The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,974
Views: 7,083,656
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,809
Views: 1,274,142
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 229
0 Andrews PB+
Last Post: the yukon sizzler
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,634
0 Headlight burning Out (Voltage regulator?)
Last Post: konqistador
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 239
0 ultima iggy plate near the end of travel
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 600
0 3.25x19? 90-90x19?
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 170
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: hhugger
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 4,902
0 Zenith Bendix check valve
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 178
0 Your Favorite Style
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 480
Views: 189,305
0 Sundowner seat positioning
Replies: 29
Views: 1,252
0 Have my cake and eat it too? 1275 + 570s + CVJ
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 76
Views: 1,953
0 CV carb rubber bung
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 221
0 Iree's late night cafe
Replies: 1,301
Views: 162,257
0 Grounded
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 159
Views: 7,213
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 2,358
Views: 196,531
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 57
Views: 1,494
0 Helmet poll
Last Post: Boil1337
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 827
Views: 154,181
0 1992 Schematic
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 3
Views: 106
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Boil1337
Replies: 6,345
Views: 814,568
0 I can not go up a Hill,WHY?
Last Post: broknluck
Replies: 43
Views: 2,183
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: Dave48
Replies: 1,015
Views: 231,487
0 What is it and Where (Wiring Other Tail Light And Turn Signals)
Last Post: broknluck
Replies: 18
Views: 841
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 65
Views: 5,036
0 Seeley Ironhead race bike
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 1,014
0 74 XLH disk brake lower anchor pin
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 53
0 Helmets Please...
Last Post: webman94
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 238
Views: 54,644
0 Clutch Spring plate poll
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 310
Views: 62,983
0 Mounting VM38-9 to 42mm manifold '65 XLCH
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 205
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,675
Views: 444,831
More...
Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (77), painter (70), motobob883 (67), rickxx (65), MRCLEEN (47), Wetcheez (46), hello_shoes (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1970 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
smokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of lightsmokey 2 is a glorious beacon of light

I have the same problem with my '70 xlch. It will go forever at 65- 70 mph, but
go to75 and it loses it. I will be checking all the tips on here this weekend.
Thanks for everyone contributing.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM Duke 390
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Bigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
But this does sound like fuel starvation. To be sure (it is or isn't) disconnect your fuel line from your carb, put a measuring cup under the fuel line and turn on the petcock. To make 50 HP you need to flow an absolute MINIMUM of 5 gal of gas per hour. That means filling an 8 oz measuring cup in less than 45 seconds.

If you can't get at least 8 oz of gas out of the fuel line in 45 seconds you have a fuel flow problem. I rounded the numbers a bit but this will give you an idea if you have (or don't have) a fuel flow issue. BEST way to do this test is with the bowl off of the carb and measuring fuel flow into the bowl thru the needle and seat but flow out of the fuel line will give you an idea what's going on.

Interesting, the thread skipped to the next page and I missed this advice. I don’t disagree that this sounds like a fuel flow thing, but I’ve had a cracked coil on a bike that behaved erratically so once bitten twice shy I guess.
I’ve finally carved out some time tomorrow morning to go through some things on this bike and I will check this, I do love the process of elimination. Considering the reserve setting on the petcock does not function (leaving me hilariously stranded out of fuel the other night as a thunderstorm bore down on me) it wouldn’t shock me to find out that it is restricting flow.
Thank you!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster-Glide
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
dieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant futuredieselvette has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
But this does sound like fuel starvation. To be sure (it is or isn't) disconnect your fuel line from your carb, put a measuring cup under the fuel line and turn on the petcock. To make 50 HP you need to flow an absolute MINIMUM of 5 gal of gas per hour. That means filling an 8 oz measuring cup in less than 45 seconds.

If you can't get at least 8 oz of gas out of the fuel line in 45 seconds you have a fuel flow problem. I rounded the numbers a bit but this will give you an idea if you have (or don't have) a fuel flow issue. BEST way to do this test is with the bowl off of the carb and measuring fuel flow into the bowl thru the needle and seat but flow out of the fuel line will give you an idea what's going on.
This is a great idea. It may make a (slight) difference how full the tank is, so maybe drain a whole tank through and see if/when it slows down. Definitely test it on reserve too.

