The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 1100 bathtub heads on a 883?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 52
0 Ironhead engine problem?
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 88
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 25,426
Views: 1,487,655
0 900 clutch in a 1000 engine Strociek
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 224
0 a definitive sportster chain conversion pros and cons list
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 211
0 North central Mass
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 91
0 04 Sportster refurb and build.
Last Post: JimVonBaden
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 1,102
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 52,429
Views: 8,841,754
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 75
Views: 14,091
0 1968 ex barn dweller thread
Last Post: davixlrtt
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 204
Views: 20,656
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,808
Views: 952,486
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,935
Views: 3,866,005
0 Setting Timing, 1964 & Earlier Mag
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 16,218
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 300
Views: 57,260
0 XR1000 black and orange pics?
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 438
0 my sunday driver...
Last Post: 84rzv500r
Replies: 132
Views: 26,147
0 XR1000 Pushrod Tube Leaks
Last Post: KRTTXRTT
Views: 423
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: cal43
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 9,068
Views: 2,117,158
0 video & pics
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 556
Views: 57,210
0 1997 Air Cleaner Backplate
Last Post: rathawk
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 136
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 12,598
Views: 2,971,773
0 Dining out
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Views: 108
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 59
Views: 3,925
0 Happy Thanksgiving
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 5
Views: 145
0 Strociek Project Help Needed
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 24
Views: 820
0 Which Sportster car costs about 2000$?
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 7
Views: 339
0 Allegheny National Park III
Last Post: sprink
Replies: 17
Views: 348
0 What's your opinion on windshields?
Last Post: mikethebike61
Replies: 1,281
Views: 255,487
0 MId-range breaking up under acceleration
Last Post: gary59
Replies: 16
Views: 765
5 35mm Showa Installation Procedure? Tighten Sequence?
Last Post: BigMek
Replies: 3
Views: 134
More...
Members Birthdays
excel50 (80), blazer95 (71), mycle1000, Barryn37 (60), QBALL (60), paulieb (59), cfranz (48), BMXATV (47), ravyn3 (42), Texas_Wild, hillpope (39)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2021
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

The only trick to that is backing out the lock nut far enough to get the spread on the grip tips wide enough to contact the cover good.
Old 8th October 2021
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Tyler45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
“…clutch drags bad, when adjusted by the book…”
Changing the primary oil from 70wt is a good start, but before you do anything else, try piniongear’s clutch adjustment:

1) Loosen the lock nut on the cable adjuster.

2) Turn the cable adjuster inward (towards the primary) until there is a lot of slack in the cable at the clutch lever.

3) Now remove the center plug in the primary cover.

4) Loosen the lock nut on the center adjusting screw.

5) Turn in the adjusting screw until you feel it get harder to turn the screw. (The screw is now touching the outer plate)

6) Continue to turn in the screw a full 2 turns. Stop.

7) Go back to the cable adjuster and unscrew the adjuster while watching the slack disappear at the lever.
When you have removed all slack at the lever stop turning the adjuster. You want to have neither play or load in the cable at the clutch lever at this stage. Just a nice neutral no play/no tightness at the lever.

8) Now tighten the lock nut on the adjuster. DO NOT TOUCH this again. You are through with the cable adjuster.

9) Going back to the center screw......... Turn the screw out until you feel it turn easier. Stop.
Turn the screw back in until you feel it touch the outer plate. Stop.
Now turn the screw back out 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Stop.

10) Without allowing the screw to move, tighten down the lock nut. Replace the primary plug and you are done.

You will notice that you now have about 1/8 inch cable play at the lever. This is a result of you doing the adjustment correctly this time.
Many people fail to understand how to adjust a Sportster clutch and most fiddle with the cable adjuster to obtain cable slack at the lever. This is the wrong thing to do.

