The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 ultima iggy plate near the end of travel
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 679
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,835
Views: 1,277,580
0 hello and help!
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 95
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 63
Views: 236,238
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44,984
Views: 7,084,690
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 147
Views: 14,943
0 Hello!!!
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 186
0 Here goes...
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 8
Views: 123
0 Fubar (Rear Cylinder Not Firing)
Last Post: 93trident
Replies: 13
Views: 454
0 My 1250 to 1275 build
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 143
Views: 8,987
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: 51 New West
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 341
Views: 73,452
0 2003 XLH Battery install help
Last Post: jkinkade
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 275
0 74 XLH disk brake lower anchor pin
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 226
0 Suggestions on no start
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 1,775
0 Compression Tester Differences
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 78
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: thood
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,347
Views: 815,842
0 Speedometer issue
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 3
Views: 214
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: Kingrabbit
Replies: 448
Views: 87,172
0 CV carb rubber bung
Replies: 16
Views: 424
0 Fitment between 2005 & 2006
Replies: 6
Views: 117
0 HAMMERING the Columbia!
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 53
Views: 10,412
0 1996 Sportster 1200 ignition/ idle/ warm up/ lost cylinder???
Replies: 3
Views: 136
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: A Seabee
Replies: 4,296
Views: 511,851
0 Ulysses Oil Fittings?
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 44
0 What is it and Where (Wiring Other Tail Light And Turn Signals)
Last Post: broknluck
Replies: 20
Views: 987
0 5 gal tank
Last Post: Tonyb65
Replies: 46
Views: 14,881
0 Mounting fatbob tanks on a '74
Replies: 30
Views: 8,558
0 Larger gas tank for 1996?
Replies: 24
Views: 1,714
0 is a buell a harley
Last Post: Scott
Replies: 154
Views: 16,913
0 100th Anniversary
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 76
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
frito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Trouble codes

'07 XL low. So I stop and fuel up on the way home from work one day this week. A mile of so down the road the engine light and battery light come on. I stop and give everything a cursory once over and don't spot anything obvious. I take off and a few seconds later the lights come back on. It's hot so I say screw it and take off for home 20 miles away. I get home stash the bike and go to the FSM. I study about codes and find out why they came back after a few seconds and how to retrieve the codes present. Everything is normal except for P0562 and P0563, high and low voltage. Today I start trying to see what is going on. I checked the battery terminals and the ground to engine. I started pulling fuses and relays just to look and found most of them had corrosion present. I cleaned all of them and applied a healthy dose of dielectric grease. I tried to clear the codes, but no joy. I decide to fire it up and see what happens, but evidently I killed the battery coming home. ~10 volts as it sets and won't do anything but chatter the solenoid. The battery is 5 months old and not really suspect in my mind. So i'm charging it up to see what happens tomorrow. It's in the back of my mind that the regulator is suspect since it was tampered with shortly after I bought this bike with ~1500 miles last year. It had an open recall for a regulator re-positioning bracket. Probably nothing, but a coincidence.

Ideas as to why the codes can't be cleared?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
DFuller1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be the rectifier/regular or the stater or both. Heat is what usually kills the reg/rec I would unplug where the stator comes into the reg/rec and check for voltage. Set your meter to AC and fire the bike up. It will usually give you a high AC voltage that will spike when the engine is revved. If the stator is putting out I would suspect the reg/rec box. Codes that can't be cleared or come back immediately are hard codes meaning there is a hard fault somewhere that needs to be addressed. If the bike isn't charging that would be why the codes can't be cleared. If it is the rectifier then check the battery really closely. When they go bad is stupid east to take the battery out to. Actually pull it and look and make sure it's not swelled up. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

When you're having issues with the electrical system, use this Sportsterpedia section about
checking the battery cables, voltages and grounds - DO THIS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...place_to_start

Do a thorough check of the battery voltages and grounds PLUS the critical factor of the Powertrain Ground...

Here's the Sportsterpedia section on the circuit breakers, relays & charging system:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/t...harging_system

If the fuses were corroded, you may want to replace the relays (preventative maintenance even if they are functioning)...

Sportsterpedia - Check your Alternator/Stator

Be sure the battery is being charged by the bike...

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcycle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice given, your F.S.M. Will give you the testing for your stator and regulator. A glance into “Sportsterpedia” may prove helpful as well.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito1 View Post
Ideas as to why the codes can't be cleared?
Because the fault causing them is still present?

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
shanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond repute

If your battery had 10 volts, after you cleared the codes, the P0562 would be back right away.

DTC P0562 is displayed when battery voltage is less than
12.2V at idle and voltage does not increase when engine
speed is greater than 2000 rpm.

DTC P0563 is displayed when battery voltage is greater
than 15.0V for more than 4 seconds.

