The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 Riding jackets
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 3,134
0 How many helmets?
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 207
Views: 40,313
0 New rider, first ride
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 86
0 New from Washington
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 150
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,299
Views: 161,231
0 69/50 Fest: The 50th Anniversary of the 1969 Sportster (Fall 2019 GBB) 9/14/19
Last Post: brianbbs67
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 62
Views: 4,291
0 Tour of Honor
Last Post: Traxx
Replies: 6
Views: 297
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: RKN
Replies: 19
Views: 402
0 Vote for Most Sought After Sportster
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 327
Views: 72,733
0 Transformer XR1200
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 60
Views: 4,189
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 44,937
Views: 7,078,161
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,913
Views: 764,360
0 Have my cake and eat it too? 1275 + 570s + CVJ
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 273
0 An Ohio Meet 'N' Eat
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 575
0 Starting woes :(
Replies: 8
Views: 308
0 Seeley Ironhead race bike
Last Post: ex119x
Replies: 14
Views: 739
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4,282
Views: 509,001
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Boil1337
Replies: 6,340
Views: 813,120
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: 02vette
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 236,036
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 13,724
Views: 1,264,581
14 Post your Bike in a Cemetary Pic
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 352
Views: 63,141
0 Show your bike next to an abandoned building
Last Post: Lone Rider
Replies: 47
Views: 11,841
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,394
Views: 309,190
0 70 XLCH Piston, Connecting rod issue
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 58
Views: 2,382
0 dual carb heads on ebay
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 10
Views: 700
0 hmmm, whaddaya think? (Footpeg Location)
Last Post: slcharger
Replies: 111
Views: 24,751
0 My 1988 basket case has a belt? Should I keep it?
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 45
0 Further forward mids on pre-2014 models
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 2
Views: 94
0 Sparkplugs & Sparkplug Wires
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 5
Views: 177
0 My Iron
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 1,221
More...
Members Birthdays
Zanzibar, stvmike (65), Leroywulf (61), Erik (58), SoCal Harley (53), drew96 (41), Reverend_d (39)
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2015
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Harley ‘Cranked’ Footpeg Mounts

In 2011 Harley started putting footpegs with ‘cranked’ mounts on forward controls. These bring the pegs back a little (and slightly down too). This, in effect, makes the forward controls slightly less forward, and makes the reach to the footpegs a little less.

Unfortunately it also puts the brake pedal and shifter peg further from the pegs. They might suit some people, I suppose, but I have to say I don’t like them at all. For me they make the brake pedal and shifter peg too far from the footpeg, instead of being in just the right place, as they are with the regular straight mount pegs.

These pegs really make no sense to me. In general, I would expect that many people who might appreciate a smaller reach to the footpegs, wouldn’t want that bigger distance from the footpegs to the brake pedal and shifter peg.

This is what we’re talking about. These are regular straight mounts:

These are cranked mounts:

These two pics show what I mean about the bigger distance from the footpeg to the shifter/pedal:

But, so far, so good. You can use either the regular straight mount pegs, or these newer, cranked mount, pegs, on the traditional footpeg clevises (the forked fittings on the bike to which the footpegs mount). So you’d think that if you didn’t like the cranked mount pegs, you could just swap them with some regular pegs? Many people will want to swap because they want aftermarket pegs, which (almost) all still come with the regular (and hitherto universal) straight mounts.

Except that you can't do that, because the mounts on the pegs aren’t the only thing that Harley changed. They also changed the clevises (on forward controls only) so that one side is longer than the other, and because of this you can’t fit straight mount pegs on ‘cranked peg’ clevises. The ‘cranked peg’ clevis doesn’t support the peg better, or make the clevis stronger; its sole purpose seems to be to prevent you from fitting straight mount pegs. Presumably so that you can’t fit a non Harley peg, or to make you spend more money (around $126 for black clevises, or a whopping £127 in the UK) on swapping back to regular clevises.

These are regular clevises:

This is a ‘cranked peg’ clevis:

It used to be the case that when you bought a set of forward controls, for example to convert from mid mounts, the kit included the older ‘straight’ clevises, so there was no problem. My 2013 ‘72’ came with cranked pegs and the corresponding clevises, but I replaced the whole of the (chrome/polished) forward controls with a set of black forward controls, which had the regular clevises, and so I had no problems fitting regular pegs.

Unfortunately that is no longer the case for the 2014+ bikes. The accessory forward control kits for these bikes come with the stupidly shaped newer clevises, so you can’t fit regular pegs. For the black forwards, you don’t even get the newer clevises in black, but in chrome, instead.

