The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 145
Views: 51,631
0 Benelli tank on 79’ sportster
Last Post: Fatylonghous
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 643
0 What Kind of Gas Treatment Do You Use?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 402
0 speedometer
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 1,533
0 blonde, brunette, red?
Last Post: Lincoln
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 266
Views: 46,321
0 Not an ironhead, but....
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 67
0 2007 Sportster xl883l (low) 3k original miles
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 20
Views: 384
0 Riding in the rain
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 129
Views: 27,763
0 Timing
Last Post: Clevspeed
Replies: 10
Views: 302
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 115
0 How much is a late 60's early 70's Sportster worth?
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,199
0 Powerraythor conversion
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 871
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,076
0 P0505 code on my '09 XL883C driving me insane!!
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 117
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,356
Views: 805,737
0 gas cap
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 4
Views: 223
0 What weight oil?
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 27
Views: 1,224
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,466
Views: 845,132
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,601
Views: 343,736
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,083
Views: 1,430,228
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,525
Views: 7,189,531
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 131
Views: 10,668
0 Pictorial Essay, my town, Waterloo, Ontario
Last Post: Edwinblake
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 3,964
0 TMC Dumont motorcycle concept
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 145
0 xr1200 thottlebody on xb heads (does it fit?!)
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 44
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,341
Views: 170,071
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: jcn59
Replies: 1,795
Views: 369,515
0 Cable lengths
Last Post: xElvis
Replies: 5
Views: 197
0 Seeking advice on shorter rear shocks
Last Post: Gulf Coaster
Replies: 18
Views: 563
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,463
Views: 545,873
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2011
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguynn View Post
Just a thought on the initial setting, feel free to correct me if I am looking at it wrong.

While the primary cover is still off, couldn't you turn the tensioner shaft until the spring was in the transition spot, put on the lock nut finger tight and measure how much of the threaded shaft was exposed below the nut? Or possibly measure from the outside of cover and get the entire exposed length. Then bottom the shaft to allow for the cover install and then return the shaft to the length you measured once the primary cover was torqued down...seems that would be somewhat more accurate than just feeling for the transition point of spring tension.
Yes, you could do that I guess. I also thought about bottoming it out while the cover was off and then counting how many turns it took to release the spring. But, actually it's not necessary as the feeling is very obvious when the spring "transitions". You can feel the torque necessary to move the screwdriver change instantly. When you back off and turn the shaft back and forth, you can feel the transition point quite clearly.

Last edited by LuxBlue; 19th April 2011 at 17:41..
Old 20th April 2011

LuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond reputeLuxBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I bagged work today since tomorrow at noon is my surgery and I wanted to get another ride in before I'm laid up for a month! Pretty nice today, the last day with no rain in our forcast for several days.

Anyway, I had a chance to check out the new tensioner again on a ride. I am confident that it's adjusted correctly and is working as advertised.

I can honestly say the operative word here is SMOOTH. All the little "lurches" and hitches in the primary chain that used to be there are gone.

Every transition from hard decel and downshifting is seamless, almost like a direct drive. It's not a huge change in most respects but it's very noticeable under certain conditions and I believe a very worthwhile one.

I have about 32 K on my bike and I'm sure my chain is as stretched as it's gonna get. Now that I'm set up, I plan on many, many miles of maintenance free riding, at least as far as primary chain adjusting is concerened.
Old 21st April 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Scott, and best wishes on your surgery- keep us posted, please.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 23rd April 2011

Well, I'm home. I had surgery at noon yesterday (Thursday) and was in recovery by 2:30 pm. I spent a sleepless night in the hospital and was discharged at 10 am this morning.

The surgery went very well but the doc ended up needing to do more than he had first expected. It turns out my C6, C7 disk was so herniated he opted to remove it. So instead of a wedge between the vertebrae I now have a titanium plate with screws and mesh and bone paste fusing my neck together. He also ground off the bone spur that was there.

The great news is, he freed up the nerve that was pinched completely and all the pain in my right arm is gone! He expects I'll be good as new in 4 - 6 weeks.

I have localized pain in my neck and a wicked sore throat caused by the breathing tube used during surgery and because he had to move my throat around so much while digging around in there. He warned me about it before hand and said it should clear up in a day or two. Right now it's hard to swallow food or drink and I can't talk real well but I'm on Vicodin and Soma, a muscle relaxant so all in all the pain is tolerable but I'm living in a cloud and sleepy all the time. I have a 2" horizontal scar on the left side of my neck....chicks dig scars!

"Legs" is the best nurse a guy could ask for. She hovers over me like Florence Nightingale and is taking good care of me.

A beer would taste so good but not till I'm off my meds!

Can't wait to ride the scoot again!

Thanks to all the Forum members for your thoughts, you guys are great!
Old 23rd April 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Swanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of lightSwanny1172 is a glorious beacon of light

Hope you get better soon. I had similar surgery on my lower back 8 years ago and haven't had any problems since.

BTW, my back doctor advised me to wash the Vicodin down with beer.
Old 23rd April 2011
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSX750ESG
Other Motorcycle Year: 1989
bshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura aboutbshadbolt has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the write-up and hope you heal quickly.

Cheers,

Brett
Aesthetics: chin spoiler, bikini fairing, front signal relocation
Old 23rd April 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Scott: Hope all went well with the surgery, you'll have to drop us a note so the Forum family doesn't worry to much. Thanks., Paul
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd April 2011
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: None
Sportster/Buell Year: N/A
jguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nicejguynn is just really nice

Sounds like the surgery was a success! Good thoughts your way for a quick and full recovery!!!
Old 24th April 2011

Day 3....worst of post op pain is gone, yesterday was a real bitch though!

Still on Vicodin and Soma but I'm backing off on the dosage today. Still very hard to swallow food or drink. Feeling pretty good otherwise, went for a short walk today to stimulate my bowels! Didn't work.....yet!

TMI, I know! But I haven't had a BM since Thursday morning before surgery. I guess that's normal considering anesthesia and pain meds?

The weather that was supposed to be rainy and crappy turned out beautiful (cruel irony!)

I was going to be selfish and hope the weather stayed crappy till I healed but I wouldn't want you guys in my area to miss good riding!

Legs is a very patient nurse...she's taking all my whimpering in stride!

Can't wait to get back on the scoot.
Old 25th April 2011
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
trainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond reputetrainman has a reputation beyond repute

When you readjusted the tensioner was there any play in the chain?
I am having a time of finding the release point of the tensioner spring.
Everything else went just as you described and there is no noise coming
from the primary. Just want make sure that everything is OK.

Thanks for the article.

John