DTC P0562 and P0563
Any of the following conditions could cause these DTCs to set:
• The vehicle is placed on a battery charger, on fast charge,
for a long period of time.
• The charging system is malfunctioning.
• There is excessive battery draw and/or extended idling in
heavy traffic.
• A faulty system ground is present.
Low voltage generally indicates a loose wire, corroded connections,
battery and/or a charging system problem.
High voltage DTC may set when the vehicle is placed on a
battery charger, for a long period of time.

Find your Owner's Manual, Wiring Diagram and Parts List here :

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm
Enter your VIN OR
Use the search - enter year and model

If something doesn't work on your Sportster look here:
SportsterPedia.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

After you think you've repaired the problem, you still have to clear the codes individually. If the problem still exists, the code will come back.

Instructions for Pre 2014 Harley Models:

Get Into DTC Viewing Mode:

Press and hold the odometer button in (can be located in different positions depending on your model/year)
While holding odometer button in, turn ignition to “on” position
Keep holding the odometer button in until you see “diAG” appear in the odometer window
Release the odometer button and you are in the DTC viewing mode

Viewing and clearing DTC's: (Clear codes at your own risk)(Make sure you know what you are doing or consult a Harley mechanic)

Press & release the odometer button to enter the DTC mode module
Press & release the odometer button to cycle through the different modules
To check any module press & hold the odometer button until it enters
If it says “none” then that module has no DTC's
If it says “yes” then press & release the odometer button to get the DTC
You will also have an option to “clear” the code
Press & release the odometer button again and it cycles to the HD part number for that module
Press & release the odometer button and it cycles back to the main module
Continue as stated above to continue to check each module for DTC's
Turn ignition off to exit DTC mode
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

frito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura aboutfrito1 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to all for the input. Forrest for the trees. I didn't realize battery voltage was 10 until after trying to reset the codes. Duh.

So I charged the battery overnight and now I have 12.7 volts. Key on I have 12.5. The bike starts effortlessly. Engine idling I have 12.38 and @ an estimated 2.5-3K rpm I have a whopping 12.4. Not what I wanted to see. Back to the FSM for reference. Stator passes the resistance test. Just because it's easy access and I'd done it before long ago to my first HD, a FXR shovel, I did a AC output test. Woo hoo, I have voltage to spare. 30-40 AC at idle and increasing smoothly with engine RPM. Now the regulator is certainly in the suspect category. Never felt of a regulator while the the engine was running, but it's on the lift and accessible so why not. It's hot as a two dollar pistol. Normal or not? I dunno.

I'm going to hit the Sportsterpedia and check more connections since I had this thing scattered about doing the 1250 kit a while back. I'm gonna try to make sure the regulator is truly at fault before putting out the $$ for a new one.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Iron 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
DFuller1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito1 View Post
Thanks to all for the input. Forrest for the trees. I didn't realize battery voltage was 10 until after trying to reset the codes. Duh.

So I charged the battery overnight and now I have 12.7 volts. Key on I have 12.5. The bike starts effortlessly. Engine idling I have 12.38 and @ an estimated 2.5-3K rpm I have a whopping 12.4. Not what I wanted to see. Back to the FSM for reference. Stator passes the resistance test. Just because it's easy access and I'd done it before long ago to my first HD, a FXR shovel, I did a AC output test. Woo hoo, I have voltage to spare. 30-40 AC at idle and increasing smoothly with engine RPM. Now the regulator is certainly in the suspect category. Never felt of a regulator while the the engine was running, but it's on the lift and accessible so why not. It's hot as a two dollar pistol. Normal or not? I dunno.

I'm going to hit the Sportsterpedia and check more connections since I had this thing scattered about doing the 1250 kit a while back. I'm gonna try to make sure the regulator is truly at fault before putting out the $$ for a new one.
It will get hot because it's coming down the voltage to something the battery can handle but could be a sign of something gone sideways if its super hot really quick. I'd go threw and do all the appropriate testing on the regulator. It always feels good when you are able to narrow things down relatively easy. Process of elimination is always the best way for sure.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 2 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Just got a me new regulator from Surdyke in Festus, MO. USPS screwed the pooch on this one. It went from Festus, to Southhaven MS, to Little Rock AR, and when it should have turned back towards NE Arkansas, it went to Tulsa OK for a little sight seeing. Any way it's installed and all is normal. Correct charging voltage at all RPM's. In the process I got a -A version of the regulator that has the fins cut out to avoid the fender of the Low. As my local dealer wrench told me I could if I ever updated the regulator, I was able to toss the scabbed on relocation bracket and bolt it up direct.
I got the codes reset after I figured out that I needed to reset them individually rather that as a group. The FSM wasn't terribly clear as to the procedure. Another $99 thrown in to the MC money pit, but I'm back on the road.