The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: Chuckthebeatertruck
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 7,799
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,110
0 Rivets for Front Fender Braces - '71 xlch
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 3,251
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 379
Views: 98,359
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,502
Views: 550,951
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 42,208
Views: 6,541,146
6 Secret photo"s of folkies loft
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 1,472
Views: 210,002
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 17
Views: 186
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,398
Views: 1,471,021
0 timing sympstoms
Last Post: The Doctor71
Replies: 16
Views: 525
0 Guzzi V7
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 8
Views: 142
3 How long have you had your Iron Head?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 393
Views: 45,119
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 440
Views: 55,892
3 Making my own exhaust gaskets?
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 73
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: ReddTigger
Replies: 8
Views: 331
8 Tc88a
Last Post: Mjolnir
Replies: 14
Views: 260
0 Forum member mug shots
Last Post: RAIDER0372
Replies: 1,132
Views: 336,066
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 538
Views: 93,405
0 Helmet poll
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Replies: 822
Views: 149,182
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 803
Views: 50,690
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,864
Views: 280,009
0 Fork oil
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 76
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,151
Views: 752,187
0 XR1200 Torquehammer exhaust failure.. again.
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 965
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,759
Views: 191,276
0 Rolling Thunder Coming To An End
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 156
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,413
Views: 747,348
0 Ignition Module failure or Intake leak?
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 175
0 2011 exhaust on 2004?
Last Post: Bone
Replies: 5
Views: 148
0 Air Cleaner Bracket Mounting
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 11
Views: 375
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
gpcramins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Splitting cases..

I have an issue which requires me to tear my engine down and split the cases. The bike is a 2016 Roadster and has 35,000 miles on the odometer. Is there anything I should replace while I am in there? I'll be doing rings and a valve job since I will have it apart. Valve lifters? I am assuming the cams, transmission, etc. are probably good to go for many more miles...

If anyone here has done this, I'd love to hear your input....
Old 15th September 2018
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
lucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant futurelucifer_mr2 has a brilliant future

Not that they need the cases split, but cams and clutch should be done. Maybe a displacement and compression increase.
Old 15th September 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Do you suspect your “issue” has had an affect on the primary, charging system and transmission? Or might it be limited to the top end?
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif
Old 15th September 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Bored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond repute

So what requires attention? crank or transmission, apart from the cranks in the 04 and 05 bikes the bottom end of the rubber mounts have proved to be almost bullet proof, unless you have used a mls gasket and pulled a cylinder stud? I have a 2013 on the bench this week and will be splitting the cases to install the Buell XB/XR1200 crank, have done it several times, nice and straight forward job, use the drain plug to get the oil out before you split the cases, saves a lot of mess.
Old 16th September 2018
Biker

The stator threads for top screw are knackered and I buggered up a thread repair. Bike has 35,000 miles. This is my fourth stator, first three replaced under warranty. I went aftermarket this time, and will be using non-torx screws.

The first stator died at 16,000 miles. Second at approximately 28,000 miles. This one died at 35,000 miles. Harley tested the charging system and stated everything else was fine.

The stators all fail in the same location, either one or both poles nearest the leads. I knew what it was the moment I saw the battery light. The smell of the fluid in my primary when I dumped it confirmed the problem.

I will be replacing the regulator with a MOSFET type, the battery, and going through all the wiring and connectors. I had a low side a couple of months ago and since I am doing some other work, I figured I would get it all done now.

I also had a wheel bearing failure at 34,000 miles, a clutch failure at 24,000 miles, and a crossover pipe crack discovered when the first stator failed all covered under warranty.

I hope Harley is sending a disclaimer to their international customers before they drink the Kool Aid. When they covered my rear wheel bearing failure, I noted the country of origin for the replacement wheel was China. While I believe the Chinese make excellent equipment, I think the "wanna be hard" types might have a heart attack were they aware of this..
Old 16th September 2018
Biker

Interestingly enough, when the cross over pipe failed, the older guy at the service desk informed me that "Sportsters were not meant to be ridden for long periods of time on the freeway", I wish they would have told me that when I bought the bike. Worked for a mechanic in my teens who toured the country on CB500 back in the seventies...

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

For the record, I really do like the bike, it would just be nice if Harley focused on building bikes rather than selling T-shirts and bumper stickers... Maybe I am just getting old...
Old 16th September 2018
Subscribing Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcramins View Post
Interestingly enough, when the cross over pipe failed, the older guy at the service desk informed me that "Sportsters were not meant to be ridden for long periods of time on the freeway", I wish they would have told me that when I bought the bike. Worked for a mechanic in my teens who toured the country on CB500 back in the seventies...

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

For the record, I really do like the bike, it would just be nice if Harley focused on building bikes rather than selling T-shirts and bumper stickers... Maybe I am just getting old...
Back in the 70's, a lot of motorcycle Owner's manuals had a section on Safe Operation and it would say "on extended riding, to stop after an hour or so and let the motor cool for 20min. to a half hour before continuing on. This caution is no longer in the newer manuals. It may apply to Ironheads but I don't think it applies to Evo Sportsters. Still, on a long road trip and temps above 80F, I always stop after an hour or so to let mine cool (in shade if possible) it also keeps me from getting too exhausted.
Old 16th September 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Bored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond reputeBored now has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, HD have definitely let you down with those stator failures, there is clearly something else wrong to have repeated stators fail, I would contact HD direct and ask for their assistance, that is not right. I would also be telling HD about the knob who said "Sportsters were not meant to be ridden for long periods of time on the freeway" what a moron, you will come across members here who have ridden their Sportsters over a couple of hundred thousand miles. Contact HD, they can only say no.
Old 17th September 2018
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you got unlucky, I have 36.3K on my 883R & all's well. Had a rear wheel bearing go at 26K. Had the upper belt guard break at the shock mount around 17K. I ride all year & had 2 warning display panels & 3 rear brake switches. British winters destroy electrical components, spoke to BMW, Triumph, Honda & Ducati owners with similar electrical grief
Sponsored Links
Old 21st September 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

well, that stator failure goes wayyyyy back. my 01 failed the same and about 15k miles also. it is not the stator that fails but the connection from the winding to the pigtail to the regulator. the issue is hd just glues the connection to the stator, glue breaks down and oil enters the connection and small currents will pass to ground and eventually the electrolysis destroys the connection.