The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
10 New rider - XL1200S in Aus.
Last Post: JacksBrother
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 2,006
0 Worst Harley rider ever.
Last Post: crazyphuzz
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 184
0 Lots of issues 78
Last Post: Mrhorn12
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 145
0 New to the Harley Brand
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 178
0 What's your helmet?
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,558
0 Yetman drag frame
Last Post: Slojoe55
Replies: 31
Views: 11,167
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 226
Views: 16,077
0 Sizing cylinders too pistons
Last Post: Yakcm2
Replies: 11
Views: 408
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 5,290
Views: 584,679
0 Shovester Sighting
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 7,249
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 41,221
Views: 6,320,416
0 1998 Sportster Ignition Problems
Last Post: james69
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 705
0 Starter circuit without relay
Last Post: ChicagoSlim
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 106
0 PLEASE READ THIS Before You Post In 'The BUY - SELL - TRADE Zone'!
Last Post: kk38k
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 1,039
0 I finally learned how to work the system!
Last Post: Ranchero50
Replies: 8
Views: 250
0 Broken exhaust stud questions.
Replies: 7
Views: 231
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Replies: 2,582
Views: 207,612
0 What coil(s) do you run with your Dyna S ignition?
Last Post: stanroyal
Replies: 7
Views: 162
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 2,723
Views: 246,047
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,594
Views: 559,217
0 Carb
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 15
Views: 453
0 Issue until up to temp
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 17
Views: 495
0 1981 XLH turns over won’t start
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 5
Views: 64
5 Legendary Jerry Branch on Gearing quote and question...
Last Post: groovemeisterus
Replies: 0
Views: 53
0 77 idling
Last Post: fbroos73
Replies: 2
Views: 86
6 Asgardia Regional area
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 372
0 Sportsterpedia Progress
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 164
Views: 32,619
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 1,514
Views: 152,642
0 Show us your bike next to a Water Tower.
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 62
Views: 13,352
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
JonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud of
Default Setting starter bendix end play.

Ready to put the rebuilt starter back in the board tracker after repairing the solenoid.
Everything looks good now but I can't seem to find anything on setting/shimming the bendix. It's just as I disassembled it with one .050" bronze shim on the shaft that fits into the bearing in the primary case cover. Since I don't want to R&R the starter too many times, I'm wondering about light chatter marks on the overriding clutch shell. That tells me the bendix is engaging too far and the teeth on the clutch housing are marking the bendix clutch.
Using the starter assy to inner starter mounting surface seam as a datum line, it looks like it measures out to a .15625" gap between the bendix shaft thrust washer and the corresponding surface of the bendix shaft bearing holder on the inside of the primary.

As for clutch housing ring gear inner face to outer face of bendix gear teeth;
That works out to about .150" gap the bendix has to travel before it meets the ring gear.
All these dimensions were taken with the starter on the bench, everything powered down, relaxed, retracted.
It also looks like it could be a balancing act in getting the tooth engagement right while still letting the solenoid do it's job of closing the battery lug contacts.

Don't know if it'll help or hinder but here's a rough sketch of what I'm seeing/dimensioning.
Anybody got any suggestions, tips, words of sympathy?

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

I have never made any of these measurements, never even thought about it. I have just installed the parts and they worked. See what others may say.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

JonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud ofJonesL has much to be proud of

I can do that Mick. I just like heading off problems before they surface and the tooth marks on the bendix clutch housing tell me something is hitting that wasn't part of the original design.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

If there is room to put a second brass washer, which it seems so @ .15+" gap.

I would try that to keep the housing out of the ring gear.

I have seen this before on big twins because of the differences in aftermarket covers.
Some BTs also need a shim in the plunger so it presses the disc properly into the motor contacts.

Another problem with too much end play is the shaft gets pulled out of the reduction gear.
this can reduce the spline engagement between the shaft and the reduction gear and reduces the amount of engagement with both the needle bearings.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Mick, I know the manual shows only one thrust washer but .150" gap is like three additional washers' thickness. I asked the local Harley dealer only to be told that they have no one familiar with ironheads-- they don't even work on Evos anymore...

rick, I think I'm going to try one more thrust washer. I'm thinking 3 more would close up the gap but might lead to problems with the disc contacting the lugs.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: SuperLow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
maltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond reputemaltesefalcon has a reputation beyond repute

The last couple seasons I have found riding more difficult. My back was always sore after . (Two herniated discs from to a head on collision courtesy of a drunk driver in 1979. In my car though. Otherwise I would have been DOA)

I wouldn't ride at night any more. Age does affect night vision and it happens surprisingly fast. On top of everything else I have asthma which got worse.

I was kiddng myself, really. Guess I really wanted to get one more Friday 13th run in. Now that its over I have a sense of closure. If I hadn't gone I think I would never have felt the same way.

Thanks all for the supportive comments!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Note to self: Never dismiss anything as "well, the problem couldn't be this".
All the wrestling with my starter engagement problems turned out to be the solenoid boot.
Turns out it was old, stiff, and had a spot where it was being pinched.
Starter assy out and worked by hand didn't give the same action/motion as when being pulled in by the solenoid itself.
Same principle applies to chain; chains must always be pulled (ever try to push one?).
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant futurebrucstoudt has a brilliant future

when you finish with your project,and want to fiddle with something new,consider a kick start.they were pretty common in'71.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I'm already there, brucstoudt. My '71 iron head is equipped with both electric and kick.
Only problem with the kick start is that it engages about 9:30 and disengages about 7:15. I'd like it to have an earlier engagement and a longer duration where it stays engaged. I've got another gear and kicker shaft that has the square end clocked different. In the middle of building and fabricating, tinkering with the kick starter was low on the priorities but now that the bike is done, I may look into redesigning it.
I know, I know... I asked a what fits what question of a resident expert and the first two paragraphs in his response were; Harley has an engineering department and has spent millions of dollars on research and development and how dare you think you know better than them, etc. etc. etc. Didn't cure me of wanting to improve my kicker but it sure cured me of wanting to ask questions.

For all who have been following my posts and this project: Sunday is a kinda big day-- the first road test.
A buddy is going to ride along on his big twin and can get on all sides to watch and see things like; are both front and rear wheels running in the same path, is everything that's supposed to turn, turning and is anything that's not supposed be turning, turning?
He can also pick up and load his saddlebags with anything that falls off en-route.

Last edited by JonesL; 3 Weeks Ago at 21:34..
Sponsored Links