The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Patriot Defender whats the next best exhaust?
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 184
Views: 33,137
0 no need to take off derby cover??
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 204
0 Clutchlite ramps with pictures
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 5,502
0 Tubeless valve stem
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 135
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Bored now
Posted On: 25 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,152
Views: 781,748
0 Race Report (Short Video)
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 170
0 How to eliminate TSM on 2000
Last Post: steveolds
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 432
0 Collapsed lifter??
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 93
0 28 years later..
Last Post: USAFpj
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 1,956
0 sluggish advance weights
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 209
0 Sportster Crankcase Pressure / Engine Breathing / Wetsumping and Mods
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 126
Views: 4,307
0 Urgent: Please help with brake lines
Last Post: christophoro
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 44,397
Views: 6,975,014
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 12,347
Views: 1,124,575
0 ....1
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 4,927
Views: 290,001
0 New Harley Owner
Last Post: oreocat1
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 80
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Replies: 10,798
Views: 872,305
0 rattles like a can of bolts
Replies: 4
Views: 195
0 1982 Ironhead Washer Part
Last Post: class of 82
Replies: 9
Views: 202
0 gearing is too high ?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 21
Views: 1,095
0 Motorcycle wash, would you?
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 257
0 Open relationships, swinging, threesomes, et al...
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 142
Views: 28,818
0 Photos: King Peanut or Regular Peanut tank?
Last Post: rezchug
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 35,385
0 Hawgfest Carlsbad NM
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 107
0 Seat options for XL1200
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 94
0 3 pole Ig Switch numbers
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 105
0 Upcoming 1275 hammer upgrade carb choices
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 268
0 Starter problem
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 107
More...
Members Birthdays
stevervp, philvet (76), outlawreb (64), rabes56 (63), Bigmatt (61), Beaker666 (55), hippiemwc (55), wumm883c (53), 2wheeltodd (52), israel (47), XRWeasel (45), Stitch (42), Dekooy (36), Titaniumrust (36), Ameri-Deutsch (35)
Tags
bendix, carb, float, leak

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2014
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA Spitfire
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
bsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to all
Default Help me with the physics of the Bendix float

Bike: 1972 XLH, stock air cleaner and pipes
Carb: Bendix with genuine Zenith rebuild kit

If I ever forget to shut off the fuel petcock, my Bendix carb leaks fuel from the accelerator pump. If I walk in the garage and I smell gas, it's a sure bet the petcock is on. No gas smell = petcock is off.

I've read through a handful of posts regarding this (here, and here, and here) and I think the issue may be with the float height. Sounds simple, but is it?

The float rises as the bowl fills and, as it rises, it pushes against the needle. If I flip the carb over and find that the 3/16 drill bit fits perfectly, where do I go from here? Slightly bigger or slightly smaller drill bit?

My guess is < 3/16" will raise the fuel level, and anything > 3/16" will lower the level. Is this correct?
Old 26th September 2014
Land Speed Record

bsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to all

On a related note, when I rebuilt the carb and checked float height, I did so without gasket. There are posts in the discussions I listed above regarding whether the instructions that "the bottom surface of the float should be 3/16 inch from the gasket surface" means with or without. I read "gasket surface" as meaning the surface that the gasket lays on, but others read it as the surface of the gasket.

Who knows? I'll probably reset it with the gasket in place if the answer to my question above is "use a bigger drill bit".
Old 26th September 2014
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Low/TTS/Gronked
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all2007Low is a name known to all

And you've got the float assist spring installed and pushing the right direction?

I've forgotten the petcock on mine a few times and never had a problem, but it sounds like yours would eventually leak all of your fuel into the crankcase.

I think I would disassemble the carb and hook up a fuel supply to it and check the needle and seat for proper functionality.
Old 26th September 2014
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

did you put a new float needle in with the kit? if it's the old needle look to see if has a wear ring around where it fits into the carb body when it shuts off the fuel supply, also check where the needle seat to for wear. current needle full metal, or rubber tipped?
Old 26th September 2014
Land Speed Record

New rubber-tipped needle. The old one was worn as if it had been held against the seat to long; a sort of curved point.
Old 26th September 2014

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaman View Post
...The old one was worn as if it had been held against the seat to long; a sort of curved point.
all metal? it can be reconditioned. the newer stuff with the viton/rubber tip, apparently does not play well with today's "gasoline". may or may not be the problem you have, just food for thought...
Old 26th September 2014

Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
ezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud ofezmerf has much to be proud of

Alright I'm gonna add a new twist to this,I call it the lean factor.The 3/16th is meant for a stock bike with stock kick stand.I think like my bike has way to much lean for I have 8" over on tubes and a kick stand that is sort of bend and it leaks out the over flow.
I think one member here cut the viton off the needle and that worked for him.Seems to me back in the day they didn't have the rubber tip.So what I'm saying is you just have to play with the float setting but you also don't want to be running out of fuel when your buddy on the Evo is trying to run off and leave you.The 3/16th is what's recommended but not the only setting that'll work.I always shut fuel off on all my bikes always have.
Old 26th September 2014

Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 69
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster
Other Motorcycle Year: 70
simeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud ofsimeli has much to be proud of

While I always shut off the fuel I also run the bowl dry after every outing, this allows fresh gas into the carb for every start. Unless you have some serious lean to your bike 3/16" should be plenty, look to the seat, needle or spring, also look to the check for the pump.
Old 26th September 2014
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH/H
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Fridge has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmerf View Post
Alright I'm gonna add a new twist to this,I call it the lean factor.The 3/16th is meant for a stock bike with stock kick stand.I think like my bike has way to much lean for I have 8" over on tubes and a kick stand that is sort of bend and it leaks out the over flow.
I think one member here cut the viton off the needle and that worked for him.Seems to me back in the day they didn't have the rubber tip.So what I'm saying is you just have to play with the float setting but you also don't want to be running out of fuel when your buddy on the Evo is trying to run off and leave you.The 3/16th is what's recommended but not the only setting that'll work.I always shut fuel off on all my bikes always have.

+ 1 ezmerf,,,,,,,,,, sage info and advice.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th September 2014
Land Speed Record

Well, going back to the original requests: can anyone clue me in on the float adjustment? If I want to raise the float (shut off fuel earlier) and I'm holding the carb upside down, which way do I bend what?