The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Project
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 2,605
Views: 345,297
0 Electric Harley sub-forum(s)...?
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 64
0 Speed
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 326
0 Deer hunting at stairman's.
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 37
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,825
Views: 1,582,311
0 sportster and a grand
Last Post: stikflote
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 67
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,589
Views: 220,279
0 On starting a new thread
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 197
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,530
Views: 7,190,527
0 98 Stator Removal / Inspection / Installation
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,324
0 Anyone hunting an XLCH in a Norton Featherbed Project?
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 2,432
0 05 883xl question re: jet size
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 182
0 How much is a late 60's early 70's Sportster worth?
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,364
0 2007 Sportster xl883l (low) 3k original miles
Last Post: eskimo619
Replies: 29
Views: 652
0 latest project sorrry not an ironhead.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 7
Views: 222
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 22
Views: 3,673
0 5 gal tank
Last Post: spoon
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 58
Views: 17,706
0 Pictorial Essay, my town, Waterloo, Ontario
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 19
Views: 4,274
0 front drum bearing fit
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 1
Views: 85
0 Flame's New 1989
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 622
Views: 91,406
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,360
Views: 806,087
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,470
Views: 846,950
0 MikuniHSR REAL WORLD tuning tips for beginners
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 239
Views: 52,299
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,203
Views: 205,677
0 1200 conversion
Replies: 13
Views: 456
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 15,100
Views: 1,432,141
0 To Lace or Not to Lace, or While We're Doing This...
Replies: 13
Views: 518
0 never mind
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 5
Views: 247
0 What Kind of Gas Treatment Do You Use?
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 20
Views: 602
0 This week on Craig's list
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,469
Views: 547,296
More...
Members Birthdays
xlhrick (74), madrat (68), gripdad (65), ask4dug (63), TinMan_4L (58), jrhayden (57), norseXL (54), ftcara (53), rick600, thebisch (49), wademclean, smooth8423 (44), timmaboy (43), mxmike800 (29), OddOneOut (28)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: hd nightrain
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
jakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura about
Default Bagger-tail conversion

NEW PROJECT
Wifey wants a roadking, thats fine but I'm not going to spend 20k on it for her to dump.....so I figure I'll spend 5-6k and if she drops her I'm still good.

Donor bike:
2000 1200xlh, 14k mi. laid down lightly, paid 2700 for it, It has at least a stage 1 upgrade in it, also might have a stage 2 because of a screamin eagle coil, havent dug into the motor yet because it runs and drives great.

In ma. we have to get a salvage title for the bike which means we have to "fix" everything on the ins. estimate. Not replace with new just fix if possible.

So first step is the title, went last week and got rejected,.... kinda figured I would because I didnt do shit to it.

So I prettied her up getting a new rim to lace up, cant use used parts.
Second pic.

I have collected:
hard bags, 09 rear fender and extension kit, front nacelle, 7" headlight to mount inside, pair of touring legs and axle, new 22.25 inch touring tubes, Had a triple tree, road king 2 piece seat, windshield, passing lights and bracket, side covers, Tank, and dash, dual discs. 150 tooth vrod belt, and some misc. stuff

Still need to acquire wheels, I'm going with SMW again for their pricing quality and made in America business strategy. Geting a 21x3.25 for the front and a 18x8.5 for the rear,...Actually swapping my set on my softail for the bagger and doing a 240 on it for the winter

And the big question of the the day is the rear pulley, should I go with the stock 61 tooth or goto a 65 for " touring"

Donor Bike, crashed salvage, mostly cosmetic, except for the front wheel

Almost ready for the salvage title inspection

Bagger frame for mock up and measurements for tube bending

This just shows an initial mock up of the wide glide with a street stalker nacelle on it
Old 11th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

jakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura aboutjakazz has a spectacular aura about

Some other comments,.... or plan of attack.

I'm going to stretch the swingarm 4 " in the rear, and widen it to accomadate a 200mm tire.

The total height from bottom of frame on the sporty and the bagger are just about the same, so I wont be dropping the seat.

The complete rear section of the bagger frame will be bent up an attached to the seat post and backbone.

This should allow plenty of room for the electrics and oil tank, shit I could probably fit a truck battery in that space.

Thinking about modifying the exaust int a 2-1 using the front pipes on the V&H.

I purchased a 09 streetglide fender and extension for harley, and will widen the rear of the frame a total of 1/2" to accommodate it. Lighting in the rear will be in the bags and in the extension. Found some super cool lights to install in the bags.

Using a softail tank with a "custom" harley dash... got it on the real cheap, Oh there will be alot of powdercoat on this also. The paint will be black and a emerald blue crazer from also. She picked it and I have to admit its sweet.

Also will be employing a batwing into the scheme of things that will use the detach setup for the windsheild. Painted to match of course.

The bike will also have a 21" on the front with a full fender on it.

The front touring legs will be smoothed before pc 'ing them

RK air shock will also go right on this.

