The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 The Strociek Project
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 72
Views: 5,073
0 Looking for community help/steering/front end issues
Last Post: tkvalentine
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 179
0 Crankcase drain
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 18
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,524
0 71 XLH Value?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 61
Views: 2,117
5 Thunderstorm pistons in xl??
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 94
0 sportster revival
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 424
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Fivecats
Replies: 52,579
Views: 8,875,868
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: 73HEAD
Replies: 82
Views: 5,708
0 Trouble removing old license plate
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 567
0 Snippets
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 535
Views: 74,979
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 25,652
Views: 1,501,902
0 Posting Pics
Last Post: BigAl57
Replies: 16
Views: 6,496
7 2001 xlh 1200 off road
Last Post: Warlock
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,153
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,826
Views: 962,744
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 1,510
0 Hello From Brighton, England
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 115
9 Very long pullback handlebars required
Last Post: Elzer0
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,375
0 Japanese Cush Drive!!
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 17,540
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 33,159
Views: 3,916,611
0 video & pics
Replies: 598
Views: 64,093
0 This is gonna hurt.
Replies: 9,094
Views: 2,133,893
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,619
Views: 2,996,147
0 Electrical Harness Replacemet vs. Self Rewire
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 8,236
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 2,943
0 never mind
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 303
Views: 58,819
0 Canadian Purchases
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 23 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 4,015
0 best set up for ease of kick starting
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 398
0 2007 Sportster 883 won’t start; no turn signals
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 324
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
highonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura about
Default Lost a Sportster to corrupt customs broker

Here's the story,
I live between Los Angeles and Thailand.
On my last trip last year to LA, my buddy had asked me to find a deal on a Sportster and ship it back to him in Thailand.

I found a nice bike that he liked, bought it and disassembled it, built crates and when I was ready to ship it to him by boat I thought to myself, I wanted one too. So I bought one too. I modified mine and started to dissemble and crate it up while his was on it's way. Pictures-(https://picasaweb.google.com/highont...eat=directlink)

Days before I was going to ship mine out, He called me and said he was having problems with customs and the custom broker that he chose.
The day before I was to fly back home to Thailand and finalize my shipping he contacted me again to say stop my shipment as he had lost his bike to a corrupt broker. Everything a total loss! Bike gone, no repercussion. Yea, a real bummer. He has since bought a Honda steed! Yep A steed! He's heartbroken as you can understand.

I left my bike bike in its crates in my garage in LA and flew to my home in Thailand. I am now back to my home in LA and keep looking at the crates in the garage. Pictures-(https://picasaweb.google.com/highont...eat=directlink)

I'm telling this story to you guys not to bitch about a lost Sportster, but to get some motivation to put mine back together and ride it while I'm here in the states. If I register in my wife's name (she is Thai) after a year and a half the bike will be eligible for duty free shipment to Thailand as a returning Thailand national (one time car or bike) Household goods shipment.

Should I put it back together or just leave it in it's crates and ship it at some time in the future?
Old 6th February 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: '07 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: '0
Graybeard has disabled reputation

Well that's a bummer! Insurance?
Old 6th February 2012
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
highonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura abouthighonthai has a spectacular aura about

Nope, he well his wife (Thai) must have rubbed someone the wrong way and the customs guy must have wanted it more than he.. Told him to just send it back to LA, but at that point it was to late. All of our buddys always tell him "nice Harley" when he pulls up on that Honda. Not me of course, I still feel bad about it.
I just keep looking at the crates and think whether or not to put mine back together ride it, then brake it down Again!
Old 6th February 2012
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: M2
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG - FLTR
Other Motorcycle Year: 99
Iman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to allIman01 is a name known to all

I'd say don't ship it until you meet a customs broker (in person) you can trust, or at least have some repercussions if he steals from you. Might as well ride it in the mean time...
Old 7th February 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
bacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura about

Go to a muay Thai camp and make friends. They break the customs guy legs for you. Or go to a richguy and get him to pull some strings andscrew over that customs dude.
Old 7th February 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I think that using a reputable freight forwarder and customs broker is the only way to go. I know it might cost a bit more but atleast you get your stuff. I am not sure I would be able to take this ripoff so well.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 10th February 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Other Motorcycle Model: Speedway Green Horm
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

I use to work for a computer chip company that had a factory in Thailand just a little north of Bangkok. Thailand freight is an interesting thing. The gov't controls who's allowed to move stuff from the port to final destination.

But.... if you talk to UPS or DHL they can arrange to have it get there. You will pay more shipping and have to pay full duties ... but you will have your Harley.
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .
Old 10th February 2012
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond repute

You say there are no reprucussions. I don't understand.
You bought the bike. You should have the title or a bill of sale or something.
You can prove the bike is your buddy's.
Can't the cops go and get the bike from fat ass?
Take it out of his skin.
Old 10th February 2012
outside the box racing

Sportster/Buell Model: Turbo 1350 XLSR
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Turbo 1350 XLDS project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 883->1330 dragster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1991
bitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant futurebitpusher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc View Post
You say there are no reprucussions. I don't understand.
You bought the bike. You should have the title or a bill of sale or something.
You can prove the bike is your buddy's.
Can't the cops go and get the bike from fat ass?
Take it out of his skin.
here, let me help:

"Sorry farang, TIT (this is thailand)."

if the broker didn't know that he could get away with it with impunity he would not even try.

in thailand, money talks. LOUDLY. a customs broker is in a unique position to have officials already in pocket or as friends.

unless you have the same kind of connections with officials and thugs, planning any retribution is a very bad idea.

better to just go kick a dog and learn your lesson.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

TGB #8
#1999 1350 APS-PBG AMA/USFRA current
Old 10th February 2012
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 48
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
bacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura aboutbacalao has a spectacular aura about

If that was me, I'd get on the horn with some buddies, and legs would be broken. But don't be like me..