The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Very Loud Backfiring (among other things)
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 177
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 26 Minutes Ago
Replies: 297
Views: 83,309
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45,677
Views: 7,219,260
0 Winter riding clothes
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 32
Views: 2,854
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14,587
Views: 814,764
0 Leakdown test
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 43
Views: 1,100
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 1,366
Views: 173,796
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: Flame__
Replies: 10,948
Views: 927,159
0 My new lift
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 11
Views: 761
0 never mind
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 69
Views: 3,323
0 Mounting headsets to helmets
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 11
Views: 332
0 Speedo for E-Z Bob/FatbobTank
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 4
Views: 127
5 73 Timing w/Strobe & 77 air/fuel screw
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 507
0 Pre-rubber stock exhaust to '08 heads and cylinders
Last Post: aswracing
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 137
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,315
Views: 1,471,106
0 Hydraulic Lift For XL
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 85
0 Thanks For The Add / In Michigan
Last Post: George Greer
Replies: 13
Views: 607
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 2,649
Views: 358,187
0 Cheap 7200B bearing = NO!
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,328
0 Need help with side valve hole rim and tube size . .
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 164
0 Dyno run XLH 1978
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 1,646
0 1982 XLH 1000 With 23 Original Miles
Last Post: The Doctor71
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 177
0 Interview of My Expieriences Riding in the Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ParrotHead
Views: 127
7 Ironhead yes or no
Last Post: ferretface
Replies: 27
Views: 1,004
0 1999 Sportster 883XLH
Replies: 3
Views: 154
0 Question on priming motor for kickstart
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 7
Views: 420
0 Voe
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 124
0 91-92 Service Manual For a 2K Bike
Replies: 3
Views: 328
0 Fork Upgrade to 39mm. Is This Possible/Wise
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 5
Views: 107
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 4,491
Views: 553,386
More...
Members Birthdays
ebikerman (83), nalakk (78), blkjak (76), Dave.N (65), cousincletus (59), stretch7 (57), jockeyshift (55), juice900 (41), sportsterwheelies (39), live_loud (37)
Tags
cam timing, generator, pinion gear

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
olander is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Generator bearing failure -> cam timing out of sync

Hi. New to the forum. With a problem a need some help with.

Was out riding last week. Uphill, 3rd gear, high rev, a sudden loud mechanical noise from the engine then total silence. I squeced the clutch lever and rollled in to the side of the road. Impossible to restart the bike, engine pressing air out of the carburator. Had to get a trailer to get the bike back to the garage.

Took of the valve cover and heads. Both piston, cylinder and valves looked okey . Put it all back together. The problem is still there. Engine will not start and blowing air back trough the carburator.

Took the cam cover of. The cams fell out so couldn’t see if the cam timing was correct. However all cams looked good. Took the generator a part and found it to be stuck with a broken needle bearing. Okey so guess I found what caused the sudden mechanical noise. Put all cams together again, used the (I) mark in the timing hole and timing mark on all valves. But the valves of the front cylinder are out of sync, exhaust and intake valve are open at the same time. This can’t be right! The valves on the rear cylinder seam to be right...not 100% sure.

Has the failed bearing in the generator twisted the gear on the number 4 cam? Since the gear with the timing mark is pressed fitted to the camshaft I guess that can happen?

Or has the pinion gear moved and thereby xxxxed up all the cam timing? How do I know if the pinion gear is correct?

I guess I’m lucky because I’ve not found any other broken parts the bearing in the generator .
Old 7th August 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
72 Ironhead XLH has disabled reputation

you dont use the vert line in the access hole to install cams
Old 8th August 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Cam timing is done by the marks on the cam gears and the pinion, not by the flywheel marks.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm hard headed
Old 8th August 2019
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on the above two posts. There is no relationship between ignition timing and cam timing. They should not have used the word "timing" with regard to cams. It causes the same problem for every newguy who comes along, and has for more than a half a century.

Did you remove the pushrods before removing the cam cover? This is an important step. It is possible to do damage to the cam bearings and related parts that are under pressure from the pushrods.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 8th August 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by olander View Post
But the valves of the front cylinder are out of sync, exhaust and intake valve are open at the same time.
Every other time the piston comes to top dead center both valves are slightly open in the over lap position. But not fully open.
Quote:
Has the failed bearing in the generator twisted the gear on the number 4 cam? Since the gear with the timing mark is pressed fitted to the camshaft I guess that can happen?
Yes that can happen.
Quote:
Or has the pinion gear moved and thereby xxxxed up all the cam timing? How do I know if the pinion gear is correct?
The only way the pinion gear can be out of position on your year bike is if the whole pinion shaft sheared its key and rotated in the flywheel. It's not likely. With the cams out you can see the center of the crankpin through the cam bearings. The mark on the pinion gear should point to the center of the crank pin.

As mentioned don't pay attention to the flywheel timing mark when installing cams. Just line up all the cam and pinion gear marks
Old 8th August 2019
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Try to blow compressed air through pinion end. That should show if key sheared and shafted rotated.
Old 8th August 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
Hopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to beholdHopalong48 is a splendid one to behold

years ago on my 70 XLCH I had a bearing come out of the generator and go thru the cams, I couldnt get it to run correctly until I replaced the cams, I don't know which one was bad I just put in a new more awesome set. I could get it to run on either the front cyl or the rear but never both. while I had the heads off I sent them out for a little tune up. I know I had it apart at least 20 times trying to get it right. everything lined up but if I moved it one of the cams one tooth it would run but poorly. the new generator had a round plate that kept the bearing from falling into the cams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 8th August 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1967
olander is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the tips. I’ve found what’s broken. The gear with the timing mark on cam 4 has spun. The gear with the timing mark on cam 2 has broken the woodruff key and spun. So that’s why the cam timing is all out of sync. I will se if I can fixed the cams. Otherwise I will buy new ones. Thanks guys.
Old 8th August 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. It must have taken a tremendous amount of force to do that to the #2 cam. I'm surprised you don't have broken gear teeth. You should get out the magnifying glass and check everything. You said you had the heads off. No bent valves?

Glad you found the problem/problems.
Sponsored Links
Old 8th August 2019
Chief of Security

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200/1250C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute60Gunner has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, should probably check for bent valves and pushrods. When my front exhaust cam was off a tooth the valve smucked the piston hard enough to put a good dent in it. Fortunately it was a a straight on shot and the the valve was miraculously unscathed.
HSR42 25 pilot 2 turns Y8 needle jet 97 needle 2nd groove 170 main
Dragtron II AC K&N filter/VR1 20W50/Spectro 85wt Primary Oil
Max torque 87.7@4400rpm/max hp 86.8@5600rpm