I've had brand new aftermarket crap like petcocks and tank strainers that were inadequate right out of the box. So just because it's new and clean, don't assume it should work.

If men can build it, men can fix it. - Tim Allen

2004 1200 Roadster Custom-Electra-Glide-Sport-Touring-Edition
SE air cleaner w/venting routed outside a/c
Supertrapp 2:1 pipe - usually 20 discs w/closed endcap
Stock CV carb w/ Yost tube + DS idle mixture screw
Cycle Electric 38A charging system
TC88A ignition
0.030 head gasket, zero deck-height
Hammer 570 cams
Bronze oil pump gear, updated oil pump
30-tooth HDI belt sprocket (137-tooth belt)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Bigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant future

Did a simple test and pulled the fuel line off of the carb and dropped it in to a measured jar. In 18 seconds I got 12 floz through the fuel line, so fuel flow is not the issue.
Pulled the plugs and while the front one is whiter, both were dry and predominantly brown. I then checked compression on both cylinder and the front read 130psi while the rear only read 118. That’s not cool, looks like I’m in for a top end job in the near future.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant futureGA_Ironhead has a brilliant future

Within 10% of each other. I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant futureIron Mike has a brilliant future

Adj the valves and do comp test again (@ WFO). Tight valve will not contact head properly and will not pass off heat to head. Perhaps you've been experiencing a valve sticking as mentioned prior.
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1275HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
BlackThunderBolt is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you using a stock ignition system or an aftermarket system? I have had this same problem and thought it was my fuel system and I checked out every angle of the fuel system and could not find anything wrong with the fuel system. Then I turn to the ignition system. Since I change my stock ignition system over to Dynatek long before I started having the same issues as what you're having. I decided to change the ignition system back to the stock ignition and the problem was resolved. So, I contacted Dynatek, told them my problem, sent it back to them and they replace it with a new system. I have the new Dynatek system install and everything has been running fine with no more issues.

Last edited by BlackThunderBolt; 3 Weeks Ago at 00:15..
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackThunderBolt View Post
Are you using a stock ignition system or an aftermarket system? I have had this same problem and thought it was my fuel system and I checked out every angle of the fuel system and could not find anything wrong with the fuel system. Then I turn to the ignition system. Since I change my stock ignition system over to Dynatek long before I started having the same issues as what you're having. I decided to change the ignition system back to the stock ignition and the problem was resolved. So, I contacted Dynatek, told them my problem, sent it back to them and they replace it with a new system. I have the new Dynatek system install and everything has been running fine with no more issues.
Haven't been able to open the iggy cover and research that.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Did a simple test and pulled the fuel line off of the carb and dropped it in to a measured jar. In 18 seconds I got 12 floz through the fuel line, so fuel flow is not the issue.
That's not a full test. The biggest restriction point in the fuel supply is always going to be the needle and seat.

You need to pull the drain plug ad measure fuel flow into the float bowl itself.

What you describe in your first post is VERY indicative of fuel starvation.

Unless your running Sifton Bonneville cams and open short drag pipes but I would expect serious hesitation in the other gears would have told you about that problem.

These engines require a lot more fuel than most people think. They generally only get about 55 miles to the gallon.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Head View Post
That's not a full test. The biggest restriction point in the fuel supply is always going to be the needle and seat.

You need to pull the drain plug ad measure fuel flow into the float bowl itself.

What you describe in your first post is VERY indicative of fuel starvation.

Unless your running Sifton Bonneville cams and open short drag pipes but I would expect serious hesitation in the other gears would have told you about that problem.

These engines require a lot more fuel than most people think. They generally only get about 55 miles to the gallon.
Given more time, pulling the float bowl and testing flow through there is on the list. I did notice that while I had recently filled the tank with fresh gas, when I first disconnected the line from the carb the gas was brown. Once I opened the petcock the gas from the tank was normal yellowish. So it’s possible there is sediment in the bowl.
Again, lack of time.