The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 Every last drop of HP from a 1200ci.
Last Post: b0fh
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 184
0 Helping a friend...
Last Post: Sportycus
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 100
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 9,136
Views: 750,527
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 42,195
Views: 6,539,870
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 797
Views: 49,857
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 835
Views: 77,366
0 Ignition Module failure or Intake leak?
Last Post: GT Cyclery
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 71
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 123
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Eric Von Zipper
Replies: 328
Views: 59,113
0 Rivets for Front Fender Braces - '71 xlch
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 9
Views: 3,126
0 Reflectors...Yeah, or Neh
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 166
Views: 38,144
0 Greetings from Riedcoast
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 121
0 Hello From Los Angeles
Last Post: jharback
Replies: 11
Views: 344
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ncxl
Replies: 3,895
Views: 722,367
0 Air Cleaner Bracket Mounting
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 219
0 No working taillight, but bike still runs? Schematic included.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 232
0 New Member, New Build with pics, and some questions
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,241
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,120
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 137
Views: 9,529
8 Crankshaft Failure
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 107
Views: 44,011
0 Intermittent silence when hitting starter?
Last Post: TeeCat
Replies: 83
Views: 3,685
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 438
Views: 55,816
0 Oil Pump Upgrade '86-'90
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 1,964
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 693
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,498
Views: 550,347
0 timing sympstoms
Last Post: rickthrash99
Replies: 11
Views: 335
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: bimbo
Replies: 2,860
Views: 278,586
0 Installing New Tappet Rollers
Last Post: Peteroo
Replies: 3
Views: 253
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 4
Views: 168
0 Harley k model question
Last Post: Tator
Replies: 0
Views: 64
More...
Members Birthdays
View Poll Results: Have you ever been pulled over? (on your motorcycle)
Yes 496 54.45%
No 415 45.55%
Voters: 911. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

First time I got pulled over was in 1980. I only had a permit and wasn't with a licensed driver. Cops had my Triumph hardtail chopper towed. I walked home and hit the local tavern.

Now I knew that the towing company had an impound yard in the same town I lived in. In fact it was less than a mile from where I was currently drinking. Long after dark and with a significant amount of spirits to clarify my thinking, I decided to get it back.

I got to the fence line and spent some time shaking the fence and throwing rocks inside, checking for guard dogs. Then I used a pilfered pair of vice grips to cut through the chain link fence.

I found my bike and hauled it through the cut fence. Once outside I fired her up and attempted to ride it up a small hill and across four railroad tracks. I think I got about half way before I fell over and dented the tank on the rails.

Picking it up, I managed to get it the rest of the way across the tracks and down the hill to the street. How I managed this without attracting and attention I'll never know. It was a residential street with plenty of houses.

I rode it to my brothers house in another town and stayed there a few days. Got a call from my roommate, the cops had shown up and told him I better go pay the impound guy for the fence repair or else! I took that advice.

You could get away with more crap in those days. Today I'm sure I'd be in jail! Whatever you do, Don't Try This At Home!
Old 10th October 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1250X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Davo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant future

Bored country cop sitting is his car just on the other side of a crest with his speed gun hanging out of his window. I hit the brakes hard, he pulls his speed gun inside the car. I watch to see if he is going to signal me to pull over but he just looks away... So i keep going, get around the corner and continue at my brisk pace. About 5 minutes later I hear sirens, look at my mirrors and see this dude coming up on me like a bat out of hell. I pull over, he's not happy, says I must of been going fast because it took him a while to catch up, I stare blankly at him.. he hands me a ticket, 23k's over, thats worth $435 here in Qld Australia. Lucky I hit the brakes hard when I seen him
Old 10th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
Other Motorcycle Model: 72 Triumph Daytona
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

I think they purposely let you get way ahead of them so they can play Smokey and The Bandit catching up to you. Let's see what this here Interceptor motor can do!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10th October 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1250X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Davo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant futureDavo_137 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinCactus View Post
I think they purposely let you get way ahead of them so they can play Smokey and The Bandit catching up to you. Let's see what this here Interceptor motor can do!!!
No doubt but probably playing madmax
Old 10th October 2018
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond reputeed_in_az has a reputation beyond repute

Got stopped once 15 years ago doing 60 in a 35 zone in town ... by a motorcycle cop!

I had no where to run, especially riding a 500cc bike against whatever the cop had.

I've run and hid a number of times in the past. I can work if done properly.
Old 10th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
harley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond reputeharley506d has a reputation beyond repute

I remember back in 1974 while living near Brighton, i was giving my brand new, carefully run in, Triumph 750 Bonneville it's first ever proper blast and i got pulled by a motorcycle cop on his old ratty Triumph Saint. He asked loads of questions about it and i offered him a ride if he fancied it.
He declined and then gave me a ticket!
A while later after moving back up home near Manchester, i was pulled again but he let me off as my licence showed i was not from the area and so i could not possibly know the roads.
Win some, lose some.
Old 10th October 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883/1200 conversion
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: 2nd 01 XLC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Graywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond reputeGraywolf has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10th October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_az View Post
Got stopped once 15 years ago doing 60 in a 35 zone in town ... by a motorcycle cop!

I had no where to run, especially riding a 500cc bike against whatever the cop had.

I've run and hid a number of times in the past. I can work if done properly.
A close friend, a new 1972 XLH, less than 1500 miles, decides to run for it one night. Didn't end well. scratched up a beautiful blue and white paint job. Lost license for a year. He didn't get hurt but some how bent shifting fork, kept popping out fourth.