The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Organize a Ride-out or find a riding buddy
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Organize a Ride-out or find a riding buddy Here is where you can organize your local ride-outs or search for a new riding buddy.

Active Threads
0 Scorpion Clutch / Mueller Easy Pull
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 31
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 41,193
Views: 6,316,128
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,572
Views: 554,271
0 Gotta Start a Thread for the Streetfighter Too!
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 2,534
0 This is gonna hurt.
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,478
Views: 1,357,446
0 Tt
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 239
0 Shift Tower Interchangeability / 4 Speed Rebuild
Last Post: Fast-Shovel
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 62
Views: 2,261
0 Have You Seen This? (New Harleys)
Last Post: jammantoo
Replies: 93
Views: 3,511
0 Sizing cylinders too pistons
Last Post: Yakcm2
Replies: 2
Views: 52
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: Slojoe55
Replies: 2,704
Views: 245,543
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: lazyb8s
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,278
Views: 583,066
0 (How to Needed) TC88A ignition module donated to me
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 992
0 oil pump breather screen
Last Post: Gold Member
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 63
0 Just bought the cheapest 2-1 on ebay.
Last Post: brianbbs67
Replies: 8
Views: 201
0 whats your iron head worth
Replies: 271
Views: 56,688
0 Shovester Sighting
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 6,575
0 Boardtracker Project
Last Post: JonesL
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 531
Views: 96,123
0 How Much Money Has Being An XL Forum Member Saved You?
Last Post: Black Bobo
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 162
Views: 64,891
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,089
Views: 113,151
0 ‘17 Roadster no start...
Last Post: ADK XL
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 631
0 EZ Pull clutch
Last Post: Fast-Shovel
Replies: 7
Views: 1,009
0 What are you drinking tonight?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 1,909
Views: 106,398
0 Spark Plugs
Last Post: sltm1
Replies: 7
Views: 208
5 Change Tranny Sprocket After Conversion?
Last Post: RAIDER0372
Replies: 39
Views: 1,174
0 Xl/Buell drag bike parts
Last Post: Slojoe55
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 2,826
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 211
Views: 15,628
0 To crossover or not?
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 27
Views: 3,602
0 1998 Sportster Ignition Problems
Last Post: james69
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 536
0 Battery draining problem when running, but generator and regulator work?
Last Post: Nate.evans
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 1,916
0 Big Bore Kit - What else is needed
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 597
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

A Three State Sunday

Yesterday, I rode to Lesage, West Virginia, ate a couple of Hot Dogs and then rode home.

That’s the truth, but it doesn’t even begin to describe the day I had.

To begin with, the weather was a stereotypically hot like an August Sunday is supposed to be. The thermometer that I saw when I was gassing up for the trip home said 93 F. It was hot, but tolerable at 70 MPH.

I left Cincinnati and took a mix of Interstate and State highways there. I decided to stop at the first Rest Area in West Virginia and get a road map. When I stopped, there was a etched stone monument dedicating the Highway to the Airborne Paratroopers and Glidermen. I thought that was pretty nice. I’ve known a few former Airborne military, including one who got pretty seriously messed up when his chute didn’t open properly.

Anyway, I followed Google’s directions and almost rode past Hillbilly Hot Dogs. The directions said 3.4 miles after I turned right onto Route 2, but it was a bit less.

I don’t know how to describe the place. It’s an assault on your eyes. There’s strange stuff everywhere. We parked beside a rusted old ‘70s vintage Suzuki four that was buried in the ground up to its axles. Everything (and there’s more there than I could look at) screams Hillbilly loudly. From the building construction, to the haphazard scattering of all kinds of stuff. And all of it is covered with graffiti. The Dining area is a couple of old school busses with about a brazillion names on the ceiling in magic marker. There’s a giant “Still” with water coming out of a spiral copper tube and falling into a bathtub that's full of soapsuds with two legs sticking out. There’s a fiberglass speedboat with a “Flying Tigers” shark mouth painted on the bow (we all signed the boat on the forward deck). I saw some kid pick up the receiver on an old dial phone that was there. There’s so much stuff that there’s no way to take it all in. I’m going to have to go back again.

Anyhow, Brian was there when I pulled up and Roy pulled up just after I did. Roy was riding a newer Roadster with the better suspension. He’s put motocross style bars on it and also had the seat reupholstered. A new exhaust and some shock extenders that really helped the handling added to the bike’s performance. Joe pulled up on his bike shortly after, followed by Kelly and his daughter.

