The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Evo sportster Ignition Modules
Last Post: Stojan85
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 1,424
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 25,589
Views: 1,495,837
0 Electrical Harness Replacemet vs. Self Rewire
Last Post: jeffro57
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 7,791
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 524
Views: 74,067
0 best set up for ease of kick starting
Last Post: clivelive
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 47
0 Tuning a keihin butterfly
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 68
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: shivaspear
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,841
Views: 1,960,948
0 '74 Front Brake Caliper leaking
Last Post: dtwaddell42
Replies: 7
Views: 126
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 52,532
Views: 8,868,326
0 1960 XLH Stroker – a 13 year journey
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 582
0 71 XLH Value?
Last Post: joe s
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 777
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 33,089
Views: 3,903,310
0 60’s XLCH front tyre
Last Post: davixlrtt
Replies: 2
Views: 75
0 72 ih stroker advise needed
Replies: 20
Views: 1,360
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,820
Views: 961,391
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 874
0 Hello from CT
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 125
0 Aftermarket nose cone module vs aftermarket under seat module
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 294
0 Had to wait for the snow to fall to pick up my 73
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 453
0 Grenade plate fix with XR1200 parts...
Last Post: Andy56
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 73
Views: 14,436
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Replies: 2,457
Views: 265,771
0 NOS cases
Replies: 29
Views: 1,097
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 2,175
Views: 377,745
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: BillPlayfoot
Replies: 35
Views: 2,507
0 Facebook sales listing
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 0
Views: 77
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 27
Views: 1,360
0 Lectron Carbs: anyone used them?
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 4
Views: 201
0 Exhaust compatability?
Last Post: Racepres
Replies: 1
Views: 135
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 77
Views: 14,971
0 2021 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ParrotHead
Replies: 155
Views: 17,201
More...
Members Birthdays
ebikerman (85), nalakk (80), blkjak (78), Dave.N (67), cousincletus (61), stretch7 (59), jockeyshift (57), juice900 (43), sportsterwheelies (41), live_loud (39)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2021
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion.
1957 was the Sportster. They made changes in ‘58. It wasn’t the same. ‘67 they made changes, ‘71 they made changes, ‘74, ‘77, ‘81, ‘83, 86, ect, ect. What is the difference?? Changes happen. Some better some not. The bike in your garage will always be your (fill in the year), not the ‘21 model. It’s a different bike. Take it or leave it for what it is. But ride it and see what it is first. As for looks, I can’t see much of a bike except for the handlebar clamp when I’m riding.
If Ford still built the Model T and Chevy kept changing, do you think they would still be around?

As for the rider age comments, I’m shocked. I’m in the later 50’s crowd and ride a few hundred miles a month in the dirt, a thou plus on the street with kickstart bikes and don’t see any signs of slowing anytime soon. Honestly doesn’t even cross my mind. As for a trike?? (Gasp!). I haven’t led the most healthy, straight & narrow or cautious life thus far, but some of you guys are really bumming me out!
What the heck happened??

My opinion. Carry on.
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2005 XL1200Custom
hammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72HOGXLCH View Post
I am almost 60 years old, Still riding my '72 iron head. My days are numbered and
I know that I will truly miss the kick starts, the sound, the vibrations, the smell and the satisfaction of keeping old iron running. Took a trike out for a spin but something is missing.
It's the lean!
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
JunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to beholdJunkyardDog is a splendid one to behold

What's the difference? From 1957 to 2021, despite all the changes, the engine had the same basic design. There were only 2 versions, the Ironhead and the EVO. And both of those felt the same and sounded the same. They have a lot of vibration, and they make a beautiful sound. Those are the reasons I ride a Sportster. I've owned and ridden over a million miles during the past 46 years on smooth quiet bikes, and I don't ever want another one. Without the Harley feel and sound, it's just another bike. H-D has done a lot more than just make a few changes this time. What they are now calling a "Sportster" is now a whole different TYPE of bike, and I want nothing to do with it. I got a Sportster to get away from that type of bike.

