The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Ride Report for the 2019 Void rally
Last Post: clif02
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 33
0 Carburetor opinions
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 30
Views: 971
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: farmerbill5
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13,970
Views: 783,139
0 Rico Lutsey aka Rico 05R
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Posted On: 14 Minutes Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 927
0 Dying battery, starter, mystery gremlin?
Last Post: oldboy
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 191
12 air leak from intake
Last Post: IronMick
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 77
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Views: 237,531
0 Hi from Calgary
Last Post: Veeflys
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 118
0 Rear Shocks Recomendations
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Replies: 5
Views: 91
0 Clutch cable deal
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 0
Views: 29
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Replies: 1,321
Views: 167,339
0 My new LED headlight
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 18
Views: 528
0 1960 XLCH in the UK
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 164
Views: 15,096
0 KT - 2019 - Done Riding - Not Hardly
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 109
Views: 10,967
0 Where you carry your tool bag?
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 86
Views: 17,466
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,486
Views: 209,243
0 hot start and starter "coughs"
Replies: 2
Views: 79
0 Xr1200 exhaust on a 91
Last Post: Davo_137
Replies: 1
Views: 53
0 05 xl1200C No Start - Blowing Batt Fuse
Replies: 24
Views: 568
0 manifold leaks
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 17
Views: 380
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 2,491
Views: 324,262
0 Hello from New York
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 426
0 70 XLCH Piston, Connecting rod issue
Last Post: Wilkinson949
Replies: 72
Views: 3,992
0 83 xlx
Last Post: Island Dude
Replies: 7
Views: 184
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 14,467
Views: 1,350,874
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: MatHormell
Replies: 3,153
Views: 306,399
0 Do you like Mexican food?
Replies: 55
Views: 1,202
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,421
Views: 831,020
0 Bike sold leaving forum
Last Post: Glamazon
Replies: 15
Views: 336
0 Massachusetts rides 2019
Last Post: ParrotHead
Views: 1,656
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2019
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xls roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: Oh yeah!
Serious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud of
Default Occasional carb spit back, am I missing something?

My bike has always done this since I got it but I've managed to reduce it quite a bit but it still "randomly" happens, often in traffic accelerating moderately. It did it when I had the Mikuni VM38 and it does it with the Keihin CV (That is now very nicely set up). Here's what it IS NOT. Manifold leak, too weak idle jet (did it with a # 50 idle jet in the CVK too!), probably not the cams - Q cams. Have had a look down the inlet ports when the carbs were off and there was no tell tale signs of poor valve sealing (Am about to pull the heads for an overhaul soon anyway). I have Ultima ignition and when I went over to that and a VOES it improved things so I'm taking that as an indication of a timing issue. My home brewed curve with more timing on the VOES curve may have made things SLIGHTLY worse. I was looking into this single fire/dual fire thing and wondering if there was something there, to the point I've ordered a single fire coil. It's a long shot as the dual fire coil appears only to be an issue on long duration cams but the description of what happens when there is a wasted spark on the rear cylinder and a combustable mixture in the chamber seems to match my symptoms. As near as I can see things it's the rear cylinder that spits back. Can anybody suggest anything I'm missing. Oh yeah, new plugs (BPR6HIX 1.1MM gap), standard 3ohm coil. New leads short and straight, no cross over.

Motor specs are: STD pistons, thin head gasket, Q cams, Ultima ignition with VOES and home-brewed curve, Keihin CVK, N65C needle, #46 idle jet, #175 main jet (very slightly rich), S&S filter housing with K&N type fliter.

The bike otherwise behaves very sweetly with good fuel economy and enough grunt when I ask for it. The motor is CONSIDERABLY smoother than when I bought the bike.

It's just this one last thing that is annoying me then I'll leave it alone.

Edit: I promise!
Old 23rd June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883►1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
IXL2Relax has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Blac View Post
My bike has always done this since I got it but I've managed to reduce it quite a bit but it still "randomly" happens, often in traffic accelerating moderately. It did it when I had the Mikuni VM38 and it does it with the Keihin CV (That is now very nicely set up).
<SNIP>

Keihin CVK, N65C needle, #46 idle jet, #175 main jet (very slightly rich)
I see you're not using a HD CV40 carb - the CVK has a coasting enrichener port - This may be playing into the issue...

Here's a link to read over:
https://www.nighthawk750.com/maint/keihincarb.html

That 46 pilot jet might be just a tad on the rich side as most CV40 carbs are happy with a 45...

Does the problem occur just off idle? Or farther up the transition function?

IXL _______ >>>> My Motorcyle Chronicles Are Here <<<<
For FREE Sportster Tech Info from the XLForum:
Explore The Sportsterpedia - The Best Kept Secret on the XLForum!
Old 23rd June 2019
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: xl1200cp
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
The Doctor71 has disabled reputation

I'm interested in your findings (when you get there) on dual fire vs single fire coil & if that proves beneficial.

