The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 1980 XLH Rocker Head question
Last Post: jc1980xlh
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 TC88A Programming Hardware
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 85
0 Hi , from NZ
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 38
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 130
0 Ironhead in the uk
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 182
0 Right rear turn signal out 2002 XL1200C
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 100
0 Send a note to Sportsterpedia Admin
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 111
Views: 18,806
0 Where can i find this led Tail light ?
Last Post: NightsterJoe
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 19
0 roadside belt change
Last Post: jazzman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 2,258
0 2020 east coast meet and greet.
Last Post: commando57
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 46
Views: 2,263
0 What do you get when you buy a bike ?
Last Post: Whitewalls
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 293
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,358
Views: 863,820
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Replies: 156
Views: 15,824
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 96
Views: 3,710
0 Trans/Year Interchangeability Question
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 182
Views: 5,942
0 1970 XLH 900 color?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 103
0 Hi From Atlanta
Last Post: ZCarFan
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 138
0 Sleeve cylinders?
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 20
Views: 994
0 Options for SE a/c cover
Last Post: tussuck
Replies: 3
Views: 189
0 Riding Classic Harley 1939EL Knucklehead
Last Post: hexnut
Replies: 8
Views: 317
0 Do Sportster Low XL883L models have a shorter jiffy stand spring?
Last Post: tussuck
Views: 253
0 External breathing systems
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 527
0 never mind
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 133
Views: 10,162
0 Sportster Cobra seat
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 31
Views: 1,014
0 What kind of saddle do you use on your sporty?
Last Post: duffy
Replies: 285
Views: 82,528
0 Have you ever had your drive belt (secondary drive) break
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 696
Views: 183,762
0 Range feature on the speedo/tach combo
Last Post: Firehawk
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Views: 163
0 H-D 2019 Financial Results
Last Post: jzink0883
Views: 50
0 K&N Air Filter for old SE style backing plate?
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 9
Views: 371
0 cam lobes
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 34
Views: 2,054
More...
Members Birthdays
77xlch, buell_fxr (74), Danny (63), Wino (51), no_chrome (45), USMC_Davii (43), dijitaldna (38), 08nightmare
Tags
lower, lowering shocks, r k, road king

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Standard
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Mohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the rough
Default Road King shocks custom cut to size

Upon researching Road King (RK) shocks here on the web and on EBay, I think I may have found the perfect solution to this neverending debate. Not only the debate in my head (I want them, I dont want them) but also the debate here as to making them lower for a sporty without using the lowering blocks. Debate again (they are safe, they are not safe).
The standard shock RK & FLH shocks are 12.75" the lowered ones (on a Street Glide)are 11.75" . This company will take apart the shock and can lower them upto 2.5" from stock length. The standard size has a softer spring rate than the smaller ones. This is why the Street Glides have a harsher ride quality, shorter stiffer spring. I talked with the owner who seems to think that the standard shock cut down to 10.5" will be soft enough for myself at 160# with room to add air to take a passenger by adding more air. That would realisticly leave about 1.5 to 1.75" of travel. Granted you could cut down to any length and increase travel or decrease travel, to your prefrence.
I would like to here some opinions from those who have the standard 12.75" and the lowered 11.75" shocks to compare the ride quality and harshness of hitting bumps. Remember I am 160 and over 300 with passenger.
If you have had this done chime in please.
The web site for the company is.
http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/
I hope this helps others get dialed in with these shocks.
You can send yours in to be cut down for $175 or buy from them direct for about $275 if you dont have the shocks to send in.
Thier ebay site is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...252550147&rd=1
good luck

Last edited by Mohntonite; 28th August 2008 at 20:27..
Old 9th September 2008
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Stang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enough

I saw them too and hope someone chimes in with advice. I already have my shocks and need to make a decision before I install them.
Old 9th September 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I talked with the owner who seems to think that the standard shock cut down to 10.5" will be soft enough for myself at 160# with room to add air to take a passenger by adding more air.
The first question is what is he doing to cut down the shock? Is he reusing the same spring? What other internal modifications does he do? Why do you want to lower the bike and still expect it to carry 2 up? Which bike are you going to put them on?

I weigh 260 lbs and think the 13" RK shocks ride too stiff because the spring rate is too stiff. I bought them from a guy who weighs 150 lbs, way too stiff for him. Shortening the shock will only make it worse because you will also likely bottom out much more quickly. If he is reusing the same spring, the initial part of the shock's travel will not change, it will be just as stiff.

Adding too much air pressure to carry extra weight may reducing dampening because the shock tends to bounce on air pressure rather than moving the oil through the shims and ports which create dampening.
Former Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 9th September 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Mohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLXR View Post
The first question is what is he doing to cut down the shock? Is he reusing the same spring? What other internal modifications does he do? Why do you want to lower the bike and still expect it to carry 2 up? Which bike are you going to put them on?

I weigh 260 lbs and think the 13" RK shocks ride too stiff because the spring rate is too stiff. I bought them from a guy who weighs 150 lbs, way too stiff for him. Shortening the shock will only make it worse because you will also likely bottom out much more quickly. If he is reusing the same spring, the initial part of the shock's travel will not change, it will be just as stiff.

Adding too much air pressure to carry extra weight may reducing dampening because the shock tends to bounce on air pressure rather than moving the oil through the shims and ports which create dampening.
I think I remember him saying that there is an internal stop inside. A rubber stop I think that is repositioned. Yes the same springs are used. I wanted the shorter shocks for the lowered look. And air adjustability for adding a passenger. On my hugger. I am 160 and 5 pounds of pressure on my EG standard is like a cloud. I know they are seperate bikes and wieght and set up, but should it be that great a diff between the 2 bikes as far as the ride quality.
I was told that if cut down to 11" should still have about 2" of travel. I want to lower my EG standard as well but the Street Glide shocks have a heavier shock spring rate. As compared to the 13" shocks on the rest of the touring bikes.
Old 9th September 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

I just rememberd that I now have an Electra Glide Standard and that will be used for two up, so I guess I wont be putting them on the sporty but will get them cut for the Standard. The seat hieght is just a tad to high, I can easily flat foot but my thigh is to close to the exhaust which empties right under my left leg.
Old 10th September 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond reputeXLXR has a reputation beyond repute

http://xlforum.net/forums/s...=273913&page=3

Here's a link with pictures of RK air shocks which I cut apart to figure out if it was possible to make internal adjustments and then get them back together. In my pictures, you can see the rubber bumper, it is very small and won't protect your back much in a hard bottoming out situation.

If you INSIST on the lowered look, theses shocks might work on for you on the heavier bikes. However, two up on a lowered bike will always have serious limitations unless you are lucky enough to get the perfect spring. I suppose you are going to pay your money, and take your chances.

I suppose the guy has made some special jigs to get them apart. I suppose he cuts the smallest shaft which screws into the top shock body/mount.
Old 15th September 2008
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Stang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enoughStang951 will become famous soon enough

I decided on the lowering blocks for mine (at least for now). I might try to get a set of lowered airs from the guy listed above at a later date.....

OH Mohntonite I would like to say that I had a Road Glide so I would'nt have to worry about this, but I didn't win the powerball last night. Maybe Wedensday!!!LOL