The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Active Threads
0 Riding Around Smoky Yellowstone National Park in 2021
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 3
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,133
Views: 359,185
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24,676
Views: 1,454,811
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32,167
Views: 3,741,712
0 easy rider homage peter fonda ironhead
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 917
0 Carb ???
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 219
Views: 48,880
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 52,019
Views: 8,755,690
0 Finally some nice weather in the northeast!
Last Post: mick42
Replies: 59
Views: 7,037
0 Case bolts and cyl base bolt torque
Last Post: andy2175m4
Replies: 16
Views: 301
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 50
Views: 1,669
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Replies: 2,420
Views: 257,867
0 2021 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 133
Views: 14,026
0 Mainshaft Oil Seal Leak
Replies: 31
Views: 8,552
0 Indicators not flashing
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 62
0 It's Glamazon's Birthday!
Last Post: Veeflys
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 102
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,267
Views: 379,529
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,406
Views: 385,246
0 First start question
Last Post: 72HOGXLCH
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 2,065
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: andy2175m4
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 933
0 HSR idle mixture screw
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 198
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,550
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,739
Views: 914,895
0 XR 750 steering head bearings
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 64
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Edster
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 2,107
Views: 464,299
5 How do I increase sag ?
Replies: 71
Views: 3,998
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 156
Views: 62,727
0 Track Bike Build
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 3
Views: 196
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 99
Views: 5,771
0 Pushrod hitting tube
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 21
Views: 1,216
0 need help with 68 XLH
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 17
Views: 1,118
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
perfomance, tires

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xl1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 95
Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

I know. The Dunlops just work for me. And, it's OK if they don't for someone else. I would hope the op understands that too.

In Search of Fuel, Sunshine and a Steady Idle.

Reference the XLFORUM'S Sportsterpedia
for additional technical information & advice
Old 12th January 2015
Chief Master Mechanic

Dirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to beholdDirt Hill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
I know. The Dunlops just work for me. And, it's OK if they don't for someone else. I would hope the op understands that too.
I meant the orig post, not your reply. My guess would be that 99% of people on this forum have run no-more than 3 or 4 different brands of tires. It's just not in human nature to buy a different brand of tire every time you change rubber. A motorcycle magazine "tire shoot out" would probably more useful for narrowing down what you want out of a tire. My 2 cents; I love riding twisty roads fast, and I prefer Avon and Metzler.
Old 12th January 2015
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

F.W.I.W. "Sprink" on our forum has been running the Dunlop Elite "Americans" this year with very good results, these are not your O.E.M. tires. I had great success, like John mentioned earlier, with the Avon Venoms unfortunately they no longer make them in appropriate sizes for the rigids or rubbermounts. I tried an Avon Cobra on the rear of my '06"R" and felt it was good, not up to the standards set by the Venoms, stuck well but less than Venoms, held good in the rain but on the track they skipped on surface patches unlike the Venoms. I currently run Commander II's front and rear on the '06 and am not happy with them. will probably get very good mileage out of them but have had issues with loss of traction,( without much or any warning), compared to the Avons. I'll probably look at the "Americans and maybe the Pirellis Sport Demons. May also try Avon Road Riders but they come up short on mileage. Also, it's fair to note that all of my previous bikes, (50 years worth) ran O.E.M. tires. When they needed replacements I got new bikes so all my earlier experience from the 60's till 2001 were on stock tires. When my "Indie" convinced me to switch to the Avons I was dumbstruck at the difference they made, quite a revelation. Ran them exclusively for 12 years on two Sporty's to the tune of over 200,000 miles. They spoiled me and I miss them. Many on here have run Metzlers with good results, the only problems that I was made aware of with them is issues arose from the ones made in South America while the German ones were good all the way.
I.B.A.#26543,

Dads words of wisdom:”behave and if you can’t behave don’t get caught!”

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start

Last edited by sportsterpaul; 12th January 2015 at 14:28..
Old 12th January 2015
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippysmack View Post
It's Cool.
Ok, What tire does get great reviews for grabbing hard in wet and/ or turns and are better than Dunlops? I have ran thru Pirelli in 6 months while sliding thru turns.
Maybe you have too much air pressure which reduces contact patch. I ride in the rain maybe once every 2 or 3 years, so I cannot give any wet weather reports.
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. See "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index. It's official, I am now in the "I've forgotten more than I remember club."
Old 12th January 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Hippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond reputeHippysmack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
Maybe you have too much air pressure which reduces contact patch. I ride in the rain maybe once every 2 or 3 years, so I cannot give any wet weather reports.
Now I may not know the best cams or carbs or racing equipment but I do have a relationship with my tires. I check air pressure a lot. I was asked on another post how I knew my tire was going flat. That is because I feel the road thru the tires. If it don't feel right, I pull over and check things out. I gotta admit, I love curves. I read the on and off ramps just to judge just the right time to throttle up....I have no life I know. I am usually between 65-75 by the time I would be considered on the interstate. With my new fork brace, I thought I was gonna be on top of the gas station across the street while enjoying the off ramp the other day. I need some twisties to get it out of my system....Anyway, I ride comfortably most of the time. 'just have my moments when I'm glad to have the traction to slam the curves. I have used Pirelli, Kenda, Michelin, Firestone and settled with Dunlop since it was the only one that I didn't slip for no reason on. The Kenda was the worst tire I ever owned and I will never have another. Again, I'm not trying to break the quarter mile record, just trying to make it down the road in all weather conditions. I ride slower in rain and respect a wet road but sometimes things get confusing for cars and they don't know what to do if the Rain God is unhappy and I have had some serious 'oh pooky' moments on the Dunlops and I'm still using em.
Old 12th January 2015
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I have wanted to try the Commander II but won't now because of all the reports of slippage which is what I am trying to prevent. I am 50 years old and not as nimble as I used to be. The Pirelli's slipped on road stripes just down from where I work. I lean into it leaving intersections since I found that some people like to go..Hey, is that a motorcycle? and they forget to look at the light about to change so they speed to the int. where I am. The Dunlops have never failed me there either. I have put it to the test as best as my little brain works and have stuck with them.
Old 12th January 2015
Reformed Savant

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: XL CE Tribute
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
brianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond reputebrianbbs67 has a reputation beyond repute

I worried about the stock Dunlops, but 8000 miles later, I have found them to be good. Not great, but good. And they throw water quite well. 401s. Pirellis have always been great dry road tires, Yokohomas. Neither do well in the rain.
Old 12th January 2015
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
T-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant futureT-reXL1200 has a brilliant future

avon cobras were a huge improvement over dunlops. especially in the rain.