In the meantime, I'll share what I do, and don't do, to reduce the carb spit back / farts, on my bikes.

What I don't do......
  • I don't mess with my carb.
  • the 2nd thing I don't do, I don't mess with my carb (there is a message in there )
For some history,
  • I run a Tillotson on my '71 & a Bendix on my '74. Both bikes will exhibit carb farts, occasionally, but it's rare. Should the frequency of carb farts increase, for me, it's a sign the timing is off..... usually triggered by the pre-mature wear of the point rubbing block. I liberally lube the point cam every 400-500 miles to ward this off.
What I do......
  • I meticulously address point gap & timing. No short cuts. And then verify that the timing is on the money, with a timing light. (static timing is never close enough for me.)
    • I know what works for my bikes, & this gets the frequency of carb farts on my bikes back to the "rare" category.
In your situation, I can only suggest:
  • put a timing light on your Ultima ignition & VERIFY the timing is where you think it is.
And if a single fire coil eliminates this phenomena for you ..... I'd like to hear about it
Old 23rd June 2019
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
gpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to beholdgpydeski is a splendid one to behold

I have been chasing that monster for 15 years on my 70 xlch and my 77 shovel. I have changed carbs changed heads, rejetted, adjusted timing and changed points/ condenser to till I turned blue. These 2 engines are 49 and 42 years old and both run from point a to point b. There is bound be some Orange County choppers wanna be crack mechanic on this side who is gonna say his bike never misses a beat. Ignore him and except the occasional spit or backfire as a blessing because it is only once in a while and not every block.
Old 23rd June 2019
Chief Master Mechanic

Serious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud ofSerious Blac has much to be proud of

Hmmmm, not going to give in that easy. It's just another engine, all be it with an unconventional layout. It would seem this is not an uncommon phenomenon. In which case I'm probably on the right track looking at the ignition. If it isn't that then I would think the inlet arrangement would be the culprit. One that I can't do much about though.

Having had a good look at the inlet tract and having read a bit about tuning this engine the inlet tract is too large and it's route is a bit tortuous. Probably conducive to flow reversal in the inlet track so maybe my plan for a D shaped port might help things. We'll see, it will be a couple of weeks at least before I will get to take the heads off and have a play so I'll probably wait until after trying the single fire coil.

Of course it could also be caused by pressure waves flying about the intake side. In which case I can't do much more than experiment with bellmouth length. Anyway, time for another beer......
Old 2nd July 2019
Chief Master Mechanic

OK, new single fire fitted today. Piece of piss to fit until you come to fit the tank and find it won't fit over the coil in the standard place. A quick look in the manuals showed that the Evo has the coil turned 90 degrees so I cobbled up a couple of brackets to do that and lower it about 20mm. I'll try and source the Evo bracket. I'm using exactly the same plugs and leads - everything. This is so I get a valid comparison with nothing else changed.
The bike has done a couple of thousand mile since I last did any maintenance so it now needs a service. This was deliberate as an out-of-tune bike shows up faults easier. The result? Better, about the same as if you adjust the valves and oil the chain. Nicer at low speeds but I don't expect any more top end. General sweeter with slightly better throttle response at low speeds. Nothing spectacular but If I were to buy a kit for another bike I'd go for the single fire. The indications so far are that there is still a fart but it isn't as bad, could be the bike was still a bit cold. I'll be using the bike regularly for the next week then I'll do a service next week before riding over to the other side of Norway to visit the Mrs. I will off course update this thread.
Old 2nd July 2019
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1973 HD/Aermacchi TX125
Other Motorcycle Model: 1966 Honda Dream 160
Whitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant futureWhitewalls has a brilliant future

I think the occasional carb fart is just the nature of the beast. My Ironhead with a VM38-9 is precisely tuned to pretty much a 1 kick bike and it runs nearly perfect.
I have noticed that the occasional carb farts occur more often with cheaper gas from the grocery store pumps. I try to stick with Chevron or Shell. 92 octane is the highest I can get here in the Seattle area. Considering the original manual calls for minimum 95 octane I always thought the issue was from the gas.
Old 3rd July 2019
Chief Master Mechanic

Thanks, I haven't noticed a difference with 98, here 95 is normal. I'll try this after I've serviced the bike
Old 3rd July 2019
Chief Master Mechanic

Took the bike to work so first run from stone cold. A lot sweeter when cold and the instability before the engine warms is almost gone. When warm the idle speed was lower and the exhaust smelt different. Less sharp. When I got to work I re-adjusted the idle mixture. About 1/3 out brought the idle back up. Will be interested to see how the town fuel economy works out. The best news is no spit backs - so far. I wonder if anybody has ever done part throttle Dyno runs comparing dual and single fire coils?
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd July 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond reputesportysrock has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Hammer has done just that so you can find info in their area of the site.

Sent with :-)
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.