Hillbilly Hot dogs has about two dozen different varieties of hot dogs you can get They have one called The Home Wrecker it’s 15” long, and weighs a pound. Once all the condiments are on it, it weighs three pounds or so. And, if that’s not enough, they have one that’s even bigger. I don’t recall the name of it, not it’s specs, but I can’t imagine anyone being able to finish one, though I’m sure that there are people who can and have done so.

The purpose of these Meet&Eats is for socializing. We did that. We talked about all different aspects of motorcycles and motorcycling. We hung around there until about 4:30, then headed out. I had planned my route as a big loop, so I was headed north for a little while before turning west towards Cincinnati.

Four of us headed North while Kelly and his daughter (whose name I can’t remember) headed south towards Huntington. Once we got up to Rt. 35, Brian and I peeled off to go west while Roy and Joe continued north. I split from Brian at Rt. 32. He continued north while I went west. As the sun dropped lower in the sky, the temperatures fell into the mid to upper 80s, making for a delightful ride. I got home a little before sunset.

For me, it was a very enjoyable day and I got to meet with some really good people.

Last edited by Crusty; 1 Week Ago at 15:00..
Old 1 Week Ago
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
A Three State Sunday

Yesterday, I rode to Lesage, West Virginia, ate a couple of Hot Dogs and then rode home.

That’s the truth, but it doesn’t even begin to describe the day I had.

To begin with, the weather was a stereotypically hot like an August Sunday is supposed to be. The thermometer that I saw when I was gassing up for the trip home said 93 F. It was hot, but tolerable at 70 MPH.

I left Cincinnati and took a mix of Interstate and State highways there. I decided to stop at the first Rest Area in West Virginia and get a road map. When I stopped, there was a etched stone monument dedicating the Highway to the Airborne Paratroopers and Glidermen. I thought that was pretty nice. I’ve known a few former Airborne military, including one who got pretty seriously messed up when his chute didn’t open properly.

Anyway, I followed Google’s directions and almost rode past Hillbilly Hot Dogs. The directions said 3.4 miles after I turned right onto Route 2, but it was a bit less.

I don’t know how to describe the place. It’s an assault on your eyes. There’s strange stuff everywhere. We parked beside a rusted old ‘70s vintage Suzuki four that was buried in the ground up to its axles. Everything (and there’s more there than I could look at) screams Hillbilly loudly. From the building construction, to the haphazard scattering of all kinds of stuff. And all of it is covered with graffiti. The Dining area is a couple of old school busses with about a brazillion names on the ceiling in magic marker. There’s a giant “Still” with water coming out of a spiral copper tube and falling into a bathtub that's full of soapsuds with two legs sticking out. There’s a fiberglass speedboat with a “Flying Tigers” shark mouth painted on the bow (we all signed the boat on the forward deck). I saw some kid pick up the receiver on an old dial phone that was there. There’s so much stuff that there’s no way to take it all in. I’m going to have to go back again.

Anyhow, Brian was there when I pulled up and Roy pulled up just after I did. Roy was riding a newer Roadster with the better suspension. He’s put motocross style bars on it and also had the seat reupholstered. A new exhaust and some shock extenders that really helped the handling added to the bike’s performance. Joe pulled up on his bike shortly after, followed by Kelly and his daughter.

Hillbilly Hot dogs has about two dozen different varieties of hot dogs you can get They have one called The Home Wrecker it’s 15” long, and weighs a pound. Once all the condiments are on it, it weighs three pounds or so. And, if that’s not enough, they have one that’s even bigger. I don’t recall the name of it, not it’s specs, but I can’t imagine anyone being able to finish one, though I’m sure that there are people who can and have done so.

The purpose of these Meet&Eats is for socializing. We did that. We talked about all different aspects of motorcycles and motorcycling. We hung around there until about 4:30, then headed out. I had planned my route as a big loop, so I was headed north for a little while before turning west towards Cincinnati.

Four of us headed North while Kelly and his daughter (whose name I can’t remember) headed south towards Huntington. Once we got up to Rt. 35, Brian and I peeled off to go west while Roy and Joe continued north. I split from Brian at Rt. 32. He continued north while I went west. As the sun dropped lower in the sky, the temperatures fell into the mid to upper 80s, making for a delightful ride. I got home a little before sunset.

For me, it was a very enjoyable day and I got to meet with some really good people.

Cool, sounds like a good time

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
BKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond reputeBKB has a reputation beyond repute

It was a good day, all 'round. Great company, & hot dogs worth a return trip. About 400 miles for me. A mix of mostly 4 lane US routes, 23, 52 & 35 & some 2 laners, WV 2, OH 7, 38, 42 & a couple others. Got home around 8.