The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Howdy from Baytown, TX
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 10
0 Building a dragbike 101
Last Post: the cowboy way
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 247
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 137
Views: 28,519
0 Mixture screw has no effect. Need help!
Last Post: Big Al
Replies: 16
Views: 424
0 Have I got my cam gears lined up right?
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 11
Views: 220
0 IronHead Wire Diagrams Etc
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 48
Views: 34,797
0 modifying to metal oil tank.
Last Post: Grumpy-Biker
Replies: 9
Views: 382
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 687
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,493
Views: 636,039
0 Seat Poll - Bad Ass or Fat Ass
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 11,806
0 Memphis Shades Rio Grande & Trigger Lock
Last Post: jswhite
Replies: 5
Views: 124
14 How To: View HD Part #'s 1991-2010 - All Models - With Part #'s and Exploded Views!!
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 84
Views: 59,505
6 Is Your SPORTSTER...
Last Post: Sportycus
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 1,366
5 Your stomping grounds
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 238
Views: 27,794
0 To lay it down or not?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 166
Views: 18,697
0 FLH saddlebags on Easy Brackets
Last Post: Hippysmack
Views: 55
0 How many amps does a 2003 XB charging system create?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 106
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 6
Views: 157
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 17
Views: 571
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 9,322
Views: 1,443,150
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: rubine
Replies: 7,556
Views: 1,415,990
0 Those little ways to personalize your bike...
Last Post: Jollly Rogers
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 183
0 New Tires>Fallaway>Deale r>?
Last Post: ed_in_az
Replies: 33
Views: 2,032
0 When Were You Born?
Last Post: MacSporty02
Replies: 319
Views: 75,184
0 Cracked exhaust bracket short shots
Last Post: newroadster
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 78
0 Early/Late 73 case date code
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 13
Views: 576
0 seat bolt
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 8
Views: 317
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 120
Views: 7,286
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 1,688
Views: 178,865
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: rubine
Replies: 2,788
Views: 257,305
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
IronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura about

This is really good and will be very helpful, your pictures are great. There always seems to be someone with transmission questions and this should be a great tool. Thank You
Old 20th November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1965
scottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrenchowl View Post
Hi scottericsonon,

Thanks for the photo sequence...

I would just add, when you check your dogs clearances, it's not just good enough if they are within tolerances, .028 to .058, they have to be equalized as well.

So all the spacings should be more or less the same. Don't ride with some at .028 and others at .058

"Equality" is achieved in a variety of ways depending where are your lows and highs: Wider or thinner selector forks (they use to sell them with +.020 and -.020), inserting or deleting the special washers between whole shifter assembly and trap door.

Patrick
patrick.yes i knew that....i also have them set at the low side of the specs for more dog engagement.........

asi said i'm just winging this and i KNOW theres stuff i did but missed it in my captions
Old 20th November 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to behold

Excellent post! I'll be pulling my '78's tranny this winter to fix an intermittent 2nd gear slippage so this tutorial is very timely. Thanks for the hard work.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 20th November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

scottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enoughscottericsonon will become famous soon enough

eric...does it "pop out" under load? and then go back in when you get off of the throttle???

mine was doing the smae thing except in 4th.....

check the gear dogs for wear....maybe a bent shift fork too
Old 20th November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

oh yeah to answer questions about the radio on my desk..........

its a kenwood TS-940Sat ham radio......
i hold an amateur radio license with the call sign of W3ODD
Old 21st November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

well here we are with the last installment of the trans already......

getting the shifter on (i need to pull the peg out of my old one)

get your drive chain around the sprocket loose....yeah ou can wait and install the cover first but y make more work for yourself??

get the cover on swearing at yourself for getting fingerprints all over it

get the bolts in and try to clean up the cover a little bit

kickstarter spring... just muscle it on....i grabbed the outer end with a pair of vice.grips and the really helped alot...you want that spring under a little tension

get the kickstarter on with the pinch bolt

get the chain around your rear sprocket and hook your master link with the CLOSED ROUNDED end of the master IN THE DIRECTION OF TRAVEL.....

that means if you hooked it on the bottom side of the sprocket the CLOSED END should be towards the REAR of the motorcycle!! got it??