Summarizing the position for different years and types of controls:

Mid Mount Controls: Any Year
These are no problem at all: mid mount controls never have the stupid uneven clevises.
Model Years Up To And Including 2010
These are no problem: the forward control clevises, whether stock or in accessory forward control kits, are the older ‘straight peg’ type.
Model Years 2011 To 2013
These have the ‘cranked peg’ clevises on stock forward controls, but the ‘straight peg’ clevises in accessory forward control kits.
Model Years 2014 And Later
These have the ‘cranked peg’ clevises on stock forward controls and in accessory forward control kits.
So, if you have ‘cranked peg’ clevises, and want to fit regular straight mount pegs, what can you do?

You could modify the 'cranked peg' clevises by grinding or cutting and filing the long side of each clevis to match the short side.

Or you could change the 'cranked peg' clevises over to the older style parts. Here are the relevant part numbers:

Mid Controls
Rider Footrest Bracket, Left (Black): # 42972-04
Rider Footpeg Clevis, Right (Chrome): # 42541-04
(straight or cranked mount pegs can be fitted; there are no 'cranked peg' mid mount clevises)
Forward Controls
’Straight Peg’ Mounts
Rider Footpeg Clevis, Left, Chrome: # 42541-04
Rider Footpeg Clevis, Right, Chrome: # 42566-04
Rider Footpeg Clevis, Left, Black: # 42503-07
Rider Footpeg Clevis, Right, Black: # 42504-07
’Cranked Peg’ Mounts
Rider Footpeg Clevis, Left, Chrome: # 51730-10
Rider Footpeg Clevis, Right, Chrome: # 51731-10
(there are no black 'cranked peg' clevises)
Replacement clevises are pretty expensive: $80.80 for a pair in chrome (£95.52 in the UK) and $125.74 for black (£126.95 in the UK).

Alternatively you can get Drag Specialities 'straight peg' clevises. They are available in chrome (# 1622-0474) or black (# 1622-0475). Both are $74.95 for a pair. So, not much saving over the H-D parts for the chrome ones, but a substantial saving for the black ones. The black clevises are said to be 'anodized', so the clevises are presumably aluminium, not steel.

They also do a version (# 1622-0476 or 1622-0477) which positions the pegs 2" forward, at $124.95.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)

Last edited by Folkie; 21st November 2017 at 00:25.. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 9th July 2015
Brass Nut

Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the introduction of the cranked pegs is related to the 'feelers'. Harley now seem to believe that the rider pegs should have feelers that will scrape the road way before anything else on the bike. But with forwards the pegs didn't scrape; it was the exhaust or the kick stand pivot. With the regular pegs, feelers that give the same degree of 'safety' would be inordinately long, so the cranked pegs were introduced to lower the pegs and allow similarly sized feelers.

That's my theory, anyway.
Old 5th August 2015
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Guzzi V7 Stone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: 18 Guzzi V7D / 11 Duc 696
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Folkie, I skimmed your right up so I'm not positive whether or not you considered this.

But IF the problem is the distance from the peg to the control, AND if someone doesn't mind the pegs being further away instead of closer in, couldn't you just swap sides.

I.E. mount the left peg to the right and the right to the left, so the crank faces the controls instead of the rider?

Or is there something else asymmetrical about the mount that I'm missing which would prevent that?
Old 5th August 2015
Brass Nut

No, not with the uneven clevises. Once you have resolved the uneven clevises (by substituting them, or chopping) you can then fit whatever pegs you want, whichever way around you want.

I don't want the pegs further from the pedals. Nor do I want the pegs closer to the pedals (than the old standard). I want the pegs right where they always were. I also want to be able to fit any damn pegs I want to.

Of course some people may prefer the cranked pegs. I have nothing against cranked pegs being available. However I think it's perverse to modify the clevises so that you can only fit cranked pegs.

There have been a lot of queries about the new pegs and clevises, what pegs people can get that will fit, why the pegs they want won't fit, etc. I just thought it would be useful to put all the info in one place.
Old 12th August 2015
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDLI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
MacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant futureMacSporty02 has a brilliant future

I hate the stock pegs on Harley, they're not very comfortable
Old 12th August 2015
Brass Nut

So?

I like the stock pegs, and think they're very comfortable. With the regular straight mounts, anyway.

But that's not the point. I think people should have the choice. And whether they're stock pegs or aftermarket pegs, I think people should be able to have pegs with regular straight mounts (or with cranked mounts if they want).

If you don't like the stock pegs, tough luck, because with the stock clevises, you don't have any choice.
Closed Thread