The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Hey everybody!
Last Post: old dog
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 73
0 super b overflow
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 979
0 Tachos, heads, drives abd Cables
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 749
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 391
Views: 37,597
0 using oil
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 46
0 Replacing Oil Tank
Last Post: ofaloto.tupi
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 94
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 126
Views: 230,317
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 44,160
Views: 6,914,616
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,888
Views: 284,010
0 My wife wanted a Swimming Pool
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 285
0 What Petcock
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 27
Views: 2,574
0 Progress
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 21
Views: 617
0 For Sale: 2012 XR1200X
Last Post: sportymas
Replies: 18
Views: 721
0 Rebuild
Last Post: sportysrock
Replies: 7
Views: 116
0 Bleeding brake
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 93
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,024
Views: 1,668,797
0 head and cylinder painting
Last Post: RoadsterMike
Replies: 26
Views: 1,015
0 Bulbs
Last Post: BigMek
Replies: 2
Views: 161
0 Bike lost power,back fired and stalled
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 126
Views: 3,652
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 68
Views: 3,080
0 Efi and carbs
Last Post: Cmd11
Replies: 61
Views: 1,227
0 horizontal mill
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 4
Views: 188
0 Primary/gearbox chirp
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 680
0 Need to part with my '59
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 16
Views: 741
0 Foot peg stud not lining up with motor cut out
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 8
Views: 357
0 surges and/or hunting on 1200 EFI's
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 103
Views: 27,425
0 Converted 883, head questions
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 61
0 Kickstarter return spring
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 367
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 1,909
Views: 159,655
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 11,860
Views: 1,075,170
More...
Members Birthdays
toby61, Stairman (74), Greywolf (70), federico (67), Big D (66), robin82732 (55), jbd777 (49), Steve3888 (47), RIORoosen (45), NXC1978 (41), JeffsJeep04 (34), Matt.loup.t
Tags
high speed, leak, overflow, super b

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: fx
Other Motorcycle Year: 77
rickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz1000 View Post
maybe possible at highway speeds in 4th gear,,, 3000 to 3500 and above,,maybe getting some vibrations,,, not making the float to close,,,,or enricher bouncing,,, not fully seated or a tick partially open,,,even if u think,,,the enricher is closed,,,, sometimes theres a seating problem,,,,side air bleed maybe dirty,,,,,, can,t keep up with the flow,,at higher rpms with a velo stack,,, ive been running my super b forever,, never ran a velo stack,,i,,,know she don.t act right with out,,,, the cover she came with,,, and air cleaner,,, on a near stock sporty ,, dumps too much fuel,, or if ur drag racing,,it,s ok,,,,smell ur oil,,, change ur oil,,, nuff said,,,,
Happy to report back to this Thread with Results

picked up an S&S enrichener.
cleaned surfaces and installed
problem solved.
so much better riding it without gas dripping all over my mag in 4th gear. thanks cazz
Old 1 Day Ago
Greasemonkey

rickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the roughrickmodee is a jewel in the rough

I’m back again, stuck in the same pickle. I did replace enrichener and thought it was solved but I was mistaken. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 13 Hours Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Please clarify - You stated fuel is coming out of the overflow.

Are you talking about the hose fitting that points down (does a B have that?)
I seem to recall some thing written that running without a drain hose attached and directed to a place with quiet air can cause problems.

Or the bowl vent hole? The bowl vent hole is in the face of the carb and when a stack is used it should be blocked and a hole on the back side drilled, check S&S tech notes.

Or reversion fuel standoff that is wetting your boys or knee? I have seen straight pipes cause the air filter to get soaked with fuel or clouds of fuel in suspension hovering as much as 8" out from the face of the carb due to reversion. A great visualization of the negative effects of drag pipes.

Supporting the manifold is a half measure, properly done the carb needs to be supported at the face (where the air filter would mount). This will prevent any flapping of the carb that might upset the float level, among other things. If you can grab the carb and move it at all it is not adequately supported.
Old 12 Hours Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1961
RussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant future

The idea mention that the air velocity is causing a low pressure situation and sucking air from the bowl makes sense. From the S&S Super B setup instructions problem solving section:

"6. Air horn used without shrouding bowl vent on end of
carburetor body.

NOTE - Bowl vent should be shrouded to insure uniform
atmospheric air pressure between cavity above fuel level in
bowl and area outside carburetor body. If high or low bowl
pressure relative to atmospheric pressure develops, engine may
run erratically."
Old 11 Hours Ago
Greasemonkey

The bowl vent hole is actually not blocked.
The carb is supported well with no up and down movement
I’ll take another look at s&s tech notes to see what you are referring to about the other hole hole being open while running a velocity stack.
The hole I’m originally talking about is the one on the side of the carb where the “b” is located in super b
Old 11 Hours Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1961
RussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant futureRussW has a brilliant future

I think they mean with the stack, that vent hole needs to not only be open and unblocked, but protected from the wind at higher velocity from sucking fuel out the vent hole. By shrouding it, they would suggest you put some sort of "windshield" around the vent hole opening to disrupt the wind suction. I remember reading something about this years ago with the downward facing overflow nipples on carbs where you normally attach a hose. Without the hose, at high enough wind speeds, it would create a vacuum pull at the nipple and cause a fuel drip. Wouldn't matter most times, only at high enough wind (or bike) speeds!
Old 1 Hour Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The hole I’m originally talking about is the one on the side of the carb where the “b” is located in super b
The hole on that side is the air bleed hole. And no, there should not be fuel coming out of there at any time.
First off, is that hole tapped ? Some people tap them to accept a main jet. This makes the air bleed "adjustable" allowing you to raise the rpm level where the main jet kicks in.
If not tapped it should be 0.042".
I have never had fuel coming out of that bleed hole so something is wrong internally.
Have you repleted the bowl gasket or any jets inside the carb ?

Do not worry about the vent hole needing to be shrouded. It is on the right side of the front of the carby. I run a velocity stack and have had no issues on the top end.