The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 349
Views: 17,718
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17,884
Views: 1,803,340
0 Mid West Meet & Greet
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 382
Views: 30,751
0 Drastic Failure how to diagnose
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 57
Views: 4,784
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,995
Views: 265,654
0 Government and financial services rip-off
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 390
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 5,165
Views: 309,153
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 16,278
Views: 926,061
0 Resto-Repair 84 ironhead
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 21
Views: 1,196
0 Digital odometer
Last Post: onadraw
Replies: 5
Views: 196
0 My 900: half-H, half-CH
Last Post: mrmom9r
Replies: 14
Views: 1,159
1 Sportster's they are just sexy
Last Post: 83ironman
Replies: 13
Views: 1,022
0 Shaking front end
Last Post: koolbreeze
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 291
0 Speedometer hookup - 76 XLH
Last Post: Mission1
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 8,958
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,836
Views: 7,458,574
0 15 sporty braided rear brake line
Last Post: 201648Rider
Replies: 2
Views: 147
0 Is it true? (eliminate clutch spring plate)
Last Post: jazzman
Replies: 60
Views: 26,175
0 Smaller turn signals
Last Post: lehel
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 242
0 86-90 regulator-rectifier on 2003 engine?
Last Post: lehel
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 440
0 xied or x14ied?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 76
0 Intake seals, glad I checked them
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 82
0 simple HF jack-lift for sporty mod.
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 307
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 6,738
Views: 929,879
0 Spark Plugs
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 85
Views: 52,378
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 34
Views: 4,230
0 Xlch spark plugs
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 6
Views: 187
0 Diagnostic code ?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 31
Views: 997
0 I hope this is not the "New Normal"
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 121
0 Help with jacking up my sportster
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 26
Views: 2,806
0 Solenoid issue?
Last Post: Gulf Coaster
Replies: 18
Views: 913
More...
Members Birthdays
mcevoy, Dnight (54), alvin01101 (54), rahean (52), 2005883c (46), cliff883 (45), HotRodSporty (44), Wes Marshall (41), liquidice148 (34)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton Commando
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
MotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enough
Default Tank Paint Ideas

Picked up a cheap old tank for a little paint project and have a few questions.

Going for BW paint scheme:

I have a question regarding the decal and hopefully, someone here might be able to shed some light. I am wondering if these decals were originally buried under the clearcoat, decals are vinyl.

As I said, this is just a fun project for me, not a pro painter. Shooting with rattle cans.

Thanks.
Old 17th February 2020
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead EL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1948
Doc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really niceDoc308 is just really nice

If you are referring to the decal in the picture, the ones you can buy are installed by soaking them in water and sliding them onto the tank surface. If you are using that type of decal it should be clear-coated for durability sake. However, it's a tricky procedure to clear coat over that type of decal. One needs to fog on very very light coats until the edges are even with the tank surface. Wet sanding needs to be done very carefully as well. I had '59 CH with the same decal and I had a pro paint over the decal. He ruined one of them in the process by spraying too heavy a coat over it. It damaged the decal. As such, I have an extra one kicking around if you need it because I had to buy another pair.

I am not certain but I believe that the original decals were clear-coated over.
Old 17th February 2020
Biker

MotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enoughMotorPete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc308 View Post
If you are referring to the decal in the picture, the ones you can buy are installed by soaking them in water and sliding them onto the tank surface. If you are using that type of decal it should be clear-coated for durability sake. However, it's a tricky procedure to clear coat over that type of decal. One needs to fog on very very light coats until the edges are even with the tank surface. Wet sanding needs to be done very carefully as well. I had '59 CH with the same decal and I had a pro paint over the decal. He ruined one of them in the process by spraying too heavy a coat over it. It damaged the decal. As such, I have an extra one kicking around if you need it because I had to buy another pair.

I am not certain but I believe that the original decals were clear-coated over.
Thanks Doc, I have two sets of vinyl decals. Not as finicky as waterslides I would imagine but will take some coating to fully bury, which is why I ask.

Having never done this before ALL input is greatly appreciated.
Old 17th February 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
a-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud ofa-sad-anorak has much to be proud of

Check out 'East Coast Vinyl Werkz'. They do tank decals and give lots of useful info. I've used their decals and they say you can clear coat or leave as is. If they aren't coated then they can be removed in the future whilst coated decals will have to be sanded. Uncoated decals should have a life of 7 years. I've just bought their 11" x 4" tank side decals of the US flag for my black and chrome IH. I hope it will add just a hint of color.
Old 17th February 2020
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sporty XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sporty XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1960
Other Motorcycle Model: Duo-Glide 1964 FL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
Blowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud ofBlowupster has much to be proud of

I found the decal on Ebay. It works great.
The result is not 100% when I put coat over the tank but no probleme with the decal.

1.5 years old pictures.
Old 17th February 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS850GL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
jsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of lightjsandidge is a glorious beacon of light

Not all vinyl is created equal. I've coated over vinyl several times. If you're looking for completely flat where you can't feel the edge, the thicker vinyls will take a lot of clear.
Old 17th February 2020
Biker

Had a go with the birch white. Not nearly enough in one can to hide the primer, so Ill need another can. The color rite tip is trash, spits like crazy, paint is good though.

Figure Ill dust the clear on, apply the decal, dust the decal to lose the edges and then lay on the clear.

Need a new can of white for now.

thanks for the advice and photos.
Old 23rd February 2020
Biker

Here is the tank with a wet clear (yes I know the decal is reversed, I'm an idiot).
Decals buried nicely and considering the amount of body work I had to do and being my first time doing any of this I am pleased with the end result.
I masked a bit too high with the white, any tips on finishing the clear? A few blobs and particles bothering me.

I may attempt this again down the road.

Old 23rd February 2020
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

wet sand with 1500 wet or dry paper.compound then polish. don't sand through the clear.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.