lash from alternating inertias? In addition to the sporty not having the compensator like the BT's to smooth out the power pulses. Cos the updated transmissions with the M8's have the a scissor gear on 1st to eliminate the rattle for smoother operation.

Like from my previous post..some sporty's have the 'clutch release clunk' and some dont..Was unable to replicate this on 2nd gear but will give it another try..also can someone technically inclined throw some light on the straight cut 1st gear scenario (specific to this issue)..as always much appreciated
Old 29th October 2018
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

It's just the slight slack in the primary chain being taken up and released. It's completely normal, and not anything to get worried or annoyed about.
Old 30th October 2018
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley506d View Post
Have you checked the front drive belt pulley?
This seems the most logical, if it's the "clunk" I'm thinking of. You'd have to remove the belt to see if the sprocket moves even slightly. The primary chain "clunk" I've experienced in "Sturgis Rally" traffic., ended up adjusting the primary chain and eliminated that. Another possibility; rear motor mount.