The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Getting Hammered
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,315
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,701
Views: 823,028
0 Ride Report w/ 100's of Photos & Video - 8 States, 2 Countries & 2 Big Surprises
Last Post: SLW210
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 1,071
0 worth it to do more than stage 1
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 170
0 Fat Ironhead?
Last Post: Northmotor
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 539
0 I'm baaaack LOL
Last Post: ADK XL
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 113
0 Why I don't have a HID Headlight Poll
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 146
Views: 38,644
0 Highest mileage EVO you'd buy.
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 603
0 Free beer (TSM Or TSSM?)
Last Post: Folkie
Views: 153
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 6,526
Views: 863,108
0 Engine Tune
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 19
Views: 424
0 Curtis Zeus
Last Post: Nibelungen
Replies: 2
Views: 48
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: norseXL
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 373
Views: 48,880
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,736
Views: 7,237,411
0 Cafe build
Last Post: Fatylonghous
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 7,409
0 IH rearsets and giant stud
Last Post: Fatylonghous
Replies: 29
Views: 2,042
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 15,444
Views: 1,490,798
0 Plastic Printing - A R&D Short-Cut
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 404
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: Bryan1976
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 158
Views: 11,639
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 261
Views: 69,292
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 299
Views: 83,744
0 More oil return questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 297
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 2,664
Views: 364,439
0 Leineweber camshaft
Last Post: cazz1000
Replies: 37
Views: 1,307
0 2017 XLC alarm question
Last Post: Frogge
Views: 73
0 New member softail rim laced to sportster hub
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 278
0 buckhorn bars
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Views: 139
0 Keep the V&H head pipes or go stock?
Last Post: Bob F
Posted On: 17 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 205
0 ***DK Custom Products- Gift Cards- Give Them What They Want***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 1,093
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 585
Views: 176,939
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
lowering shocks

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Goldwing
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Gulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Don’t know if your twilight harness runs up inside the fender like later EVO rigidly, but the rear tires were able to hit the harness on large bumps causing sorts, something to look at.
Yes! I checked out the wire run under the fender, and there is definitely a suspicious looking part of the wiring that looks damaged, right where you would expect to find it, so good call! I just got the new shocks in, so it is a good time to pull the wheel and look at that wiring, too. Thanks!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant futureezmerf has a brilliant future

My old 74 XLR with stock fender and 2 up I could count on her rubbing signal and taillight wires would be stripped.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Gulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to beholdGulf Coaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Shocking the Ironhhead

I got the new shocks yesterday, fully expecting them not to fit. I wasn't disappointed! The Harley shop got them in quickly, but when I got them home, I discovered the fatal difference between the Sporty shocks and the Dyna shocks. Apparently, the lower mounting bracket on the Dyna is about 3/8" wider than the one on the Sportster, meaning the mounting bushing sleeve is that much wider that the one on the Sportster shock, making the Sportster mount too narrow. Both shocks had 1" thick lower mount eyes, so I just ground the sleeves down flush and, "Bob's yer uncle", the shocks went right on.

The fender is going to be resized and moved, so I think it will be fine, eventually.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
kobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the roughkobra50 is a jewel in the rough

If shocks have clevis type mount on the swing arm you have to make sure the bushing on the bottom of the shock will fit in the clevis. Later model swingarms don't have the clevis.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterpaul View Post
Don’t know if your light harness runs up inside the fender like later EVO rigids but the rear tires were able to hit the harness on large bumps causing sorts, something to look at.
So, I finally removed the rear wheel to get at the inside of the fender and found wiring run up both sides. There was one turn signal wire with damaged insulation, but the wire was still in tact. The tail light issue turned out to be a bad ground. The tail light works now, but neither brake makes the brake light work. Brake light wire is good from the light fixture to the first connector, behind the battery. The front brake lever is pretty wonky, (pulls, but doesn't return all the way) and the whole thing is rather corroded. I rather suspect my issues lie there. Oddly, my shop manual doesn't seem to address either brake switch. I'm hoping I can repair the hand brake. Not sure where I would find a replacement for the whole thing. More discovery learning at hand!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Asgardian

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Chris Craft 32
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be afraid to use a link with a proper spring rate and dampening. Just an inch back on the swing arm changes the vector immensely .
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Biker

I have run all the wires, cleaned and tightened, and so forth and everything seems fine, but the turn signal problem persists. It really seems to be a ground issue, supported by all the crud in the handlebar switch housings. Maybe I'll be able to clean my way out of it. The other issue is the front master cylinder is shot and the piston won't return out of the housing. This makes my brake lever flop around and keeps it from engaging the brake switch, which means it is on all the time. The brake filament in the bulb burnt out, as a result. Hopefully the rebuild kit from DK is the right size. There are several possibilities, but they say the 3/4" is the right size. Happy to hear from anyone who knows for sure!
Sponsored Links