The main theme is to use as much "factory" stuff to make most things "bolt" onto it. The main reason for the RK frame.

This should be fun:rolley es:
Old 11th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

This SHOULD be fun!!! I would stay with the stock rear pulley and go up a tooth on the front pulley to drop the rpm about 250...

You're gonna have lots of room on that frame with that engine...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 11th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
mikey04 will become famous soon enoughmikey04 will become famous soon enoughmikey04 will become famous soon enoughmikey04 will become famous soon enoughmikey04 will become famous soon enoughmikey04 will become famous soon enoughmikey04 will become famous soon enough

pretty interesting keep the pics coming
Old 17th October 2008

snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Jakazz--any updates???
Old 18th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

Talking

Just got my Police Salvage inspection today so its a verified "real" sportster......hehehehe... now I can cut it up. Had to buy a new rim and lace it up for this.

Pc'd the lower legs and put the tubes together. The nacelle is a Street Stalker setup, its ABS and will be a gloss black when painted. The windshield will have all the metal parts pc'd gloss black. And the Batwing will painted to match the paint. Which will be a two tone black/emerald blue crazer

I have found a place that sells hardware at a good cost and their website is easy to navigate and has chrome fasteners.

So I have decided to use "blackened" fasteners with brass accents on most of the Bike. Will also paint the cases black and try to find some powdercoat with a "Brass" look to it. Can you say Primary,Timing, and rocker covers in a "brass" look with matching fasteners around the bike

http://www.boltdepot.com/Chrome-nuts-and-bolts.aspx

Will pull the frt end off this wknd, and mock the nacelle up. Ordering the wheels Mon. Probably start the rear section this upcoming week.

Gonna try and get my swingarm jig built this wknd also

Heres some pc pics, and my restored....." inspected ride"

Old 18th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

Todays work:
Started mocking up the frt end.

Start by stripping off the frt end of the sporty,.... again, wont bore you with those pics.

I'm using a nacelle off the street stalker HD kit, its for pre 99 softails which have a slightly smaller space between the tubes on the trees. I'm also using a softail triple tree, I think its off a standard. The lower trees do not have bosses to connect the nacelle to, so something will have to be done.

Most of the work and issues have already been thought of and "most" have a possible fix,... at least in my mind

A few issues would need to be resolved first is the headlight mount. The lite is off a fatboy and would not fit inside without modifications.

So i would have to make a block to fit and also shave the back off the housing attachment point. POINTYou can cut and even router aluminum, just use a slow feed rate and a sharp cutter, AND EYE PROTECTION This shit can get nasty if you catch it in the eye. Hearing protection for those of us not married.

Block will be shaved and smoothed later, drilled and tapped and ready to go.
Sweet, worked first try, I'm gonna like this build

Onto the the next problem, if you look at the triple trees you will notice the mounting holes in the nacelle arent lining up with the triple treeshit...

But I have an idea, cut a couple of pieces of 12 ga metal, bend them to fit the tubes and weld a nut on them. To hold them in place a couple of hose clamps on each.

Put the lite bar and passing lite on, checked to make sure windshield would clear. Had to trim windshield to fit. Checked a few positions of the Tank "old" fender, and bags.

Oh were def. talking beach bars on this one

And a few mock up pics

Im 6 foot 230' ish the OL is 5'10 so this should be a good approximation of the cockpit area.

And my score on the dash

Didnt get a chance to start the swingarm jig yet gonna be riding tomorrow so nothing till mid week. The plan for the swingarm is a 4 inch extension and widen to accomadate a 200mm tire. Since this will be a bagger and may also go 2 up some times I'm going to run a tube around the bottom of the swingarm with a truss like setup, webbed back up to the original. It will bent out of 1.25 DOM and will be tig'd to it for support.

Something like this,....very rough

Old 18th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

Oh yeah found my brass powder coat, a little pricey at 19.00 a pound, but shouldnt need a lot.

http://roseyspowdercoating.biz/osCom...roducts_id=245

Old 18th October 2008

Excellent job so far, bro!!!

Really like the front end and tank dash...
Thanks for the bolt site and Rosey's for the brass powder coat.
Sponsored Links
Old 20th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

So I didnt get much done today. The OL and kid are sick, so I have to attend to them between machining

Anyway I'm still waiting for my 1" x 1 1/2" stock to come for my swingarm. So I decided to start the web support bracket for strengthening the swingarm. Still need to cut and spread it also. Wanted to make a metal jig for more swingarms but that will have to wait. Its gonna be a wood jig again. So heres some pics.

My Mill, its a small Atlas, cost @ 700, and I had to purchase tooling, Its nice because its small, benchtop-ish. I wish I had the space for a Bridgeport. But beggars.....

Now the swingarm pics

Remember I'm going to stretch this 4" thats why the support extends past for now

I was initially going to angle these braces for a "web" effect which would def be stronger. But 2 much work