The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Bearing questions
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 122
0 Can you Drown a Sportster ???
Last Post: broknluck
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 845
0 I guess I'm back
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 1,224
0 Compensator nut.
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 51
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,047
Views: 1,683,715
0 turn key on, no power at battery. key off battery good. help
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 573
0 Clutch issues
Last Post: Gibson90kb
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 179
0 Cold?
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 1,112
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,361
Views: 6,962,638
0 Basic Welding Equipment
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 2,068
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 866
Views: 74,688
0 Massachusetts rides 2019
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 262
0 75 XLH Bendix Carb Spitting Gas - Video
Last Post: Kennyv
Replies: 17
Views: 648
0 WTF is it with these F'n rocker cover leaks!
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 128
Views: 2,080
4 The no-debate OIL POLL
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 225
Views: 64,272
0 Front end swap
Replies: 1
Views: 88
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 12,227
Views: 1,116,319
0 Torquing Rubber
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 52
Views: 1,900
0 Been cheated on?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Replies: 99
Views: 9,826
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,128
Views: 778,129
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 10,791
Views: 868,848
14 HD ad for Dirt?
Replies: 0
Views: 32
0 Cold Start. Then stall
Last Post: Tucsonmax1
Replies: 4
Views: 173
0 HD 100th Anniversary Sporty Pic Thread
Last Post: kopbilly1
Replies: 211
Views: 128,691
0 Looking For parts 86 XLH
Last Post: cajun1957a
Views: 26
0 Trade: 91-03 Forward Controls for Mid Controls
Last Post: tmessenger
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 28
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 4,966
0 Brake Line Part Number ?
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 352
More...
Members Birthdays
billib (65), Scar (60), koolblue, Spor-T-1 (56), Choppershed (55), Nemo DeNovo (53), harman35 (51), Wannabee (51), crackermank (49), WORM (43)
Tags
'73 ironhead, bobber, matching numbers, rat, rebuild

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2014
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Levi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to all

ok, bit the bullet and got the Jugs, Rebuilt Conrods and Gasket kit on it's way. Shipping out today, should see them Monday or Tuesday. I may have a busy weekend. lol

Heading out to tear down the Clutch Side. This is where I should probably run out to find a service manual. lol. Though, in this modern day and age of getting to be an old lazy bastard, I'll source the required reading here on the internet. I am sure If i look, someone, somewhere, at sometime over the last 2 decades, have uploaded a service manual and spec sheets.

Should of bought a ream of paper while I was in town, and just printed it out. though I would probably need another box of black ink as well.

Jugs look really good for being 40 and pretty much unmolested.

I wont bother with pics of the rebuilt con. I think all here have all seen them once in their existence.

heading out to see where I go from here.

Any tips/hints on the coming fun, would be very good to see. lol
Old 12th April 2014
Chief Know It All

Levi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to allLevi Luther is a name known to all

checked the old jugs. the Mic'ed out at 3.193. the pistons that were installed were .10 overs, so they would of been about 3.128 give or take. Ya wonder why the last topend that was done didn't appear to last too long.

someone should of paid some better cash to a better knuckle buster, or they should of looked for advice, or took it when it was offered. lol

anyways, have to get the clutch Primary bolt loose. Any suggestions? Seems to be on rather firmly, and Im not sure how to stop the clutch drum from spinning. I assume there is a Trick, but im unaware of it atm.

Any tips anyone can offer?
Old 12th April 2014
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 883 Iron
Other Motorcycle Year: 2010
bobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of lightbobber58 is a glorious beacon of light

A .010 over piston will mic out at 3.19 since 3.18 is stock. So your piston clearance was spot on the money. Also they are only .010 over so you could of had them bored and honed and put fresh pistons and rings in them. Are the new jugs early 73? Have you tried to bolt a head on yet? How do you know the lower needs redone, what was the side shake measurements?
Old 12th April 2014
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch 73
Sportster/Buell Year: sold
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1997 1200s
big andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond repute

Type in ironhead stickys in the search bar at bottom left of page it will take you to the tech section with all info you will need and a list of special tools and how to make em
1997 1200s 1250 Hammer performance kit . Hammer performance billet inlet manifold .Hammer performance billet pushrod tube holders. energy one extra plate clutch kit . bronze oil pump drive gear upgrade
Old 12th April 2014
Chief Know It All

bobber, the jugs have some pretty deep, for lack of a better term wear divits. looks like what one would call piston slap gouges. I ll try to get some clear pics of them tomorrow. they go pretty deep into the walls. I dont think they can be bored out to get past those spots. both cylinders have them, pistons are pretty beat up, heads are in Great shape, just a little carboned up is all.

Yes the replacements are indeed 72/e73s, Originals infact from a 73, and look dang near new. Fresh bore at .20 over, with pistons. Coming from Bills Custom Cycle in Bloomsburg PA with a set of rebuilt Cons and gasket kit. The replacements are the ones in the pic I posted just above your last comment.

Out of all the various top ends I have had my fingers in over the years, what I am seeing is seemingly indicative of what typically would be called piston slap, but I may very well be mistaken on that.

Hopefully the pics will show the damage. The Measurement I took wast at the very top of the fire ring with a set of digi calipers. Maybe I should of did the bottom? or deeper from the top? Still a newb to these Harleys.

Excellent. Some of the tools I have been seeing I could use have me wondering other options available. the option of building the tool i need is a great one that I like very much. Thanx big andy.
Old 12th April 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud of

Top, middle and bottom.
Old 12th April 2014
Chief Know It All

i dont have a set of inside calipers to measure past the first inch or so depth into the cyldinders. I ll get a check of the bottoms when i go grab the pics, and try to Highight the wear areas inside the jugs. If there is a potential they could be bored and saved, then they wont be nice flower pots. lol. So its worth investigating to me, even though i have a set of replacements on the way...
Sponsored Links
Old 13th April 2014

big andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond reputebig andy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Luther View Post
i dont have a set of inside calipers to measure past the first inch or so depth into the cyldinders. I ll get a check of the bottoms when i go grab the pics, and try to Highight the wear areas inside the jugs. If there is a potential they could be bored and saved, then they wont be nice flower pots. lol. So its worth investigating to me, even though i have a set of replacements on the way...
Also measure them to make sure they are not out of round sometimes you can measure them and they seem fine within spec then you measure them at 90 degrees to where you measured before and they are over spec so measure at several different spots around the bore just to be sure
Old 13th April 2014
Chief Know It All

Shall do. Im checking these orig jugs to see if as bobber noted, they may only be .10 over, and possibly salvageable with a bore. at the worst they arn't. but in the chance they may be able to be redone, its worth the inspection. I ll have to get ahold of a buddy of mine that has all the proper mics i can use to check them properly.
Old 13th April 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Luther View Post
Shall do. Im checking these orig jugs to see if as bobber noted, they may only be .10 over, and possibly salvageable with a bore. at the worst they arn't. but in the chance they may be able to be redone, its worth the inspection. I ll have to get ahold of a buddy of mine that has all the proper mics i can use to check them properly.
For sure if you can salvage them original jugs even better just get them checked over by someone who does rebores all the time as long as them score marks are not any deeper than what 20 thou or 30 thou overbore will clean up use them for sure .But try and get a good machinist to measure them for you and give his opinion on whether 20 or 30 oversize will work