adjust your chain etc.....i shouldnt have to tell you how to do this...look in your manual

grab your coffee and go back over to the left side of the motorcycle

get your 2 threaded 1/4 rods that you used in your clutch compressor and put them in the cases like this

slip your new gasket over them like this

oh before i forget ..........get your clutch cable threaded back into your primary cover and hook it up

slip your primary cover over your 2 threaded rods making sure you leave a tiny gap.....in other words dont seat it all the way

get all your screws started using the gap to see that they go thru the gasket correctly..... once they are all started go ahead and GENTLY tap on the primary cover with the heel of your hand to seat it.....once it's seated snug up a couple screws and then replace the threaded rod with the proper screws.....

tighten these all up using a criss-cross kinda pattern so as to not warp the primary cover

adjust your clutch per the FSM fill her up with oil put your footpegs and pipes back on and go bang some gears! youre done!!

actually i'd take it pretty easy on the trans for your first couple rides and make sure i went back and retightened a handfull of bolts after a few hot/cold cycles of the motor

i hope you found this thread both entertaining and informative........

i know i sure had a blast doing it as well as learning alot

maybe it will inspire some of you to write a little something about your own project

now get out there and enjoy your ironhead whether you're going out for a ride...turning some wrenches.....planning some future mods or just daydreaming about past rides!!
Old 21st November 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

i put new main and countershaft bearings in my trapdoor so i could reuse it so i know everything will line up with my case.....

Did you measure the case race ? Or just go with new stock size rollers ?

And did I read somewhere that it's a good idea to hone the case race if you install a new m/s trap door bearing or is it only if you remove/replace the case race that it needs to be honed ?
Old 21st November 2009
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 71 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 74 xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
Other Motorcycle Model: BT rigid hand shift
fergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of lightfergerburger is a glorious beacon of light

I've only pulled apart 3 trannies but everyone of them had a clearance problem between low and 3rd on the countershaft. The bushing in the low gear wears and it becomes impossible to shim it out...plus, as you shim it you push it out towards the case which causes another clearance problem.

I know trap doors have to be fit to cases if they are not already matched. An they say you have to hone the race when instaliing a new trans but I am unsure why or how. Maybe someone could educate some of us on this....???
Sponsored Links
Old 21st November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
i put new main and countershaft bearings in my trapdoor so i could reuse it so i know everything will line up with my case.....

Did you measure the case race ? Or just go with new stock size rollers ?

And did I read somewhere that it's a good idea to hone the case race if you install a new m/s trap door bearing or is it only if you remove/replace the case race that it needs to be honed ?
we measured my old rollers and found them to be just a HAIR under standard size .....so to accommodate for wear i figured they were stock so i just got a set of standard size ones..

according to my indy you SHOULD hone the cases IF you replace the trapdoor......if you reuse your door it should be good to go.....thats why i swapped everything onto my door.........

they DO make a 500 dollar tool that your'e SUPPOSED to hone your case with if you use a new trap.i think that's where the O/S rollers cme into play

ferger.....buy new C/S low gear washers.... as well as the washer that sits between low and the bearing in the case

they make different thickness ones....

get your low gear spacing right with those washers and then when you install trans use the variable C/S washer to get your endplay in line
Old 22nd November 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUCCESS!!!

got everything wrapped up and was able to get the bike out for a bit today

thing shifts like a dream with that new trans..... low effort and a nice solid "SNICK" into each gear......

the shifter "throw" feels a bit far but it might just be that my right ankle isn't used to shifting anymore(i had got rid of the funky 1975 "crossover" and went back to right side shift while i had it apart)........i'll pick it back up fairly rapidly.........i only tried to shift with the brake 2 or 3 times in the 60 or so miles i rode today

got the clutch spot on the first shot so im pretty pleased with that...no leaks or anything......

still need to get a rear brake light switch going (i rarely use the rear brake so that's not REAL important but it's not something i want to put off for very long either)

i already figured out how i'm gonna do it but i need to get to the hardware store for a stainless Ubolt

next project will be flush and fill/bleed on the front brake as well as installing my new ceramic pads..........

scott