The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Tires for "Rubber mount XL" poll.
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 238
Views: 62,535
0 New shocks on and old frame?
Last Post: Ted Town
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 2
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,993
Views: 405,404
0 HOW BIG? Mikuni on a 1250 kit?
Last Post: aswracing
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 647
0 1972 Build thread please subscribe
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 32 Minutes Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 4,011
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 47,749
Views: 7,649,145
0 Current projects (2 of them anyway)
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 175
0 Highway cruise speed
Last Post: lespaul6
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 978
0 Adjusting Drive Belt While On A Lift
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 101
0 N65C or N65A
Last Post: lespaul6
Replies: 17
Views: 1,132
0 Tappet blocks and tappets
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 24
Views: 794
0 Real Horse Power Difference in Head Treatments
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 35
Views: 574
0 Turbo Iron 883
Last Post: Ghostdog
Replies: 41
Views: 1,922
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 58
Views: 2,657
12 Crankcase breathing?
Last Post: DJCBlue
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 81
0 Hammer 1250 kit with fp3
Last Post: Pagey
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 720
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,519
Views: 1,014,536
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 5,569
Views: 324,084
0 Sportster Fork Upgrade
Last Post: Redbeard2
Replies: 67
Views: 15,853
0 Dual Speedo/Tach Gauge Mount Failure
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 219
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,074
Views: 2,045,790
0 Do you use a bike cover?
Last Post: Old Rocker
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 6,825
0 Rear sets?
Last Post: bordens
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 11,718
0 Hardtail 01 883C conversation.
Last Post: Vic8028
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 1,150
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,980
Views: 991,251
0 Ground Up Beginner Build
Last Post: Paul.W
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 206
0 My Rear Master Cylinder Re-build
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 131
Views: 70,063
0 Screamin Eagle slip-ons too loud
Last Post: Blackmagellan
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 10,331
0 Clutch springs
Last Post: BigMek
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 156
More...
Members Birthdays
PEISprotster (68), 2009XR (66), Briank (61), bbj6635 (59), Reddog225 (48), larre1973, Irondrake77 (41), picowatt (40), Jeffrey99 (39), namesnick (39)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I am looking for the best way to go about securing the magnets to the clutch shell to keep them from sliding together?
Here you go.
http://www.sportsterpedia.com/doku.p...ef:priclutch01

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.
Old 5th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R65
Other Motorcycle Year: 84
keithnh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 86-90 Suspension upgrades

Just wondering what the crux of the biscuit is on shocks. Was reading heavier riders prefer progressive shocks on rear and the Zicor Intiminators are a great improvement in stabilization/handling of the front end at speed. I have 2 different sets of single rotor forks and was wanting to upgrade to dual. The better shape set is 86-87, and the other is an 88-up set. My chassis guy got new progressive spring innards for the 86-87 set and steering head bearings. Not assembled yet. I think front tire braking would be straighter and more effective with 2 rotors. Have them on my beamer R65 with 39hp .. seems kind of scary to double plus(possibly) the ponies and cut steer braking in half Have found a set of 2 rotor forks but havent pulled trigger yet they may be 35mm, I wont do less than 39mm. Maybe I can find the single fork 39mm slider I need for dual rotor that matches my 86-87 "Showa" single rotor set. I'm looking if anyone has one for sale !!! Are there new ones? May be improved? Maybe just buy a new slider set?

Was delivering gas to a station last night where a guy was having trouble with his bike and walked over and started talking, he had shocks on rear similar(identical looking to ones Im considering) I have scoped on Ebay and .. he had colors on that said "Hells Angels" .. he was calling on phone and another Hells Angel showed up got him fixed and he scooted. This was in Gilford NH, Laconia bike weekend is nearing. The Angel's bike was a newer big twin and had factory devices in the fork tubes that looked like Zicors and the exact shocks "Iron 48 Progressive Adjustable I think?" which he said came factory on the bike. He knows bike machinists locally and we spoke about my project. He seemed interested in my plans and was actually pleasant to talk to. Told me to make sure my 2-piece pinion shaft wheel was welded. Said he really noticed difference with factory "Zicors" and progressive shocks. Who says all bikers are bad ... TV mainly Just like one side of political aisle all bad and other good ... boo-hoo Hilly didnt win in 2016, lets throw a tantrum with her, act like children for 4 yrs, paint the other side bad and us good so we can hoodwink stupid voters into putting a schill zombie in the white house we can control, geez maybe Hilly can be his vice-zombie ... So he finger-banged Tara a few years back, and his son made millions from Rooskie related stuff while he was unjustly criticizing our current Prez. He didnt sniff and son only spent the money on good things like wine women and song OK enough rant ... sorry.

