The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Active Threads
5 She´s Squirting/Spraying gas into the air-cleaner... HELP
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 52
0 Did I wreck my rocker box? (2007 1200C)
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 24
0 Hello From Pennsylvania
Last Post: TalksToToads
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 360
0 No name carbs.
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 39
0 POTM (Pic Of The Month)
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 140
0 Silver solder my tank or just use a liner product?
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 539
0 Another Starter that Failed to Engage
Last Post: ktate
Replies: 0
Views: 16
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 82
Views: 227,798
0 Mick Abandoning PhotoBucket
Replies: 11
Views: 456
0 Chinese shift lever?
Last Post: owlsplace
Views: 22
0 Need someone in Nebraska for a School Project
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 4
Views: 62
0 Magneto mystery
Replies: 17
Views: 399
0 a simple question on the grenade plate issue
Last Post: Bluto
Replies: 15
Views: 315
0 Tourmaster Transition 5 jacket:
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 639
0 New battery
Last Post: sportysrock
Replies: 9
Views: 301
0 HAMMERPerf 90" In the Works
Last Post: MatHormell
Replies: 1,561
Views: 181,820
0 Powervision AFR
Last Post: 09Nightsterrider
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 31
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,471
Views: 257,005
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: walterxlh
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,953
Views: 747,206
0 .551 Cams in an EFI 1200
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 11
Views: 342
0 Carburetor 101 Float valve question
Last Post: walterxlh
Replies: 13
Views: 463
0 frame links are kaput
Last Post: b0fh
Replies: 6
Views: 217
0 Thanks Hammer Performance!
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 9
Views: 310
3 FS: '65 XLCH, Santa Barbara, CA
Last Post: KCinSB
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 39
0 Riding in the rain
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 127
Views: 26,042
0 Springfield Mile
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 7
Views: 289
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: xElvis
Replies: 160
Views: 37,498
0 timing.
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 142
0 Oil in air cleaner
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 10
Views: 313
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: clark1124
Replies: 1,080
Views: 301,165
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
BlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud of
Default XR1200 caliper on XL883 issue

So, guys.....and/or gals

I purchased a basketcase sporty last year and I am just now getting around to assembling it. Since the front caliper that came with the bike needed the mounting bracket and new pads, I went ahead and purchased a XR1200 caliper to install..

WELLLLL, I go to install the caliper and the mounting points arent correct AND its not seeming like there is any possible way to fit it with the wheel.

The caliper mounting center to center measurement is: 3.8975"
The fork mounting center to center measurement is: 3.4335"

The inside width of my fork STANCHIONS (not sliders/legs) are: 5.530"
These too narrow?

The frame is titled a 1999, the forks are most likely a 1999 as well. Can anyone confirm this based upon those measurements? Did Harley change caliper mounting dimensions on the forks?

The wheel is a mag wheel and I know that the XR caliper is usually VERY close to the wheel but mine will contact and contact good.

any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Davidson FLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
JacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud ofJacksBrother has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHornet View Post
So, guys.....and/or gals

I purchased a basketcase sporty last year and I am just now getting around to assembling it. Since the front caliper that came with the bike needed the mounting bracket and new pads, I went ahead and purchased a XR1200 caliper to install..

WELLLLL, I go to install the caliper and the mounting points arent correct AND its not seeming like there is any possible way to fit it with the wheel.

The caliper mounting center to center measurement is: 3.8975"
The fork mounting center to center measurement is: 3.4335"

The inside width of my fork STANCHIONS (not sliders/legs) are: 5.530"
These too narrow?

The frame is titled a 1999, the forks are most likely a 1999 as well. Can anyone confirm this based upon those measurements? Did Harley change caliper mounting dimensions on the forks?