If you do this adjustment following what I have said your clutch will be as perfectly adjusted as is possible.
If you think it still drags after this then all I can say to you is that is the way it is.
We are talking about a Harley Davidson here, not a Honda.
So do not expect your Sportster to go into first gear with a light 'snick' like your friend's Gold Wing does. It is going to be a loud 'CLUNK' because it is a Harley, not a Honda.
pg
"

Post your results!
Alright, we will follow that procedure when start working on the Ironhead next week. Got to finish installing the bumper winch from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler before we can clear the garage and address the dragging clutch.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Dnepr MT-10-36
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Ark OB is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my new clutch cable and revtech. When replacing the cable I found that the kink was almost gone the pulling straightened it mostly out, and replaced the full syn 20/50 with the revtech. I gave her a quick run around the block, and the clutch felt a little worse. first chance I get I'll readjust the clutch, recheck the oil level, and try to do a longer road test.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 5 bikes and 1 quad
wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Note that nobody is saying to readjust because even though it has not been stated yet, drag on the clutch is always due to failed parts. Wear always results in slip, and never in drag.

You need to pull all the plates, and do a thorough examination of everything in there. Does the hub and basket have any scaring that can hang up the plates? Does that bike have a spring plate? Those fail a lot in the newer bikes, and I don't hear of any failures in earlier bikes but it's still something that has to be ruled out.

A frayed clutch cable or a grungy one can do it, debris from bad plates inside the basket can do it, a throwout bearing that is getting sloppy will definitely do it, and yes, that is wear, (but not normal wear) so again, if it is the bearing it is a part failure.

In old Fords using standard trans with clutch had the throw out arm pivot bend flat from it's L shape and that always caused exactly this. So, all the info I see in here is good advice, I'm just warning against wasting energy looking at readjusting after it is adjusted correctly. If it goes out of adjustment causing drag, then adjusting more is a waste of time.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Norton BMW Yamaha
Other Motorcycle Year: 70's
andy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura aboutandy2175m4 has a spectacular aura about

two bikes I worked on recently both had warped steel clutch plates, both were 40 year old bikes, so age must be the problem. Yes 70 wt is the wrong oil, I use HD primary oil, it's a 50 wt singe grade gear oil, but many use 20W50 too, so you do have the right oil, if you are not sure you got all the old 70 wt oil out, take off the clutch cover and lean the bike over so the transmission can drain too. there is an opening between the clutch and the trans, the old oil will drain if you let it.

Re. the clutch plates, if you can take the steel clutch plates out, check each one for flatness. they should be dead flat on a surface plate or really good table top. replace warped steel clutch plates, otherwise the clutch will never fully disengage and you will never find neutral.

The friction plates dont seem to have this warping problem but sometimes the non metallic surface on the friction plates can delaminate and fall off.

Also I find the Ironhead throwout mechanism with it's 3 large ball bearings in a ramp configuration a bit finicky,

be sure to check assembly as well to ensure its working.

replacing warped clutch plates makes it work perfect, but you have to buy or make a clutch pack compressor, you can get that on line from various vendors or make one from 2 pieces of 1/4 thd rod, 2 nuts and 2 washers, and 12" of sturdy angle iron.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Dnepr MT-10-36
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Ark OB is an unknown quantity at this point

I re-adjusted it, and it feels better, shifts great, sometimes feel her wanting to creep when rev at a light, and still trouble to get neutral from a stop, but can when rolling. Just put in a new motion pro cable I got on ebay, and feels like it might be stretching/seating in only had a chance to run her 20 miles on the new cable. I was told it might take a while to un-gum up from that 70wt I didn't tip it, but changed twice, once to 20/50 then to the revtech. My road is too bad to ride any 2 wheeler on so have to keep her at my daughters in town, she has a basic set of tools, and I have my m/c jack over there. She wants to learn and helps me, today she was gone so had the place to myself. I will eventually need the clutch compressor, where can I find the spects, and measurements so I can make one at home and take over there?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

The very first post in this thread, by Hopper...

Special Tools - Homemade Tool Thread
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395586

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]