The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Sportster runs only on choke
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 11
0 newbie
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 52
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 578
0 hello and help!
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 430
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,763
Views: 1,548,917
0 67 to 70 cam cover and sprocket cover.
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Views: 20
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: koolbreeze
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 576
Views: 75,222
0 Tired of hearing the Sportster is a girls bike (The one and only Girly Bike Thread)
Last Post: bimbo
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3,925
Views: 766,006
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Replies: 54
Views: 10,568
0 Help with my 2007 883R and Cobra 909 exhaust
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 2
Views: 23
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: Hellbent_4
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,555
Views: 272,068
0 battery drain
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Views: 33
0 Ignition coil rating ?
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Views: 35
5 What Color Helmet is Most Noticable?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 56
Views: 8,642
0 Headlight - What are you using ? - '74 XLH
Last Post: ryder rick
Views: 49
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: kkbii
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,405
Views: 312,286
0 Happy Birthday Joebobber
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 193
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 12
Views: 370
0 Breather in cam cover 1985
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 168
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bow only
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,349
Views: 816,167
0 Poll: Do you change tires yourself?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 124
Views: 30,327
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 1,202
Views: 324,624
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 13,857
Views: 1,280,692
0 New to us
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 136
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,937
Views: 755,231
11 Ss carburetor
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 100
0 Battery Voltage Question
Last Post: canoli
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 119
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 44,986
Views: 7,086,383
0 Happy Birthday Crusty!!!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 101
More...
Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (72), cartoad2001 (70), Dirty Ernie (64), ncpickman (58), bri1200c (56), pquirk (53), GOTWA (50), gremlinsteve (50), lbowles2 (48), Guess (40), rnaway22es, landon283 (31)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2017
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
No, thanks... That's a great explanation.

So basically you're looking to replace the OEM bags. To be honest yeah, other than custom mounting some GIVI or HB there aren't a lot of options that have much more room.

I'm surprised though, I always thought the OEM bags weren't bad, but then again the LeatherLykes are even smaller so I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I feel like the new FLH bags are something crazy like 60L or something like that. When I'm on the FLHP I almost feel like I don't need the topcase.
The bags on the SLT are similar to the hard leather 9like) covered bags I had. The odd shape and the cutout for the shock results in less usable room.

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 23rd November 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Guzzi V7 Stone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: 18 Guzzi V7D / 11 Duc 696
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
The bags on the SLT are similar to the hard leather 9like) covered bags I had. The odd shape and the cutout for the shock results in less usable room.
Yeah I assume they're the same as the OEM ones my buddies run on their pair of touring 883's. I helped install both sets so I'm passingly familiar.

Old 23rd November 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 SuperLowT
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
kap has disabled reputation

Aside from room the stock bags are in no way water resistant. And if you use trash compactor liners like I do they have the reflector mounting posts that stick in there and tear them and snag anything else. I consider my bags to be like the trunk of a car. Most people would be upset if their car trunk leaked. Mfgs have been making trunks that don't leak for a long time, for the most part. Additionally, I think that mounting the plastic bags with just two bolts for support (especially on what I call a vibrator) is not a very good approach. In general, I think the stock bags from the cheap covering job on down are crap. I thought this when considering the bike and still do, lol. Well maybe not lol but leaning over--you get the idea. All just my opinion and I am sure some just love them. "Oh Honey, they are just the most darling little things. Why, I just love them to pieces".
Old 23rd November 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Guzzi V7 Stone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2013
Other Motorcycle Model: 18 Guzzi V7D / 11 Duc 696
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap View Post
Aside from room the stock bags are in no way water resistant. And if you use trash compactor liners like I do they have the reflector mounting posts that stick in there and tear them and snag anything else. I consider my bags to be like the trunk of a car. Most people would be upset if their car trunk leaked. Mfgs have been making trunks that don't leak for a long time, for the most part. Additionally, I think that mounting the plastic bags with just two bolts for support (especially on what I call a vibrator) is not a very good approach. In general, I think the stock bags from the cheap covering job on down are crap. I thought this when considering the bike and still do, lol. Well maybe not lol but leaning over--you get the idea. All just my opinion and I am sure some just love them. "Oh Honey, they are just the most darling little things. Why, I just love them to pieces".
I should probably point out that those two bikes in the picture are in Key West, and they're from Philly. They've toured all over in all sorts of weather without complaints of leaks.

I've heard similar complaints that LeatherLykes can leak but I've only ever experienced a little drip once or twice, and not even in both bags the same day.

< Shrugs >

Funny though on my first road trip with the FLHP I rode through a toad soaker and found one of the OEM bags had actually taken on a little water. Scratched my head over that one. Guess I need to pay more attention when closing that lid with the handy "one hand" lever assembly.

< Shrugs more >

I will say I'm sure the Givis are water tight, like my HB's. Though you never can tell with clamshell style bags, once in a while you manage a drip if the lid/seal gets slightly misaligned, maybe if they're overstuffed or something.

Well I'll be interested to see what you wind up doing.

Old 23rd November 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I've noticed about my Juniors is that if I wash the bags with the wand at the quarter car wash, water gets in. Other than that, they're pretty much waterproof.
Old 6th December 2017
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Royal Enfield / BMW
c1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud ofc1skout has much to be proud of

I put Givi Monokey (e21) bags, a Bestem T-box and a Windjammer on my sporty. Sorry I cant put up any pics here. If you google "sportstour" images you'll see some photos from my build that were lost to photobucket.
Old 6th December 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 SuperLowT
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
kap has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1skout View Post
I put Givi Monokey (e21) bags, a Bestem T-box and a Windjammer on my sporty. Sorry I cant put up any pics here. If you google "sportstour" images you'll see some photos from my build that were lost to photobucket.
I'll see if I can find them. I can see a lot of box possibilities. I am continuing the bag thing. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 6th December 2017
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Superlow 1200T
SonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond reputeSonWon has a reputation beyond repute

I ran across this the other day.

BAGSTER SADDLEBAG MOUNT FOR SPORTSTER
Old 6th December 2017
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap View Post
When I was running my bags that look similar to those I had a little water get in but not very much. It was mainly in very heavy rains and I think it came in through the latches. And I never had an issue with the way the bags mounted. I forget when I changed them out but I may have had 75,000 or more miles on them when I did.

I liked them because I never forgot to close them. I cannot tell you how many times I have pulled out with my current bags only to sense that one was not closed and reach back to feel it flapping in the wind.

Good luck in the search. I'm very interested in what you find as I am considering a change myself
Old 30th January 2018
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FXLR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
scooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant futurescooby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Welcome to the XLForum.

I have an Eglide for long rides but have my Sporty setup to tour too.

Built satellite radio on windshield.

What windshield do you have there?