The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 ‘68 XLCH...transmission
Last Post: barefoot
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 85
Views: 3,616
0 Hydraulic conversion for wet clutch
Last Post: yoshi
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 323
0 Re 1986 ignition
Last Post: Flam
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 2
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Diogenes415
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 96
Views: 21,770
0 DK's Definitive Ride Report - Some of the Best Scenic Roads Out West - Tons of Photo'
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 39 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 1,748
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,674
Views: 306,581
0 Front brake won't bleed 1989 sportster
Last Post: JacksBrother
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 296
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: brianbbs67
Replies: 156
Views: 30,517
0 Timing issue
Replies: 11
Views: 390
0 Need a source for Ironhead shocks
Replies: 12
Views: 563
0 It's a Buyinhead
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 215
0 Push Rod Adjustment
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 153
0 HAMMER PERFORMANCE Tech Tip Videos
Last Post: jammantoo
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 2,199
0 Laconia Motorcycle Rally 2018
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 27
Views: 1,054
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: wongjohnson
Replies: 5,136
Views: 542,944
0 Galled front piston
Replies: 19
Views: 705
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Replies: 155
Views: 29,398
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Replies: 642
Views: 133,597
0 Sportster security help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 3
Views: 108
0 attn DR DICK
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 798
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 98
Views: 5,487
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 10,144
Views: 634,414
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 6,514
Views: 462,535
0 what tool do you use for this starter bendix screw
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 145
5 1979 Sportster XLS Problems
Replies: 6
Views: 230
0 Putting a 4.5 tank on my Roadster, but I still want it to look like a Roadster.
Last Post: gravydog
Replies: 88
Views: 4,681
0 Timing after dynatek 2000i install
Last Post: jordan1200
Replies: 7
Views: 121
0 Steering Damper Installed (Pics and Review)
Last Post: frankv2
Replies: 57
Views: 37,867
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: lugster
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,423
Views: 1,324,392
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,428
Views: 139,442
More...
Members Birthdays
dtremaine (71), Dana (69), Shorty0064 (54), Mini Sumo (50), bikenest (50), ecjq (47), broncobilly (44), XL883L (41), Captain Awesomepants (39), calfunk (37)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R again!
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Doc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud of
Default new Nightster

I was originally looking at getting a new XR1200, well something happened and I saw a vivid black Nightster and it just called to me. Only have a little over 100 miles (had it 5 days), put on the V&H Short Shots (black of course) today. Also did the black axle bolt covers. I'm going to go with the Heavy Breather intake (again in black) and race tune when I hit the 1k mile mark.

I also had the dealer swap the seat (the original felt like I was sitting on the backbone of the frame) for one off a 1200 Custom. No intention of carrying anybody else but I do "bungee" a packback now & then and didn't want to screw up the rear fender so it'll rest on the passenger pillion now.

I guess I need more posts before I can put up a pic but let me say I am crazy about this little bike. Been riding for 40 years and it brings me back to what riding was all about way back when. The days of long distance riding are over, nothing more than a couple 100 mile days every now & then, mostly just scootin' around town and the foothills outside of Denver.
Old 13th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum from Buffalo, NY

Same thing for me with my Vivid Black 1200N...as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it! Congrats on the bike.

You only need 5 posts to start posting pictures. So hurry up and get some pictures up!!

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 13th June 2009

Doc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud ofDoc45 has much to be proud of

Thanks. Hmm I tried to resize it in photobucket and post the url to my gallery, got the message it was uploaded but can't see anything.

Damn computers, yeah that's it-it's the computer's fault! Well, it looks like every other vivid black Nightster w/Short Shots, 2 up seat & bolt covers.
Old 13th June 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Nightster Man will become famous soon enoughNightster Man will become famous soon enoughNightster Man will become famous soon enoughNightster Man will become famous soon enoughNightster Man will become famous soon enoughNightster Man will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the new bike. Love my Nightster. Put about 150 miles on her today, and have the sun burned arms to prove it.

Sportsters Rock!
Old 14th June 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883L Wife's Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
AZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura aboutAZ Nightster has a spectacular aura about

Welcome aboard the best place for Sportster information!
Forward Controls, SE slip Ons, SE Air Cleaner, REMap, Buckshot Mirrors, Mustang Vintage Wide Solo, Smoked Turn Signals, H-D Mini Apes, Diamond-Black Throttle/Idle Cable, Diamond-Black Clutch Cable, Diamond-Black Brake Line, Diamond-Black Grips, Diamond-Black Shifter Peg, Diamond-Black Footpegs, Diamond-Black Fuel Cap, Black Denim (Nite Lite) Battery and Oil Cover, X14iED's, SuperBrace, 2" Tank Lift, Coil and Ingnition Relocation
Old 14th June 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
merc16 will become famous soon enoughmerc16 will become famous soon enoughmerc16 will become famous soon enoughmerc16 will become famous soon enoughmerc16 will become famous soon enoughmerc16 will become famous soon enoughmerc16 will become famous soon enough

Welcome from Alabama!
Old 14th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

Went to School in Boulder. Great place for a bike. Surprised you have not been to Rocky Mountain National park yet. Hit the turns and have some fun. A trip to Eldora might be good fun.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 14th June 2009

Oh trust me, been through RMNP many times. My older son bought a bike when he came home from his first tour in Iraq in 2007, got a brand new Triumph Street Triple March of '08. The second "long" ride we did was the Peak to Peak Highway to Estes, then into the park. He's getting ready to head out again so I'll have a second bike to care for over the next year.

So at first tank I avereaged 51 mpg, be curious to see what I'm getting with the Short Shots, still taking it easy on the throttle. Just got home after riding around all day, total of 176 miles on it so far.

I will definitely need to do something about the rear shocks, probably go with something in the 12" range and better "cushioning ". The roads around Denver, for those of you that aren't familiar, are crappy. Happy with the front forks, but again will definitely need to do something with the rears.

Ride safe everybody, any suggestions on rear shocks greatly appreciated.
Old 15th June 2009

Here it is, enjoy.

Sponsored Links
Old 15th June 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: '08 1200N Nightster
KillJoy is on a distinguished roadKillJoy is on a distinguished roadKillJoy is on a distinguished road

Welcome! From one Noob to another! I picked up my Nighty the same way.... I saw the Silver / Black paint, and something just made me want it It was one of my better decisions in recent times

Have fun, and be safe!

KillJoy