The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 New to me bike - 2004 1200r -did I miss anything
Last Post: chief100
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 4
0 Newbie
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 13
0 grinding noise.
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 351
4 The no-debate OIL POLL
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 220
Views: 61,978
0 mystery leak
Last Post: 11ccd13
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 4,981
0 New LED headlight bulb. Highbeam aim wrong.
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 246
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 43,772
Views: 6,847,950
0 Oil pump Iron 1000 1979 bizarre.....
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 7
Views: 240
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 11,261
Views: 1,004,086
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bstrdbike
Replies: 4,041
Views: 461,571
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: joes95bobber
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,927
Views: 1,635,956
0 2019 East Coast Meet and Greet
Last Post: joes95bobber
Replies: 259
Views: 29,742
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 2,157
Views: 261,120
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: walterxlh
Replies: 5,929
Views: 742,923
0 Could this be an overheating issue?
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 542
14 1974 Ironhead sportster xlch
Last Post: Ltdr13
Replies: 49
Views: 11,433
0 71 Iron
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 1
Views: 98
0 Street Tracker
Last Post: garyajaz
Replies: 5
Views: 155
0 Longer Rear Brake (Foot Brake) Lever?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 10
Views: 165
0 ***DK Custom-*NEW* On Our Site-Scratch & Dent Specials***
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 4
Views: 639
0 Dynojet Power Vision 2
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 223
Views: 25,837
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Last Post: jzink0883
Replies: 569
Views: 72,180
0 DK Custom-Parts Info, Testing, & Results w/ Pics & Fun-to-Read Ride Reports
Replies: 14
Views: 2,233
0 New member
Last Post: Calcustom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 139
0 Clutch ramp outer
Last Post: Harry
Replies: 2
Views: 62
0 ***DK Custom-Beat The Heat-Save 10% on Cooling Components***
Replies: 1
Views: 79
0 Rolling Thunder
Last Post: ezmerf
Replies: 0
Views: 48
0 Leaky oil drain plug.
Last Post: ezmerf
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 111
0 Lake Erie Ride Alums?
Last Post: Shark Doctor
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 2,331
More...
Members Birthdays
dtw757 (65), XLH75Rider (64), JRLang13 (57), Shaerona (55), christophe (52), collectovince (51), buckethead (41), Hang_Em_High (39)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2016
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
xmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
By 'loading up' I mean slowly increase the preload on the tensioner. No need to have the rear wheel turning or even on a lift. Only the engine running, as the whine is audible with the bike standing still. Might be an even clearer whine if you GENTLY twist the throttle between each turn of the adjuster. Take it for a testdrive after, & take the 2 adjusting wrenches with you, coz if you got it wrong, it's only a matter of slackening the locknut & making a fine tuning. Saved me a lot of time in the past.
I'm going to try this today and wanted to make sure I had this right. With the bike warm put it in neutral and slowly tighten the tensioner until you hear it slightly whining. From there back it off until you don't hear the whining anymore. Then do you back it off even more (1/4, 1/8)?? Or do you leave it when you get the whining to stop? When you take the bike for a test ride what exactly should I be listening for, to see if the bike whines in gears or to check how shifting feels? I would do it the normal way but I don't have a MC jack yet.

Thanks
Mike
Old 20th July 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikex View Post
I'm going to try this today and wanted to make sure I had this right. With the bike warm put it in neutral and slowly tighten the tensioner until you hear it slightly whining. From there back it off until you don't hear the whining anymore. Then do you back it off even more (1/4, 1/8)?? Or do you leave it when you get the whining to stop? When you take the bike for a test ride what exactly should I be listening for, to see if the bike whines in gears or to check how shifting feels? I would do it the normal way but I don't have a MC jack yet.

Thanks
Mike
I would back it off an additional 1/8 turn after the whining stops. Then take it for a ride and if you are still whining, just man up and keep riding...

Seriously though, I adjusted mine too tight this way, (It was whining, the wife was whining, so I decided to listen to her and all the noise went away) so I always back it off more now. 1/4 turn is a lot, so 1/8 turn at a time is what I would recommend. The limit on the other end of adjustment is felt more than heard as you downshift. If it feels sloppy and you can feel the slack in the chain (chugging), then it's too loose. You have a good 1/4 to 1/2 turn between too loose and too tight.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 23rd July 2016
Greasemonkey

xmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura aboutxmikex has a spectacular aura about

Is the primary suppose to whine at all? Adjusted my chain the Harley way, checked chain cold and put the tightest spot Between 3/8 and 1/2. There seems to be a little whine but after riding it seemed to go away. Bumped the starter a couple times and checked the chain and it did get looser in some spots but tightest spot is where I adjusted it. Bike doesn't flunk as much and clicks cleaner into gear and neutral.
Old 23rd July 2016
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHP
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: 13 Guzzi V7 / 11 Duc 696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikex View Post
Is the primary suppose to whine at all? Adjusted my chain the Harley way, checked chain cold and put the tightest spot Between 3/8 and 1/2. There seems to be a little whine but after riding it seemed to go away. Bumped the starter a couple times and checked the chain and it did get looser in some spots but tightest spot is where I adjusted it. Bike doesn't flunk as much and clicks cleaner into gear and neutral.
No, it shouldn't whine. If it whines it's probably too tight.

I prefer to run it on the loose end of spec.
Old 27th July 2016
Greasemonkey

Adjusted my belt into spec bad everything feels better. Only thing I'm getting now is that on a cold start up and before the bike is warm I'm getting a tiny whine from the primary. When the bike heats up the whine seems to go away or lessen. Also the whine seems to be there in 1-2 gear and goes away in the higher gears.

Should I loosen the primary chain a little? I adjusted at tightest spot and put it closer to 3/8 side than 1/2, So tighter more than loose.
Old 29th July 2016
Greasemonkey

Loosened the chain up slightly to see if I can get the whining to go away. Only did a tiny bit and now shifter doesn't seem to be as crisp. Is it better to be more towards the 1/2 side vs the 3/8, loose better than tight.

I only got whining on cold star but would go away once warmed up.
Old 3rd September 2016
Greasemonkey

Adjusted the chain and still get a slight whine sound on cold start ups. It seems to whine a little in 1/2 gear. I do not know if it's gear whine or just that it's cold but it goes away once the bike warms up. It still whines a little though when in neutral cold and I give it a little gas so I don't think it's cold gear whine since the bike is in neutral. The chain is on the looser 1/2 side and I feel like it would be to loose if I loosened it up anymore.