The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Bars on C Riser?
Last Post: mattjs666
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 144
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: lucifer_mr2
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,045
Views: 528,963
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,464
Views: 148,806
0 Range With EFI 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 92
Views: 45,556
0 1967 XLCH stroker project
Last Post: barefoot
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 64
Views: 2,556
0 More of a reintroduction
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 29
0 stress killer
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 228
Views: 34,124
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: moparnut72
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1,397
Views: 136,116
0 Sportster Camshaft Degreeing ?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 63
Views: 4,247
0 05 and 73
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 6
Views: 72
0 Throttle cable(s)
Last Post: RussW
Replies: 1
Views: 25
0 Is there a damn Tachometer on a 1970??!!
Last Post: brianbbs67
Replies: 29
Views: 582
0 Fact or Fiction - HP Claims
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 698
Views: 80,488
6 Any good reason to keep a battery added to a '65 XLCH?
Last Post: KCinSB
Replies: 16
Views: 394
5 Am I looking for Trouble ?
Last Post: lew265
Replies: 5
Views: 288
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 885
Views: 143,343
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: brianbbs67
Replies: 3,486
Views: 325,813
0 The norse Saga's, or Pia & Tores ramblings if you like.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 16,232
0 Feeling in trouble.
Last Post: sdsbassist
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 995
0 i need new bars please help!!!!1
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 366
0 Adapters to put a 19" on rear
Last Post: Guidry
Replies: 6
Views: 1,770
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: kaveebee
Replies: 627
Views: 47,913
0 Cylinder Piston kits
Last Post: Dave L
Replies: 86
Views: 3,798
0 Brake light stays on
Last Post: 1980SPORTSTER
Replies: 7
Views: 146
0 The White Bike is the Right Bike Thread.
Last Post: if6was9
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 187
Views: 52,925
0 81 ironhead gear oil large leak
Last Post: Slidesquad24
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 oil cooler or not?
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 131
Views: 20,668
0 Trade Chrome for Black?
Last Post: Piglet
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 40
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: lugster
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 40,122
Views: 6,160,492
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
sltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Manifold Leaks Gone !!!!

I had some studder coming off idle after rebuilding the carb and the general consensus was a manifold leak. Changed them, (runs smooth now), they were the O-ring type as opposed to the vacuum cleaner like belts that the manual stated....might be another of those 79 Roadster anomalies. There was no info on the easiest way to do it so I took longer that it should, for any other newbies, here's the easy way.
1. Remove the choke wire, then the air filter, throttle cable, gas and overflow lines from the carb, then the "cow-bell and ignition on the opposite side, zip tie the cowbell and ignition rack off out of the way.
2. Now that you can see them, loosen the nuts holding the carb in place. When removing the last nut, make sure you're holding onto the carb so I doesn't bounce along the concrete. Time for a beer !
3. Using a long"T" handle allen wrench remove the manifold collars one at a time then remove the "Y" connector.
4. Take the o-rings and after putting just a bit of grease on the carb side only on the step where the o-rings will seat on the "Y" fitting, not on the jug side......with grease, less is more. Force them on to the collar step above where they will be seated, now you don't have to fuss with trying to get them both in place to set the collars. Put the "Y" in place and roll the o-rings on to the step provided for them.
Note: The collars on mine have the screw fittings off to one side, make sure that when you put them back on with the wide side of the bronze band next to the jug head.
5. Gently put the collars back on and snug down when both are in place. Time for another beer !
6. Put everything back together in reverse order. A shot of grain alcohol and a beer is in order now !!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltm1 View Post
....might be another of those 79 Roadster anomalies.
more likely someone put early style heads on your bike.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

i use fiberglass high temp oven tape on the manifold on top of the o-rings, once heat set, absolutely zero leaks, now it is a bear to go back in, requires a lot of elbow grease to remove tape residue, but hey, did i say, ZERO leaks!~!@
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
cazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of lightcazz1000 is a glorious beacon of light

use the good aircraft clamps,, I had leakes on my rear cyln every year for 20 yrs,, my original head bolts ,, would not take the torqe no more ,, stupid me ,, change to colony head bolts,,,,,,shank on colony thicker ,, cad plated,,,compared the to the old,, head bolts with a mic,, some of them were 3mm out compared the new ones
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of lightIron Mike is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz1000 View Post
use the good aircraft clamps,, I had leakes on my rear cyln every year for 20 yrs,, my original head bolts ,, would not take the torqe no more ,, stupid me ,, change to colony head bolts,,,,,,shank on colony thicker ,, cad plated,,,compared the to the old,, head bolts with a mic,, some of them were 3mm out compared the new ones
what???
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to beholdneedspeed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
more likely someone put early style heads on your bike.

(all 79 models had oring heads and oring manis but were fitted with rubber bands from factory).

Per Dr.Dick

http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...98&postcount=6
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
(all 79 models had oring heads and oring manis but were fitted with rubber bands from factory).

Per Dr.Dick

http://xlforum.net/forums/showpost.p...98&postcount=6
Oh oops, could’ve sworn rubber band heads/manis started 79.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
sltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to beholdsltm1 is a splendid one to behold

The collars will not fit over the rubber bands nor will they fit in the channel, they would have to be placed on the pipes above the channel. It'd be like a radiator hose fitment. So it's a split decision between Doodah and Dr.Dick. Like I said, the collars are bronze, does that help to date the manifolds?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
gpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nicegpydeski is just really nice

I got a great tip about zip tying the manifold to socket extention rod on the primary side of the engine from one jug to the other, parallel to the floor. With the o rings rolled onto the manifold pop them in until they seat. Tighten the zips down and it aint going any where. Then put your clamps on you are good to go.
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Weeks Ago
I have been revived

Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Xl 883n
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my bikes, I think the 77 had orings and bands on it when I got it. It worked till it didn't....

The aircraft clamp is all I use when replacing them. They tighten and seal much better.