The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: Kbetts
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 440
Views: 55,869
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 42,205
Views: 6,540,924
0 Guzzi V7
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 106
3 Making my own exhaust gaskets?
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 41
0 Wheel Bearing Question
Last Post: ReddTigger
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 306
0 How many have converted their 883 to 1200?
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 378
Views: 98,330
8 Tc88a
Last Post: Mjolnir
Replies: 14
Views: 239
0 Forum member mug shots
Last Post: RAIDER0372
Replies: 1,132
Views: 335,942
14 Firearms you wish you owned.
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 538
Views: 93,389
0 Helmet poll
Last Post: Bama Lee XLC
Replies: 822
Views: 149,166
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 803
Views: 50,338
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,864
Views: 279,082
0 Rivets for Front Fender Braces - '71 xlch
Last Post: Blowupster
Replies: 11
Views: 3,207
0 Fork oil
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 2
Views: 52
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 9,151
Views: 751,922
3 How long have you had your Iron Head?
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 392
Views: 45,034
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 118
Views: 7,553
0 XR1200 Torquehammer exhaust failure.. again.
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 952
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,759
Views: 191,255
0 Rolling Thunder Coming To An End
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 140
0 Dale's Killer 40mm CV Carb
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 973
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,501
Views: 550,923
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,413
Views: 746,746
0 Ignition Module failure or Intake leak?
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 157
0 2011 exhaust on 2004?
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 110
0 Air Cleaner Bracket Mounting
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 353
0 Hello Everybody
Last Post: oreocat1
Replies: 16
Views: 175
0 Greetings from Riedcoast
Last Post: oreocat1
Replies: 10
Views: 365
0 Helping a friend...
Last Post: The Crusher
Replies: 14
Views: 286
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,583
Views: 651,937
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
JensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to behold
Default Turn signal won't blink when motor's on

Hi!

I replaced the stock turn signals on my 1999 XL1200C with small, 21 W, light bulb ones. Front and back.
They work as they should when I turn the key to acc., but when I turn the motor on, they give a steady light.
(Actually, they worked as they should with the motor on directly after I installed them, but began giving a steady light during the first ride for the year.)
My guess is that the cheap bulbs I used in the back isn't quite 21 W (although stated) and when the bike gives a bit more than 12 V, while on, the relay stops working as it should due to a too low resistance in the circuit.
Or could there be another explanation for this?
Please, let me know what your thoughts on the matter are.

Thanks, Jens
Old 23rd April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

The TSM is expecting the bulbs to use approx. 53w (combined front & rear on one side) and your bulbs (if rated correctly) are pulling 42w (combined front & rear on one side)...

You should be able to add one load resistor (6-ohm, 50-watt) to each side and the system should function correctly...

As a quick test (if you have a spare bulb in a socket) is to wire an extra bulb into either right or left side and see if the TSM works correctly - If so, pull the extra bulb and put one load resistor in each side (one right & one left)...

IXL _ ___ _____ _______ >>>> My Build & Ride Reports Are Here <<<<
2 Relax
FREE XLForum Organized Tech Info - Check Out The Sportsterpedia
Old 23rd April 2018
Biker

JensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to beholdJensWest is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL2Relax View Post
The TSM is expecting the bulbs to use approx. 53w (combined front & rear on one side) and your bulbs (if rated correctly) are pulling 42w (combined front & rear on one side)...

You should be able to add one load resistor (6-ohm, 50-watt) to each side and the system should function correctly...

As a quick test (if you have a spare bulb in a socket) is to wire an extra bulb into either right or left side and see if the TSM works correctly - If so, pull the extra bulb and put one load resistor in each side (one right & one left)...

2 Relax
53 W? How come?
I thought the original bulbs were 21 W.

I went with bulbs to avoid using resistors...

When I got the bike, it hade the original turn signals in front (will check the W on them later today) and a small pair of 21 W in the back and everything worked as it should.
Old 23rd April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Here's the link to the Sportsterpedia section on Turn Signals:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...ignal_function

And I've added a chart to the Reference Section related to alternative 1157 bulbs:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...3#turn_signals

The standard 1157 bulb pulls 26.88 watts of current when blinking... You must have found the edge point of working/not-working of your particular TSM because your choices are very close to working if the 'front regular + the rear new' did work before...

2 Relax
Old 23rd April 2018
Biker

Quote:
Here's the link to the Sportsterpedia section on Turn Signals:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...ignal_function

And I've added a chart to the Reference Section related to alternative 1157 bulbs:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...3#turn_signals

The standard 1157 bulb pulls 26.88 watts of current when blinking... You must have found the edge point of working/not-working of your particular TSM because your choices are very close to working if the 'front regular + the rear new' did work before...

2 Relax
Thank you so much for your fast and informative replies!

I looked at all 4 turn signals that were previously on, back when it worked, and all 4 bulbs says 21 W.
So I'm back at blaming the cheap bulbs I used in the back not being quite 21 W.

