The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 36mm Bendix too small?
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 37
0 36 mm zenith bendix
Last Post: randy3934
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 1,113
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 154
Views: 16,756
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2,401
Views: 312,022
0 Happy Birthday Iron Mick!!!
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 58
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: mickey t
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 64
Views: 1,617
0 Fitment between 2005 & 2006
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 44
0 Hello!!!
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 59
0 Need help with S&S GB carb
Last Post: Monte03
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,222
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4,292
Views: 511,704
0 Single women, how old are you?
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 77
Views: 10,677
0 Fubar (Rear Cylinder Not Firing)
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 9
Views: 288
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,360
Views: 196,611
0 Wrong Speedometer or Speedo Drive?
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,145
0 CV carb rubber bung
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 15
Views: 292
0 Speedometer Wire
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 4
Views: 192
0 74 XLH disk brake lower anchor pin
Replies: 8
Views: 120
0 extra side lamps
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 4
Views: 90
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 13,813
Views: 1,276,393
0 Zenith Bendix check valve
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 306
0 Grounded
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 161
Views: 7,294
0 What did you do to your EFI Sporty today?
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 3,936
Views: 754,664
0 Seeley Ironhead race bike
Replies: 20
Views: 1,086
0 Vote for Most Sought After Sportster
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 329
Views: 73,089
0 Andrews PB+
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,735
0 Headlight burning Out (Voltage regulator?)
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 10
Views: 286
0 Speedometer issue
Replies: 2
Views: 155
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,346
Views: 815,478
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 7,761
Views: 1,548,396
0 1996 Sportster 1200 ignition/ idle/ warm up/ lost cylinder???
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 1
Views: 49
More...
Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (77), painter (70), motobob883 (67), rickxx (65), MRCLEEN (47), Wetcheez (46), hello_shoes (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
shgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy3934 View Post
put it back together, check end play on main and countershaft, see how much in and out movement there is on shift shaft, common for the case to wear allowing the ball to slip from the pocket, fixed with a simple washer the right thickness, the ears are on the main thrust washers to keep from spinning against the case, don't need wear there.
Yeah, Randy, my end play on the mainshaft is good (can't pull the oil cap off the countershaft, so I'm just gonna assume for now it's good).

Yeah, the ball popped out of the cup, so I put the proper shim in there (ground down one side so it fit up against the case boss to keep it from spinning), and now the shifter is nice and tight (not too tight - maybe 2-3thou end play). It had been about 40-50 thou before that.

Gonna go take her for short testride.

Still curious about the tab on the mainshaft thrust washer - why it be there?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

shgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the roughshgrier is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
You mention the gear dogs look pristine with a pic of the trans together, did you remove the gears to inspect the dogs and pockets? I don’t think that that is where your problem really is anyway, just thought I’d check. I think your poor shifting to 3/4 is going to be in either amount of shift shaft rotation or gear spacing or a combination of the two. How much clearance is there between the slot and fork where the shift fork rides? It should be fairly close/tight. You should read dr dicks shifter blueprinting thread.
I didn't take it apart - I was still worried about being able to put it back together, then back in the bike successfully. This winter, I'm going to pull it again, go through Dr. Dick's thread, and reshim everything to nominal (as necessary). Then I'm gonna ride the PISS out of it!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

The tang is there to keep the shim from spinning and slinging oil away from the main shaft bearings.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1000
shooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to beholdshooterj2003 is a splendid one to behold

That rocket is part of my specialty tools drawer,but you can get foam shapes at craft stores but you worked it out well!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

I recall that at some point in IronHead development the tab on that mainshaft thrust washer was discontinued. I am guessing that it was late 1984 as there is a change of part number then.

I think this means that the tab is not needed.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Did the main shaft bearing change at the same time too?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shgrier View Post
...Gonna go take her for short testride....
Took her for a 20 mile RT ride last night - the shifter was a bit tight initially (the forward controls peddle returning to its normal position was a bit slow), but by the end of the ride, it was just fine. I'd say my first trek into the spinney-gears thing turned out OK! No leaks, no nasty noises, no abnormal performance...
Old 4 Weeks Ago

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Order up a pair of 20 tooth gears from Andrews and replace them exploding gears ASAP!

Knock on wood and tip your guardian angel heavily until then.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
iNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond reputeiNSaNeSHaNe has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!!
Yea. What Rick said ..
Look at my blown up case in my thread WTF Happened if you have any doubts on what happens... " KABOOM "

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2019...22b36ec11f.jpg
Old 4 Weeks Ago

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Ouchie!!!!