The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 ....1
Last Post: toe
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,288
Views: 382,896
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 25,654
Views: 1,501,942
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 2,969
0 Snippets
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 537
Views: 74,997
0 The Strociek Project
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 74
Views: 5,175
0 Looking for community help/steering/front end issues
Last Post: tkvalentine
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 203
0 Crankcase drain
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1
Views: 58
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 31
Views: 1,588
0 71 XLH Value?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 61
Views: 2,406
5 Thunderstorm pistons in xl??
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 135
0 sportster revival
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 456
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Fivecats
Replies: 52,579
Views: 8,876,164
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: 73HEAD
Replies: 82
Views: 5,725
0 Trouble removing old license plate
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 575
0 Posting Pics
Last Post: BigAl57
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 6,502
7 2001 xlh 1200 off road
Last Post: Warlock
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,159
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,826
Views: 962,782
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 1,636
0 Hello From Brighton, England
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 158
9 Very long pullback handlebars required
Last Post: Elzer0
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,387
0 Japanese Cush Drive!!
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 17,551
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 33,159
Views: 3,917,036
0 video & pics
Replies: 598
Views: 64,261
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,094
Views: 2,134,175
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,619
Views: 2,996,712
0 Electrical Harness Replacemet vs. Self Rewire
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 8,243
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 303
Views: 58,844
0 Canadian Purchases
Last Post: XL Ed
Replies: 22
Views: 4,027
0 best set up for ease of kick starting
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 4
Views: 421
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same boat health wise. I hope to make it two more years, but we'll have to see. I have a Japanese bike also, and its a different riding experience. The Harley is less re-fined and more of a 'visceral' experience. I enjoy them both. The Harley will stay. I ain't interested in the new sportster S. I have watched youtube videos of it and I prefer to stay with what I've got: under-square bore and the resulting torque. Remember when the Harley ads used to say 'let me introduce you to torque'?
Old 21st August 2021
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Seventy-Two
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
psycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura aboutpsycho69 has a spectacular aura about

It seems that all the people complaining about HD making something new are the same people that have absolutely no interest in buying another motorcycle, regardless of its model or age. Newer models aren’t marketed towards a demographic that stopped buying bikes ten years ago.

I love my Sporty, but I am absolutely looking forward to newer, more advanced models. All of the Harley “loyalists” and “real customers” refuse to even give newer models a chance, and refuse to see what improvements and adjustments will be made over the next few years.

Harley is dying because it is a slave to people like that, constantly bitching about change while simultaneously avoiding purchase of ANY bike beyond the one they’ve owned for a decade.

Bitching about emissions regulations, industry shifts towards renewables, and government mandates makes you all a bunch of whiners. You sound like the same retards that stormed the Capital in the name of freedom.

Evolve or die. Adapt to the new or get left behind. Even if Harley made the exact bike you were asking for none of you would buy it. It would just be a new excuse to avoid it.

It’s time for Harley’s old “loyal” fan base to just die off already, since they haven’t been supporting the company anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With so many objects constantly flying around through the air you have to conclude that eventually one will come in contact with your balls.
Old 22nd August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
perfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond reputeperfesser has a reputation beyond repute

harley will die because in their hubris they refuse to sell a bike for less than $15000. the median price to 'join the family' is over $20000 if one looks at all models for sale. harley sells to old people because old people have money. the leadership of the moco intend to target harley-davidson as a 'boutique' brand, like lamborghini and ferrari. the marketing plan is selling fewer, higher priced motorcycles to an eager to purchase public. this is a flawed premise. there might be ten people on this planet who consider harley-davidson a manufacturer of premier motorcycles, like ducati or aprilia or even bmw. harley is what it is, a producer of generally useful, functional motorcycles with a romantic past. unfortunately, there are a lot of bikes that are just like the sportster 's' that sell for $15000, but there is NO other bike sold by ANY manufacturer that is like the sportster.

the moco has manufactured prototypes of upgraded and usefully improved sportsters over the years, and each time decided the cost of production was not worthwhile since the machine it would replace already sold every unit manufactured. this was not the consumer's decision not to buy it, it was the moco's not to sell it.

i must reject your premise that the members of this forum who reject this inferior in functionality, overly expensive replacement are retrograde whiners or retards. rather, each generation of sportster purchaser have generally embraced improvements to the basic machine, such as the evolution engine in place of the ironhead, the improved five speed transmission that replaced the four, the improved charging system, the clean and quiet belt drive, the improved comfort afforded by rubber mounting the engine, the increased horsepower from fuel injection, etc.

the moco turned their back on the 'new to the brand' purchaser when they chose to end production of their best selling model worldwide, the street 750. americans hated it. the world loved it, especially the world of purchasers who don't have $15000 to drop on an expensive toy.

the criticisms of the sportster 's' are valid. how many months before the first lawsuit for leg burns to a rider in a los angeles traffic jam? the execrable riding position, the poor range, the lack of fenders, the clownish tires; these are observable facts a person may consider before they purchase this machine. i expect many will and decide to purchase something else.

the biggest problem with this model isn't even the shortcomings of the design of this replacement model; it's the very strong likelihood that even if the moco could sell 36000 units a year to replace the revenue 60000 sportster and streets brought to the company, the purchaser of the sportster 's' is most likely a person who would have purchased a fatboy, a springer or an fl. * the moco will merely sell one big twin instead of another big twin. there is no increase in overall revenue from the sale, and eventual failure of the company is the result.

this discussion has become tedious and saddening. this is my last post on this topic. going out to the garage and spin a wrench on my sportster.

*but not an fxr, the dyna is cancelled too.

