The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,917
Views: 1,617,103
12 POLL: How many times have you dropped a motorcycle?
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 685
Views: 120,908
0 It's stalkie's Birthday!
Last Post: priell3
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 70
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,244
Views: 855,775
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 2,056
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 442
Views: 112,110
0 One sooty spark plug and one completely clean
Last Post: Jonv
Replies: 16
Views: 438
0 big bore kit
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 10
Views: 127
0 520 conversion for ironheads
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 835
0 ARCH motorcycles and more
Last Post: RDHenley
Replies: 10
Views: 409
0 Un-lowering my Super Low
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 3
Views: 160
0 Your Motorcycle Workspace/Garage
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 18
Views: 597
0 Ironhead Oil Pump Gurus, come inside.
Replies: 62
Views: 5,479
0 A Day in the Life...
Replies: 680
Views: 84,677
0 Trans/Year Interchangeability Question
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 148
Views: 4,623
0 Indian FTR Sales
Last Post: XL Ed
Replies: 4
Views: 163
0 Hack or trike?
Views: 474
0 Friction modifiers in gasoline
Replies: 37
Views: 2,721
0 signature pic
Last Post: stikflote
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 152
0 What engine oil do you use?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 471
Views: 97,176
4 Another Bogan from the South Seas
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 196
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 243,659
0 '59 XLH - Speedo cable route
Last Post: Guidorey
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,970
Views: 941,733
7 Oldest Motorcycle You've Owned
Last Post: waiteitei
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 92
Views: 6,011
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,767
Views: 240,153
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,748
Views: 1,823,900
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 16,220
Views: 1,578,802
0 Cracked motor mount
Last Post: jsandidge
Replies: 57
Views: 4,694
0 2002 sportster 1200 points conversion
Last Post: Billy1200
Replies: 13
Views: 478
More...
Members Birthdays
buddy (66), paulrainer (66), Pedrochellie, needweknow, BunnMan (48), SolariS (43), Doc69 (39), ftptptt1234 (39), dumbmxer84 (36), nhutch40 (28), XLButler (21), Ztomasc (21)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Edgeydt50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crankcase breather and heavy breather

So I took off a hypercharger off my 06
Replaced it with a heavy breather but can't fit the crankcase breather. The bolts just breath into the carb. Is this OK? What is the best route?
Thanks in advance
Old 4th November 2017
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
T^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeydt50 View Post
So I took off a hypercharger off my 06
Replaced it with a heavy breather but can't fit the crankcase breather. The bolts just breath into the carb. Is this OK? What is the best route?
Thanks in advance
The Heavy Breather is designed to route the crankcase venting into the intake - just like the stock/OEM setup does. If you do some search/reading you'll find that opinions vary on the subject of routing the venting to the intake. I don't think anybody argues that it's not ideal. The argument is - does it do any real harm? If you go over to DK's website - that I mention below - you'll find pictures of the carbon buildup on top of the pistons caused by venting to the intake.

In my opinion, you don't want a hot mist of both oil and water making it's way into the intake. It's better to vent to atmosphere - for various reasons.

I believe I've seen a thread on here or over at HDforums.com where they were talking about modifying a Heavy Breather to vent to atmosphere. You may be able to find it via search.

On the other hand, DK and K&N have similar breathers that are already setup for this - or can easily be setup for this. For the DK breather, head over to http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ and look for the Outlaw HiFlow 636V. They'll also have what you need there for the external breather venting.

Here is a picture of it on my bike...

I've also added a Kranvent inline to deal with potential failing umbrella valves.

The K&N intake you would be looking for is the K&N 63-1126 I believe. It has a port on the side of the intake tube that connects to a horse shoe breather via a small rubber hose. The point of that is so they can vent to the intake just like a stock/OEM setup. You could skip that, cap off the port and use an external breather setup like you can get at DK.
Old 4th November 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Edgeydt50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for this, very helpful.
I found the guide on HD forums and i think i'll have a go at drilling the bracket and fitting some the breather hoses. Thanks again
Old 4th November 2017
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
juzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably talking about head breathers. As far as I know the crankcase breather is routed to the oil tank. At least on my 86er is so..?
Old 5th November 2017
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
T^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to beholdT^2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzyHD View Post
You are probably talking about head breathers. As far as I know the crankcase breather is routed to the oil tank. At least on my 86er is so..?
No... That makes sure the oil tank is at the same pressure...

The overall system/crankcase venting is via the breather bolts in the head. The crankcase vents up the push rod tubes into the head and out the breather bolts.
Old 5th November 2017
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
juzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond reputejuzyHD has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. My bad. Totally different sistem than older bikes.
Old 5th November 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

there is an equalizing line between bag and c/c so they run the same pressure, if not, under certain conditions, could impede oil flow.
yep, he says the hd system is an engine killer, see no stats on it though. truth told, that build up can come from a variety of places. by the time the c/c vent is supplying that much oil, there are MORE serious issues that need addressing and band-aiding by dropping to atmosphere while an option, big brother does not like it. forest gump said it all: "stupid is what stupid does" as the majority of riders over-look stuff till it becomes an issue, try getting an inspection in cali with oil dripping on the ground.
if you are getting that much, before it gets to that point, there will be intake track varnish way before.
seen industrial engines running decades 24/7 belting out 1000's+ hp and yep when they get old, they will coat the intake track but still trudge on.
carbon on the top of a piston although concerning to some, is not a big issue, but when you see cyl walls with varnish, then you have serious issues.

http://media.noria.com/sites/archive...stat-fig10.jpg
Old 17th November 2017
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
glbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud of

My homemade EBS (external breathing system) for a stock HD A/C.

Old 17th November 2017
Optimist with experience

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 07
r4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond reputer4fthrs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbsportster View Post
My homemade EBS (external breathing system) for a stock HD A/C.

So I take it that you don't use an element, just open to the air?
Sponsored Links
Old 17th November 2017
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
glbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud ofglbsportster has much to be proud of

I am assuming element means a catch can or filter...I have a filter under the engine, after over 3 hours of riding....no oil in the filter, yet. I check it after every ride. Yes, the filter is open to the air.