Riders come in all age groups. I don't know what shocks you about that. I don't see any signs of slowing down any time soon either, but as I get older, it WILL happen. It is inevitable. And if I make it into my 70s, and decide riding on two wheels is no longer safe enough, you bet I will switch to a trike. It sure beats giving up riding altogether.

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride. Hunter S Thompson
Old 13th August 2021
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
John Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Harper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDog View Post
I am 62, so hopefully I have many more years of riding ahead of me. And it will all be done on REAL Harleys.

I even considered a new one, but they are all matte black, and that is just not my thing.
I'm 63, feel the same way. But, I abhor trikes, no matter the configuration.

Every time I see a matte black Sportster, I give thanks mine is a glossy Vivid Black and "traditional" engine finish. Matte black has "jumped the shark" in the last couple years, if not longer.

John
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

hammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond reputehammer6315 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a trike available that actually allows you to lean in the coroners. It is of the 'spyder' configuration. Cost looks like $14K! Also conventional style kits available, but, I'm guessing their out of my price range also.

Last edited by hammer6315; 13th August 2021 at 16:13..
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883/1200 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 11 RK
ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

How about the training wheels they use to sell for Honda Goldwing: Google Insta Trike and Landing Gears for Goldwing. They also have a tow kit with those training wheel, will look good on the new Sportster S aka WeeRod. The Peewee Rod; Street 750 and 500 should have come as the 1250. Better look IMO.
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeanprimeau View Post
How about the training wheels they use to sell for Honda Goldwing: Google Insta Trike and Landing Gears for Goldwing. They also have a tow kit with those training wheel, will look good on the new Sportster S aka WeeRod. The Peewee Rod; Street 750 and 500 should have come as the 1250. Better look IMO.
A rider I know tipped over his gold wing. The mrs. did not like that at all! So, he had a trike kit installed for $13K! Yikes! (And it don't lean)
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200X
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Other Motorcycle Model: Road Glide CVO
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
motorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond reputemotorfish has a reputation beyond repute

I got to ride quite a few bikes, swapping with friends on shorter and longer rides. Sport (race) bikes are not my thing, neither is the Gold Wing. Harleys are generally ok, love the character and sound. I have to admit, V Rod was not as bad as I thought it would be, and with mid controls would be actually a sweet ride. Still, my my 48 with improved suspension is the sweetest
Now with the new Sportster S, I have to ride it to judge other than looks, if I were to buy one, definitely would look to increase suspension travel front and rear, change to mids ,and to do something visually with the left side of the bike (and about the general looks).
Being fan of the fat front tire, that seems to fit with the Sportster S quite nicely in overall profile of the bike. Gyroscopic effect or not, one of the most unsettling feelings I had was on Sportster with skinny front wheel. Didn't like how it handled, and the look over the bar made me think of bicycle wheel slapped on motorcycle. On a Softail, Fat boy over BreakOut any day (wheel wise).
Sadly, the Evo motor days are gone, at least in Europe, and whether this completely new iteration of Sportster will justify its name only time will tell.
Old 13th August 2021
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Well, with three Sporties and being in my mid-seventies, I’m covered. I don have to like the new offering. My consternation is will it be enough to keep the MoCo afloat? The more recent track record going back to Buell, then V-Rod and the Streets makes it hard to be positive. Is the Revolution too little too late or will it be salvation? The riding position is reminiscent of the V-Rod, too convoluted for my old body. While excited about the engine specs and that the overall that weight was kept down some are pluses. Those big ass tires don’t work for me, neither does the minimalist seat. Gas tank capacity is lacking and I really need mid controls. I fail to see the beauty in that exhaust and wonder about having that much heat under my thigh. Time will tell, will it be enough?
I.B.A.#26543,

Dads words of wisdom:”behave and if you can’t behave don’t get caught!”

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start