The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®
 

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,223
0 Converting 2003 engine to fuel injection setup from 2007&UP model
Last Post: Randy_rots
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,756
0 Top end failure
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 638
0 Coil readings
Last Post: Billy1200
Posted On: 41 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 78
0 Bandanas
Last Post: Padre
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 688
0 Top end reassembly...what goes where!?!?!
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 98
5 Eye Protection When Riding?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 277
Views: 69,128
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 20,023
Views: 2,039,900
0 3/4” Axle Drum Brake ??
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 56
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 47,732
Views: 7,641,523
0 UltraCool oil cooler safety concern
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 332
0 New guy from IL
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 48
8 Inexplicable miss
Last Post: gwcrim
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 146
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,558
Views: 323,677
14 I just kind of stumbled in here... like 100 times.
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 216
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: 01rk
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 35
Views: 1,385
0 Inherited Ironhead
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 514
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 611
0 Run external oil filter? 68 xlch
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,382
0 Noise and rod play
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 565
0 Hardtail 01 883C conversation.
Last Post: Vic8028
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 1,002
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,594
Views: 212,757
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 952
Views: 93,187
0 Transmission issues
Last Post: bobber58
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 156
0 Ironhead high speed cruise prob
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 278
0 Average age of the Ironhead forum users
Last Post: BigLerowski
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 465
Views: 98,814
0 K/n air filter,, and s/s super b long thumb screw bolts
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 208
0 What brake upgrade options does 1999 Sportster have? This is what I found!
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 1,444
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: xElvis
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,812
Views: 2,066,300
0 Cleaning carbon build-up
Last Post: xElvis
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 553
More...
Members Birthdays
FORCE50 (68), marcus (55), gardkarlsen (50), dhoppe1 (42), Hagen (42), tdyer55 (38)
View Poll Results: how often do people comment on your bike?
once per ride or more 871 38.27%
every other ride 345 15.16%
one in five rides 228 10.02%
one in 10 rides or less 104 4.57%
who cares? 728 31.99%
Voters: 2276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1221  
Old 29th March 2020
Bikeaholic Bikeaholic is offline
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: NSW, Australia.
Posts: 139
Sportster/Buell Model: xl1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Reputation: 118048
Bikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud ofBikeaholic has much to be proud of
Default

Yes Steve, same as we don't drive a horse.
Reply With Quote
  #1222  
Old 2nd April 2020
stick shift stick shift is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 37
Sportster/Buell Model: iron
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
Reputation: 68111
stick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud ofstick shift has much to be proud of
Default

I like people that are not motorcycle people. they tend to not have brand predigests. They just know what they like. I had a 2007 spotless Honda 919 sport bike and in two years not one person asked me about it or said nice bike.
I have had my 2014 Iron three weeks and almost every time i ride it somebody asks me about it.
I love tinkering with it in the garage as much as riding it. Just love the simplicity of Sportsters. Wish it was a 04-06 though, i like having a carb i could fix on the road. Tune the carb one time and you are done.
Reply With Quote
  #1223  
Old 3rd April 2020
boomerguy boomerguy is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Rural area in SW Virginia
Posts: 772
Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Reputation: 1715529
boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick shift View Post
I like people that are not motorcycle people. they tend to not have brand predigests. They just know what they like. I had a 2007 spotless Honda 919 sport bike and in two years not one person asked me about it or said nice bike.
I have had my 2014 Iron three weeks and almost every time i ride it somebody asks me about it.
I love tinkering with it in the garage as much as riding it. Just love the simplicity of Sportsters. Wish it was a 04-06 though, i like having a carb i could fix on the road. Tune the carb one time and you are done.
Exactly! I've been riding motorcycles since 1963 and I've always considered myself to be a "motorcycle guy". I just got my first Sportster - luckily a 2005 because of the carb and its overall simplicity - and I love it. However, I am not a "Harley guy". I've ridden and owned many different brands and models from different countries from Europe to Asia. There have been good and bad ones in the batch and they have all given me more good memories than bad ones. They have all had distinct personalities.
I was pleasantly surprised in a conversation with the parts guy in the local H-D dealership who smiled and said that he didn't even own a Harley, he has a Yamaha. He has owned Harley's and other bikes and likes them all. I can't speak for other dealerships, but this particular one does not have any issues with employees or customers owning non-Harley's. It has a very nice atmosphere.
I do have to say that my 2005 Sporty XL883 standard has been continually impressing me with its overall quality ever since I bought it over a year ago. But I'm still not a "Harley guy". As a matter of fact, when people ask me what I ride, I don't even mention, "Harley-Davidson"; I just say I have a little Sportster.
Reply With Quote
  #1224  
Old 3rd April 2020
Steve9's Avatar
Steve9 Steve9 is offline
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Loxahatchee, FL (S. FL)
Posts: 231
Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Reputation: 339225
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaholic View Post
Yes Steve, same as we don't drive a horse.
Reckon. Never thought of it like that, good analogy.
Reply With Quote
  #1225  
Old 28th May 2020
Iron Mike Iron Mike is offline
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,723
Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Reputation: 601147
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerguy View Post
Exactly! I've been riding motorcycles since 1963 and I've always considered myself to be a "motorcycle guy". I just got my first Sportster - luckily a 2005 because of the carb and its overall simplicity - and I love it. However, I am not a "Harley guy". I've ridden and owned many different brands and models from different countries from Europe to Asia. There have been good and bad ones in the batch and they have all given me more good memories than bad ones. They have all had distinct personalities.
I was pleasantly surprised in a conversation with the parts guy in the local H-D dealership who smiled and said that he didn't even own a Harley, he has a Yamaha. He has owned Harley's and other bikes and likes them all. I can't speak for other dealerships, but this particular one does not have any issues with employees or customers owning non-Harley's. It has a very nice atmosphere.
I do have to say that my 2005 Sporty XL883 standard has been continually impressing me with its overall quality ever since I bought it over a year ago. But I'm still not a "Harley guy". As a matter of fact, when people ask me what I ride, I don't even mention, "Harley-Davidson"; I just say I have a little Sportster.
If you dont atleast try different brands, as a motorcyclist, you never realize what your missing out on.
Reply With Quote
  #1226  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
heroido's Avatar
heroido heroido is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Reputation: 10
heroido is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Here you go hammer, the green beast.


Wow thats an awesome looking sporty!!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1227  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
heroido's Avatar
heroido heroido is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Reputation: 10
heroido is an unknown quantity at this point
Default


I was giving mine some love today! This is my first harley. I was a police officer and use to ride honda shadows as an issue bike in the police department. I rode police bikes for 12 years (yamahas, hondas) it was back in Puerto Rico so we needed the cooling those bikes offered plus they are way less expensive when the goverment buys them in bulk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1228  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
heroido's Avatar
heroido heroido is offline
Biker
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 10
Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Reputation: 10
heroido is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroido View Post

I was giving mine some love today! This is my first harley. I was a police officer and use to ride honda shadows as an issue bike in the police department. I rode police bikes for 12 years (yamahas, hondas) it was back in Puerto Rico so we needed the cooling those bikes offered plus they are way less expensive when the goverment buys them in bulk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now i live in Massachussets and im riding my sporty everywhere if the weather permits it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1229  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Hellbent_4 Hellbent_4 is offline
Harley Engineer
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On lake Erie
Posts: 302
Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Reputation: 102822
Hellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud ofHellbent_4 has much to be proud of
Default

Last week at a gas stop an employee was taking a smoke break and said "That's a nice color". Impact Blue for the win!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
XL Forum® - Linson Media LLC