The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 ***DK CUSTOM-4 New LIMITED QUANTITY Pegs-10% SAVINGS ON ALL PEGS***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 53
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10,732
Views: 852,879
0 Jockey Shifter on a Right Side Shift Bike?
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 56
Views: 15,377
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Last Post: xena
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 171
Views: 36,673
0 Parrothead and the 2019 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: doc
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 983
0 Torque Cones
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 170
0 I recieved my new 1960 XLCH from New-Orleans
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 552
Views: 74,688
0 Wet sumping?
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 94
Views: 3,749
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 347
Views: 71,623
0 New 2,500cc Triumph Rocket 3 TFC
Last Post: jzink0883
Replies: 5
Views: 229
0 Do Loud Pipes in fact save lives?
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 2,491
Views: 259,932
0 need service information for my '71 Ironheqad
Replies: 8
Views: 131
0 Cutting Fender Frame
Last Post: Gerondakis
Views: 40
0 What oil temp do you run
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 109
Views: 23,183
0 2014 swingarm axle in earlier rubber mount
Last Post: BKB
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 92
0 Innovative motorsports 3918
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 25
Views: 522
0 Poll: What weight fork oil do you use?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 120
Views: 33,604
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 11,727
Views: 1,053,321
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 3,023
Views: 289,064
0 Ironhead Survey: Most desired bike
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 80
Views: 11,917
0 72 XLH1000 Wiring Kit
Last Post: owlsplace
Replies: 11
Views: 253
0 Do you use premium gas in your Sportster?
Last Post: Renecito
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,767
Views: 357,783
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,881
Views: 282,706
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 44,065
Views: 6,898,685
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,876
Views: 157,668
0 How many when You park.... (Leave Your Bike In Gear)
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 367
Views: 49,588
0 Happy Birthday 'jzink0883'
Last Post: ChinCactus
Views: 36
0 Marshwood Vale, 17th June 2019
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 5
Views: 79
0 Been Sitting For 5-10 years; Starts, But Dies
Last Post: Feskerlars
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 848
0 Front brake is terrible
Last Post: Hopper
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 771
More...
Members Birthdays
breilly888 (67), txsporty (63), michtif (54), Rabs (46)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2017
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RR 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
barefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond reputebarefoot has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything (it wouldn't do any good anyhow ) but I had a bike very similar to yours. 320 lbs, (didn't even have a generator, save weight ! but had to be home by dark). 9:1, 61 inches. It was tiny and I loved it but bump starting that thing got real old. The 350 was fine. You won't put nearly as many miles on it as if you had a kicker. Guys'd say "Wanna go for a ride ?" and I'd take the 350.

And rollers aren't as much fun as you think either. They are sort of a pain in the ass.

Have you ever had a car with no reverse ? It's about the same thing, only more athletic. And I was 20 at the time.

But do listen about the megaphones. Awful on the street, and they even sound bad. XR's used real long reverse cones and worked okay at 7000 rpm but that's not typical around the neighborhood. They fall off the pipe HARD. Staggered duals work nice, look decent, and sound good. Plus they carburate.
Old 4th March 2017
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom Sputhe XR
Sportster/Buell Year: 19**
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1965
chevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to beholdchevelle is a splendid one to behold

I'm currently working on a street tracker.
I saw mrmom9r ran a small batt and a electronic breaker on his XR clones, I had to try the same setup on mine.
The batt fits great up under the tailsection.
It's the exact opposite to the bare bones direction you are planning, just thought I would mention it.
On the kicker issue, I was planning on using a aircraft quick release pins for rear set pegs to clear kick pedal, we will see not 100% done yet, also I don't like the backwards shift (is your plate reverse pattern?), and don't want another bike with linkage rearsets...
Old 4th March 2017
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: FLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 61
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH Kit Bike
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 60
scottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to beholdscottfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcr guy View Post
Hello everyone. XLforum is pretty amazing, there are threads for EVERYTHING.

Here goes... I have a bump start only project bike with a 1967 lower end. It has alloy barrels and Thunderheads and it is in a XR750 chassis, so the bike will be pretty light. It only has 10.5:1 compression and it is not a stroker, only 1000cc's. I have a magneto that was gone through when the motor was built 25 years ago. The mag is chrome plated (not by me...) and I am thinking that I just need to sell it and buy a nice new Morris MME with the MRA and eliminate the potential drama of using the old magneto (even if I had it refreshed).

I know that when set up properly a standard mag should not be a problem but the new MM3 should be : A little better ? A LOT better? or practically start itself...

Comments ? Suggestions ?

Thanks for the help, Craig

you have posted your magneto questions in a thread that is full of some great information regarding the subject.

I'm posting from a phone so the pic is small, but it appears your maggy is fixed mount. With all the comments speaking to the lack of kicker choice, I won't comment to that other than having an adjustable maggy will make your life easier especially at red lights and in traffic. You will want to be able to have as much control of your timing/tuning as possible because it sucks when the motor stalls at a light in traffic....and it would suck even more when you can't just drop the kicker to light it up again.

Within this thread there are some great tips to help you assess your own maggy. You will want your maggy as well tuned and operating smoothly as you can get it. Can you get a spark across the coil with a snap by hand? That is the goal. There are some great posts by Dr D. in this thread and in other sticky threads AND in his dedicated posts section that can help you to achieve this. Hopefully, when the body was chromed the rotor and body was properly maintained to prevent any loss of magnetism.

s
See No Evo, Hear No Evo, Speak No Evo, Ride No Evo
Old 4th March 2017
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

Morris MM3 is the king of ironhead magnetos.it has rare earth magnets.mine has auto-advance.ask choptop37 about the retard in the cap model.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: knucklehead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1936
Larry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to beholdLarry May is a splendid one to behold

Amen to straddle kick, I was on crutches for 6 weeks from a slip from side kicking
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry May View Post
Amen to straddle kick, I was on crutches for 6 weeks from a slip from side kicking
I can’t straddle and kick without getting a bad bruise on the back of my knee from the top shock mount.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL racebike in progress
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Scott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud of

That is a beautiful and interesting motorcycle. It's clear that a lot of thought and planning has gone into it. I never cared for XLCR bodywork, but it looks just right on that bike,
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

Morris Magneto has a Kit that allows you to Retard by the Flip of a Lever that pokes up Thru the Cap, what I like about this is that the mag base stays fixed and that is good for your seal, check their Web Site ..
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL racebike in progress
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Scott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud ofScott has much to be proud of

What else can you share about the bike? Forks? Cylinders? Brakes?
Sponsored Links