Was looking at the Ebay shocks as a trial balloon that might be serviceable. They have some road rash, but not enough to bother me, I could polish it out ... but are from a 2016 XL 1200. I have 2 sets of 80-something shocks and a lowering bracket(kit). Wondering what the difference would be .. is it just eye to eye distance when shock is at rest and spring tension that causes bike to position when rider applies weight(sag)? Is there an adaptor kit to put newer shocks on frame mount Evo's?

Was also wondering where to get 39mm Zicor Intiminators. As am not finding them available anymore where Im looking.
Old 5th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think the RICOR Intimidators were being made anymore.

Here's "The 7 Pages of Suspension (parts 1 and 2)"
It was written by XLXR for rubbermounts but has a lot of theory in it.
http://www.sportsterpedia.com/doku.p...k:ref:susp07?s[]=ricor
Old 5th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Wow, lots of good info on those 2 pages. Have figured out the used shocks I saw on Ebay are emulsion factory shocks from 2016 48 XL 1200. Could be various length but Progressive says the original length was 11.0 inches. My 87 frame had 12.5" originals. Probably best for me to go with new Progressive 412 and order them after bike is running and I get a feel for its handling. New fork springs are already Progressive's.

Called John at Ricor and the 39mm Intiminators are available and on sale. Company was down and he bought it and they are back on line. Completely 100% USA made. Will do those for my 1st fork mod once I get my chassis guy the fork slider he needs or new forks to do dual rotor. Ricor offers custom made lifetime shocks (free rebuilds or any problem solved) that are on sale too, kinda steep for me right now but same price as HD factory emulsion shocks.

Really need an 86-87 I think 45901-84A 39mm Showa fork slider for dual rotor, I believe its the left one that is the additional rotor side. Will polish them both so they look like mated set if I can find one.

Last edited by keithnh; 5th May 2020 at 17:07.. Reason: Ricor not Zicor
Old 5th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Great!
I see that Ricor is apparently back in business. Haven't checked in a while.
https://www.ricorshocks.com/

That is the ones you are talking about right?
I can't find anything on Zicor.
If you have specific questions on them, XLXR did a lot of testing with them.
Send him a message and he's the guy on them.
Old 5th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Wooops yes Ricor sorry.
Old 5th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I see the Progressive 412 series shocks appear to be the go-to shock to get progressive spring adjustability at a reasonable cost, half of an HD emulsion replacement shock, with better performance and longevity. Not sure where they are made but I bet both in China ... if they are I'm starting my own little rebellion and will just wait and save for the Ricor's 100% USA made units, I like the lifetime guarantee that comes with them as well as the custom fit not to mention the country their manufacturing supports.
Old 5th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithnh View Post
Wow, lots of good info on those 2 pages. Have figured out the used shocks I saw on Ebay are emulsion factory shocks from 2016 48 XL 1200. Could be various length but Progressive says the original length was 11.0 inches. My 87 frame had 12.5" originals.
For 1987, the stock shock was 54568-82 - and 12.5" length (according to most replacement charts)
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:evo:susp02

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 7th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Not sure what happens when you put an 11.0 in its place. Decided I will see if I get the 2016 shocks Im bidding on, if I dont I will start with my basket early non-progressives and ride abit to see what I want to change and probably go with usa-made targeted for my needs new Progressive 412. May be going with V-twins 41mm dual disk narrow glide conversion kit on the front, not sure what that will do for sag and pitch. My chassis guy put 11.0s on his girl's 95, sits lower, I will try sitting on it today.

Hippy I will send you a booze or steak goody if you get the dimension for that hole per this thread post 384. The oil pump mod is going through by hook or crook and I am going to put double spring in filter mount and drill that #2 cam oiler mod to the oil galley in case.
Old 7th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I just had a huge tree branch fall across my car.
Just let go after ... 20 years.
Give me a couple days and I'll get the dimension.