THANKS!
Yep, they changed the brake mounts in 2000. Post 2K's no longer used floating calipers. There is an adapter that will make the bolt holes line up, but its the shimming that will get interesting. As you said, there ain't a lot of room to work with. You might also consider one of the Dyna 4-pot calipers, but again, you'll need 2000+ lower legs to make it work.
Good Luck,
Joe
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

BlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud ofBlackHornet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksBrother View Post
Yep, they changed the brake mounts in 2000. Post 2K's no longer used floating calipers. There is an adapter that will make the bolt holes line up, but its the shimming that will get interesting. As you said, there ain't a lot of room to work with. You might also consider one of the Dyna 4-pot calipers, but again, you'll need 2000+ lower legs to make it work.
Good Luck,
Joe
thanks for the reply! So, most likely about the same time you posted this response, I was heading back to my other bikes and pulled the forks off of a 2000 parts bike that I had and.....

Caliper bolts up! Awesome, right?!?!

well.....theres still no way for the caliper to clear the mag wheel. I have no idea why. It appears as if there just isnt enough room between the rotor and the wheel "spokes"

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?!??!
Old 1 Week Ago
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 88" softail frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB1250 Uly XT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Randy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
thanks for the reply! So, most likely about the same time you posted this response, I was heading back to my other bikes and pulled the forks off of a 2000 parts bike that I had and.....

Caliper bolts up! Awesome, right?!?!

well.....theres still no way for the caliper to clear the mag wheel. I have no idea why. It appears as if there just isnt enough room between the rotor and the wheel "spokes"

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?!??!
You are missing mid glide yokes LOL.
That's the problem with XR calipers, Sometimes they work with stock mag wheels but they are awfully close. Go with mid glide yokes and that will solve the problem properly but you will have to machine some spacers for caliper.
Not too big of a deal. Or search for different caliper like Harrison Billet 6 pot or PM 6 pot that is dedicated to your year model, this way you won't have to change your master cylinder and yokes. XR caliper will need 1/2" master cylinder to work properly anyway.

Good luck!
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_rots View Post
You are missing mid glide yokes LOL.
That's the problem with XR calipers, Sometimes they work with stock mag wheels but they are awfully close. Go with mid glide yokes and that will solve the problem properly but you will have to machine some spacers for caliper.
Not too big of a deal. Or search for different caliper like Harrison Billet 6 pot or PM 6 pot that is dedicated to your year model, this way you won't have to change your master cylinder and yokes. XR caliper will need 1/2" master cylinder to work properly anyway.

Good luck!
Oh man, sometimes they work and sometimes they dont? What kind of clearances/tolerances does Harley have to make such large variances?

still banging my head against the wall on this one haha. Ill see what other parts/spacers I have.

RIIIIIDIIIICCCCUUUULLLLLOOUUUSSSS
Old 1 Week Ago
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh man, sometimes they work and sometimes they dont? What kind of clearances/tolerances does Harley have to make such large variances?
It’s not about tolerances, it’s about what wheel you have. After all we’re talking about taking the caliper from one bike and putting it on a totally different bike that it isn’t intended for.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 1 Week Ago
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 88" softail frame
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB1250 Uly XT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Randy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of lightRandy_rots is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

still banging my head against the wall on this one haha. Ill see what other parts/spacers I have.

RIIIIIDIIIICCCCUUUULLLLLOOUUUSSSS
XR1200 has sort of mid glide yokes so they have plenty of clearance.
With narrow yokes it seems that they work with 2000& up mag wheels for some reason. I don't know if the fact they use ball wheel bearings and different spacers has something to do with it or just the 2000& up mag wheel spokes are slightly thinner. Either way as I said, even when they clear, they are still awfully close to the wheel.
Harrison billet 6 pot or PM is the easiest way to go in this case.

Regards
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Multihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant futureMultihdrdr has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_rots View Post
With narrow yokes it seems that they work with 2000& up mag wheels for some reason. I don't know if the fact they use ball wheel bearings and different spacers has something to do with it or just the 2000& up mag wheel spokes are slightly thinner...
2000-later Narrowglide Front "Mag" wheels have a slightly wider Hub than 99-earlier