Last edited by perfesser; 22nd August 2021 at 00:44.. Reason: misspelling
Old 22nd August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
JunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to behold

I just bought a really nice 2003 Sportster 1200 to go with my 2006. I now have to sell one of my other bikes to make room for it. It was a tough choice to make, but the fact is that my 2006 Sportster is the most enjoyable bike I've owned out of around 50, and I had to make sure I always have a Sportster. I made a huge mistake selling my 1966 Triumph Bonneville back in the mid '80s. Now a bike comparable to it costs around $15K. I will not make that mistake with the Sportster. I have had a lot of bikes similar to the "new" Sportster, only real difference was they didn't say Harley Davidson on them. H-D no longer makes anything I want, so there is no chance of me ever buying anything new from them. H-D has never been a great company, they have been scamming customers for decades. But at least they used to make some great bikes. Not anymore.

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride. Hunter S Thompson
Old 22nd August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: PanAmerica
Sportster/Buell Year: 2021
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph, BSA,more Sportys
Akdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant futureAkdawg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfesser View Post
harley will die because in their hubris they refuse to sell a bike for less than $15000. the median price to 'join the family' is over $20000 if one looks at all models for sale. harley sells to old people because old people have money. the leadership of the moco intend to target harley-davidson as a 'boutique' brand, like lamborghini and ferrari. the marketing plan is selling fewer, higher priced motorcycles to an eager to purchase public. this is a flawed premise. there might be ten people on this planet who consider harley-davidson a manufacturer of premier motorcycles, like ducati or aprilia or even bmw. harley is what it is, a producer of generally useful, functional motorcycles with a romantic past. unfortunately, there are a lot of bikes that are just like the sportster 's' that sell for $15000, but there is NO other bike sold by ANY manufacturer that is like the sportster.

the moco has manufactured prototypes of upgraded and usefully improved sportsters over the years, and each time decided the cost of production was not worthwhile since the machine it would replace already sold every unit manufactured. this was not the consumer's decision not to buy it, it was the moco's not to sell it.

i must reject your premise that the members of this forum who reject this inferior in functionality, overly expensive replacement are retrograde whiners or retards. rather, each generation of sportster purchaser have generally embraced improvements to the basic machine, such as the evolution engine in place of the ironhead, the improved five speed transmission that replaced the four, the improved charging system, the clean and quiet belt drive, the improved comfort afforded by rubber mounting the engine, the increased horsepower from fuel injection, etc.

the moco turned their back on the 'new to the brand' purchaser when they chose to end production of their best selling model worldwide, the street 750. americans hated it. the world loved it, especially the world of purchasers who don't have $15000 to drop on an expensive toy.

the criticisms of the sportster 's' are valid. how many months before the first lawsuit for leg burns to a rider in a los angeles traffic jam? the execrable riding position, the poor range, the lack of fenders, the clownish tires; these are observable facts a person may consider before they purchase this machine. i expect many will and decide to purchase something else.

the biggest problem with this model isn't even the shortcomings of the design of this replacement model; it's the very strong likelihood that even if the moco could sell 36000 units a year to replace the revenue 60000 sportster and streets brought to the company, the purchaser of the sportster 's' is most likely a person who would have purchased a fatboy, a springer or an fl. * the moco will merely sell one big twin instead of another big twin. there is no increase in overall revenue from the sale, and eventual failure of the company is the result.

this discussion has become tedious and saddening. this is my last post on this topic. going out to the garage and spin a wrench on my sportster.

*but not an fxr, the dyna is cancelled too.
AMEN Brother!
Old 22nd August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Perfesser.
Old 22nd August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho69 View Post
It seems that all the people complaining about HD making something new are the same people that have absolutely no interest in buying another motorcycle, regardless of its model or age. Newer models aren’t marketed towards a demographic that stopped buying bikes ten years ago.

I love my Sporty, but I am absolutely looking forward to newer, more advanced models. All of the Harley “loyalists” and “real customers” refuse to even give newer models a chance, and refuse to see what improvements and adjustments will be made over the next few years.

Harley is dying because it is a slave to people like that, constantly bitching about change while simultaneously avoiding purchase of ANY bike beyond the one they’ve owned for a decade.

Bitching about emissions regulations, industry shifts towards renewables, and government mandates makes you all a bunch of whiners. You sound like the same retards that stormed the Capital in the name of freedom.

Evolve or die. Adapt to the new or get left behind. Even if Harley made the exact bike you were asking for none of you would buy it. It would just be a new excuse to avoid it.

It’s time for Harley’s old “loyal” fan base to just die off already, since they haven’t been supporting the company anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your diatribe showed your colors. Let us know when you purchase your Sportster S.

Last edited by hammer6315; 22nd August 2021 at 15:04..
Old 22nd August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883DLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
NLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond reputeNLXL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho69 View Post

I see the gloves are off. Politicizing people who have a different view on a motorcycle? Well done
Old 22nd August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

The moco have just change the air box and tank location and call it sportster.
What you get is a modified V-Rod. Twenty years old technologies.
Old 7th October 2021
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: HD Sprint SS-250
Other Motorcycle Year: 1967
Crash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond reputeCrash7557 has a reputation beyond repute

I finally went down and looked at both the pan america and sportster S. Given both choices as they are right now, I'd put money down for the pan.

The this sportster S is a little too wide and chunky. The front wheel is absurdly large. In person looks ridiculous. Pictures do no justice to just how large that rim and tire combo is. I felt like the floor was slanting towards the front wheel because you can feel the needless weight thats gonna make braking harder and acceleration harder than a powerful bike like that needs it to be.