The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Active Threads
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,315
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,701
Views: 823,028
0 Ride Report w/ 100's of Photos & Video - 8 States, 2 Countries & 2 Big Surprises
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 1,071
0 worth it to do more than stage 1
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 170
0 Fat Ironhead?
Last Post: Northmotor
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 539
0 I'm baaaack LOL
Last Post: ADK XL
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 113
0 Why I don't have a HID Headlight Poll
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 146
Views: 38,644
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 603
0 Free beer (TSM Or TSSM?)
Last Post: Folkie
Views: 153
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 6,526
Views: 863,108
0 Engine Tune
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 19
Views: 424
0 Curtis Zeus
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 2
Views: 48
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: norseXL
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 373
Views: 48,880
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,736
Views: 7,237,411
0 Cafe build
Last Post: Fatylonghous
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 7,409
0 IH rearsets and giant stud
Last Post: Fatylonghous
Replies: 29
Views: 2,042
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 15,444
Views: 1,490,798
0 Plastic Printing - A R&D Short-Cut
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 404
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: Bryan1976
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 158
Views: 11,639
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 261
Views: 69,292
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 299
Views: 83,744
0 More oil return questions
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 5
Views: 297
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 2,664
Views: 364,439
0 Leineweber camshaft
Last Post: cazz1000
Replies: 37
Views: 1,307
0 2017 XLC alarm question
Last Post: Frogge
Views: 73
0 New member softail rim laced to sportster hub
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 278
0 buckhorn bars
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Views: 139
0 Keep the V&H head pipes or go stock?
Last Post: Bob F
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 205
0 ***DK Custom Products- Gift Cards- Give Them What They Want***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 1,093
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 585
Views: 176,939
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
scottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of lightscottybaccus is a glorious beacon of light
Default RSD Rear-Sets for '04-'13 Sportsters

I just installed the RSD Black-Ops rear-sets on my '06 XL. The following is the product review that I left on Revzilla. I hope y'all find it helpful. I'm happy to answer questions.

"First, kudos to Revzilla for their usual quick shipping and spot on delivery.
Now, allow me to give a play by play, from opening the box, to riding impressions.

The shipping overpack was very good (thx Revzilla!)
The package from RSD is gorgeous! Shame to trash it...
The parts were shrink wrapped to corrugated pasteboard cards, and loosely dropped into the larger package. My instincts say it could have used a little more padding to protect the goods on a really bad trip, but nothing was damaged, so perhaps I was expecting the worst.
I scanned through the instructions before opening all the packages and laying the parts out in the same groups they were wrapped in. The instructions were three pages of color pics and a few black & white line drawings.
First impressions? Nice parts!
After deciding what I needed to remove, which is only vaguely mentioned in the instructions, I started to dismantle my bike. It was a necessity to pull the exhaust in order to remove the mid-controls. Honestly, it was just nice that it was out of the way.
Next, the instructions advise that a longer rear brake hose will be required. That's it. No details, no specs, no other information at all. Most of you are going to stop dead at this point and wonder what, and where to get a new brake hose. Just a hint, the OE hose is a specially formed hardline, with a port for your rear brake light switch. You can't just grab a longer replacement. You'll probably wind up with an aftermarket hose in the vicinity of 18" long. If you want to keep a rear brake switch, it will be easiest to use a banjo bolt brake switch. NONE of this is addressed in the instructions. Zero. Zip. Nadda.
I was prepared, just barely, so I commenced assembly according to the instructions. It isn't too hard to figure out what goes where, but there are small parts in the package, never mentioned in the instructions. The pretty color photos? well, they are about the size of a postage stamp, so...
That's the one BIG criticism I have for RSD. For all the money they spent on the over pack, printed in color with all the usual logo frenzy, I would have preferred a white box with truly detailed instructions, including legible photos.
After assembly, the nightmare of bleeding the rear brake will check your reality. This is another place where a novice will freeze up. The mounting position of the master cylinder makes traditional bleeding of air difficult. I used a pressure bleeder to push fluid from the caliper, up to the reservoir. Even then, it took a few strokes of the pedal in the old way to get a firm pedal.
Riding impressions: After reinstalling the pipe, and making sure the brake wouldn't touch down, I adjusted the brake and shift lever to a wild guess starting point. The first time I put my feet up, I knew both needed to go up a bit. This is easy with the shifter. Loosen the jamb nuts on the linkage, adjust it a half turn or so, and tighten the jamb nuts. The brake lever was a different story. I found the threaded push-rod on the master cylinder was just a tad short of what I wanted. I'm kinda stuck with what I got. No room to go down, no range to go up.
When I hit the road, it took some getting used to. Muscle memory is a devil. It takes a while to stop putting your foot in the wrong place. One you get that sorted out, and maybe make a few more minor tweaks to the height of the levers, you are good to go.
The rear-sets are comfortable, and well made. They work as expected. I anticipated a lot of vibration through the pegs, but it never appeared.
I would suggest that the pegs are about an inch too short, but that may be something I get used to. I feel like my foot is rolling to the outside occasionally.
All in all, I would recommend this product to others, but with caution about the unknowns surrounding the rear brake hose (why does RSD not sell a ready made solution?), and warning about the limited use of the quite poorly prepared instructions. (Just a suggestion, field test with your target buyers) These two points could have earned 5 stars...
Again, Kudos to Revzilla. Mediocre thumbs up to RSD."
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know a two year old thread but wondered how you were getting along with them after getting some miles on them. Had considered going to a set as I hate having my legs splayed out in the wind with the stock set up. After thinking it through I passed for now only because when putting in long miles I find it comforting to switch back and forth from mid-peg to passenger peg and back. But maybe will go with them on one of the rubbermounts.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Chief of Security

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

You must have good knees. Mine are shot from too many tile jobs and walking too many steep ass roofs. Having them bent like that for even 5 minutes I'd fall on my ass trying to stand up again it hurts trying to straighten them. I could never understand how these could be comfortable for us old folks. Even mids are bad. I wish my forwards were more forward to stretch them out more actually. My C&C seat helped tho. Sits me back further and good lower back support.
HSR42 25 pilot 2 turns Y8 needle jet 97 needle 2nd groove 170 main
Dragtron II AC K&N filter/VR1 20W50/Spectro 85wt Primary Oil
Max torque 87.7@4400rpm/max hp 86.8@5600rpm

Last edited by 60Gunner; 3 Weeks Ago at 16:40..