So, my plan is to remove one of the back turn signals (with the cheap bulb) and to wire in both turn signals I replaced, one at a time, and see how it works, with the other side as reference.
My hope is that it'll work with two true 21 W bulbs on each side.

If it doesn't work, I'll proceed with adding a resistor.
Isn't there a risk that it won't light up at all if I add in a 6 Ohm/50 W resistor, since there's only a few W missing?

And, should it be enough to wire a resistor to just the back turn signal, or should I put one in the back and front on each side?
Old 23rd April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensWest View Post
I looked at all 4 turn signals that were previously on, back when it worked, and all 4 bulbs says 21 W.
Wow - Were they the 1157 bulbs? What brand? Must have been a weak light output...

Quote:
If it doesn't work, I'll proceed with adding a resistor.
Isn't there a risk that it won't light up at all if I add in a 6 Ohm/50 W resistor, since there's only a few W missing?

And, should it be enough to wire a resistor to just the back turn signal, or should I put one in the back and front on each side?
The 6-ohm value pulls 2+amps (which is equiv to one 1157 bulb) - It's a very common value for load resistors and should be easy to find - But other values (that might pull less current - closer to the minimum you need) will be harder to find - I suppose a 12-15 ohm resistor would work, but hard to find rated at sufficient watts...

Since one resistor is going to be equal to a regular 1157 bulb, putting it anywhere in the right-side line (and one in the left-side line) should be sufficient to raise your current load amount so the TSM works correctly... It doesn't need to be right at the bulbs - anywhere in that supply line will do - It gets connect between the Brown Wire & Ground (Right Side) or Violet Wire & Ground (Left Side)...

2 Relax
Old 23rd April 2018
Biker

Quote:
Wow - Were they the 1157 bulbs? What brand? Must have been a weak light output...
No, they're the 1156 kind. Philips.

Quote:
The 6-ohm value pulls 2+amps (which is equiv to one 1157 bulb) - It's a very common value for load resistors and should be easy to find - But other values (that might pull less current - closer to the minimum you need) will be harder to find - I suppose a 12-15 ohm resistor would work, but hard to find rated at sufficient watts...

Since one resistor is going to be equal to a regular 1157 bulb, putting it anywhere in the right-side line (and one in the left-side line) should be sufficient to raise your current load amount so the TSM works correctly... It doesn't need to be right at the bulbs - anywhere in that supply line will do - It gets connect between the Brown Wire & Ground (Right Side) or Violet Wire & Ground (Left Side)...
I have resistors with the values 6/50, 8/25 and 10/10 (Ohm/W).
Could the 10/10 do?
The highest Ohm I've got and about twice the W I need to compensate for.

Isn't there a risk that I'd put in "too much resistance" if I'd put a resistor equal to a 1157 bulb next to (in parallell with) a 21 W bulb?

Please, don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning your answers.
I'm sure your solution is good enough, but I'm also interested in understanding the theory behind it as I'm new to this and have found it very interesting.
Thanks again.
Old 23rd April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Well - The TSM does the job that the old round blinker can did - It's based on a bi-metalic switch that opens when heated and closes when cooled - So, the current that is needed to heat the switch is limited by the switch itself - the switch will open when it gets hot enough - If you use too little resistance (too many watts) the switch will heat up faster, meaning the ON time will be shorter... When the switch opens, the current is interrupted, no matter how much it was...

I'm sure there's some limit to safe operation, but I suspect it would be higher than equivalent to three regular bulbs... Most electrical engineers design with a 50% safety factor, meaning if this circuit is designed to handle 55-watts normally, the fail-safe design is for 100-watts...

If you really overloaded the circuit current and then ran the 4-way flashers for hours, your TSM may overheat & fail...

Quote:
Could the 10-ohm/10w do?
Here's the Ohm's Law chart from the Sportsterpedia Reference Section:

So - 12v / 10-ohms = 1.2amps --then-- 12v * 1.2a = 14.4Watts

So your resistor will draw 50% more power than the maximum rating & you should really only draw 50% under the maximum... that 10w rating should only be used where you will pull less than .5a at 12v...

That's why we spec a 50-watt resistor (At 12v, (6-ohms will pull 2a) * 12v = 24+ Watts) which stays near the 50% usage recommendation...

Pulling more current than the 50% of the rated device causes extra heat, which as some point (if enough over) will translate into failure, or worse, catching fire...

2 Relax

Last edited by IXL2Relax; 23rd April 2018 at 21:55..
Old 23rd April 2018
Biker

OK.
So, in practic, a 6 Ohm/50 W resistor would solve my problem now and also have me covered if I one day would decide that I'd like to go with a rear LED turn signal?
Sponsored Links
Old 24th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
sportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdoc has a reputation beyond repute

What are battery voltages:
1. Key on accessories?
2. Key on ignition position?
3. Engine at idle?
4. Engine at ~2500 RPM?