The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Fuel pump replacement
Last Post: nativebroncofan
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 24
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4,724
Views: 1,801,863
0 Turn signals and switch required 1972 xlch
Last Post: Lone Rider
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 191
0 Crank Assembly problem or Cams Knocking????
Last Post: acable23
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 528
0 Morris mag wheel question
Last Post: USAFpj
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 2,560
0 Longtime XL owner, 1st time forum joiner
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 24
0 Hey, new guy from Detroit
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 342
0 28 years later..
Last Post: USAFpj
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,717
0 How to eliminate TSM on 2000
Last Post: steveolds
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Views: 164
0 Clutch issues
Last Post: bassgrinder
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 296
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 12,312
Views: 1,121,984
0 cscycle service Mt. Victory , Ohio
Last Post: Larry May
Replies: 0
Views: 16
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 6,143
Views: 780,934
0 oil filter choices
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 14
Views: 202
0 Primary will not seal
Last Post: dodgetrucken
Replies: 16
Views: 331
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 113
Views: 3,659
0 Upcoming 1275 hammer upgrade carb choices
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 65
0 Oil cap problems - Bikers Choice 02-073
Last Post: dieselvette
Replies: 21
Views: 775
0 Hello with new to me 60’ xlch
Last Post: Stairman
Views: 117
0 EFI hose clamps
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 18
Views: 589
0 New member 76 sportster
Last Post: jaa55
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 64
Views: 6,065
7 Hy from Austria
Last Post: heyshott 81
Replies: 11
Views: 115
0 Leaking Head Gasket, Loose head bolts
Last Post: NGOT8R
Views: 108
0 Sportster. Xlh model. 1982
Last Post: heyshott 81
Views: 142
0 Front end swap
Last Post: stalkie
Replies: 15
Views: 663
0 Fuel pump replacement
Last Post: nativebroncofan
Replies: 0
Views: 28
7 Oldest Motorcycle You've Owned
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 66
Views: 3,126
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: lehel
Replies: 360
Views: 43,354
0 1975 XLCH1000 Splitting Cases
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 188
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,047
Views: 1,690,041
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
ecm, powervision, tts, tuner, unlock

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Lunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tuner Problems on used Bike

In 2015 I bought a 2009 Nightster from the brother of the owner. It has short shots on it. This year I finally decided to get the PV (power vision) as I add a Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I plugged in the PV and it said "Preparing ECU failed".

I called DynoJet and the immediately said that the only reason this message comes up is because the bike was previously tuned with a TTS Mastertune system and that I would need to send the ECM to TTS to have them unlock it so I can access the ECM.

I first thought I could have the dealer unlock it...so long story short, I paid $55 for the dealer to "re" tune it back to stock. But they didn't unlock it. I know it's set to stock cause I'm getting lots of pops on deceleration. I brought it home, plugge in the PV and I got the same message.

I then called TTS, and then sent in the ECM with notes and my personal info. I just spoke with TTS and they were happy to tell me that they could not recognize the lock on the ECM and that it was not their tune. So I am having them send the ECM back to me.

I just called the local HD dealer, got a short sales pitch on a SE tuner...then got a quote on a new ECM, it is $375 and the Labor (to flash or marry to my bike) is $150...so just a quick $550 (after tax) and I should be good to go.

I chose the Power vision due to the added benefits of tachometer view with B+ voltage, idle adjust, fuel gauge etc. and here's the most substantial reason, I DO NOT OWN A WINDOWS BASED COMPUTER OR LAPTOP, so I needed a unit that is self-sufficient without the use of a computer.

At this point does anyone have any suggestions for me? I pray to the internet gods to save me $550, or some amount of money at this point. It's not that I don't have the money, it's that I really don't want to spend it on this unless I absolutely have to. Plus I need to save money for the 2-into-1 exhaust I plan to put on later this summer.
Old 16th April 2019
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Glamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond reputeGlamazon has a reputation beyond repute

Have you a mate with a Power Vision tuner? Sure there's some here running 2 bikes from the same tuner.
Old 16th April 2019
Biker

Lunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of lightLunightas is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon View Post
Have you a mate with a Power Vision tuner? Sure there's some here running 2 bikes from the same tuner.
Nope. None of my friends, or even coworkers for that matter drive a motorcycle.

How would this help anyway? At the moment, I have a ECM that is locked. I need to either unlock it, or buy a new ECM. Unless there is something I missing, or don't know.
Old 16th April 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Have you verified there isn't some sort of tuner already attached to the bike some where else ? this could be preventing the ecm from receiving the new information.

also the contacts on the eCM are gold plated and were only designed for 5 plug in's max.. you may be needing an ecm anyway if there was /is a piggy back system.

keep us updated.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 16th April 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
Have you verified there isn't some sort of tuner already attached to the bike some where else ? this could be preventing the ecm from receiving the new information.

also the contacts on the eCM are gold plated and were only designed for 5 plug in's max.. you may be needing an ecm anyway if there was /is a piggy back system.

keep us updated.
I have not verified that there isn't some sort of tuner on it already. But if there was, wouldn't it plug into the sole J8150 connection? I plugged my PV in this connection, which was vacant when I got to it. Is there anywhere else a tuner could be hooked up?

What you're bringing up sounds like it could* be a possibility, so I'll entertain this thought. And at the moment, I have to believe that this bike is tuned with something other than dynojet, or TTS, or SE...I throw SE in there since I already brought it into the dealer for them to reset to stock, but I suppose that doesn't mean "unlock" now does it....hmmm...

I just hope I can plug in the ECM and ride my bike to the dealer, I don't want to have to tow it there.

I will for sure bring this (thread) to closure, I was surprised I couldn't find something more specific to my situation when I was searching the internet previously. I'd like to help others in the future.
Old 16th April 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

if you disconnected the ecm, there should be a factory connector going directly into the wiring harness, if this connector goes into another unit, box or whatnot then you probably have a piggyback system (goes between factory harness and ecm)
Old 16th April 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddTigger View Post
if you disconnected the ecm, there should be a factory connector going directly into the wiring harness, if this connector goes into another unit, box or whatnot then you probably have a piggyback system (goes between factory harness and ecm)
Now we have something. I'll check this out tonight, and report back....I hope I find something.

5" of snow last Thursday, 65 and sunny today, Getting antsy.
Old 16th April 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
SportyHD is an unknown quantity at this point

Might sound stupid, but do you have the run/kill switch to run? My power vision fails to connect if not in the run position. Would be awesome if it’s this simple.
Old 16th April 2019
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyHD View Post
Might sound stupid, but do you have the run/kill switch to run? My power vision fails to connect if not in the run position. Would be awesome if it’s this simple.
Unfortunately this is not it, I have in fact rode the bike with the PV connected and powered up just to see if I could still see basic info like the Tach etc. but nope, all I could see is the error message during my ride. Thanks anyway, always worth a shot!
Sponsored Links
Old 16th April 2019
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Lunightas, you started your thread in the 'Forum FAQ / How To' section, which is for posts about the Forum, and how to use the forum functions, so I'll move it to the 'Electrical and Ignition' section.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)